Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amir Johnson is the Rudy Ruettiger of the Toronto Raptors !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Johnson is the Rudy Ruettiger of the Toronto Raptors !!!

Coach to Andrea Bargnani "If you had half the heart Amir Johnson has you'd be an All Star. Instead your just considered an overpaid contract by half the league."

FREE AMIR !!!!

Trade Amir!

Bargnani/Davis PF combo is superior overall and more complementary, allowing for better matchup exploitation than an Amir/Davis PF combo, which is pure redundancy. I like Amir and what he brings to the table, but the problem facing him is that Davis is a better, younger, cheaper version of everything that Amir offers. The Raps don't need two blue collar bangers at PF - one banger and one finesse scorer is a more effective mix at a single position, IMO.

Comment

Neither Amir nor Ed are "blue collar bangers". That would be Aaron Gray and Jamaal Magloire.

Comment

Ed is an all star PF and Amir is a hustle guy. And Andrea is a soft jumpshooter, trade andrea

Comment

trade everyone!
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Trade Amir!

Bargnani/Davis PF combo is superior overall and more complementary, allowing for better matchup exploitation than an Amir/Davis PF combo, which is pure redundancy. I like Amir and what he brings to the table, but the problem facing him is that Davis is a better, younger, cheaper version of everything that Amir offers. The Raps don't need two blue collar bangers at PF - one banger and one finesse scorer is a more effective mix at a single position, IMO.
            And you wonder why I write the comments about Bargnani that I do? Because people keep writing things like this. Apparently you want me to just ignore comments I disagree with?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Trade Amir!

This makes sense if the discussion is limited to the starting lineup. But we also need serviceable minutes from the bench, which is a role Amir is perfectly suited for.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                This makes sense if the discussion is limited to the starting lineup. But we also need serviceable minutes from the bench, which is a role Amir is perfectly suited for.
                I could see Amir stealing some minutes at the 5 if the opposing team's 5 isnt too big.
                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Johnson is a plus offensive rebounder with no additional plus skills. He's a small, weak version of Tyrone Hill. He can be replaced. Ed Davis is a 2-way player with plus skills on both ends.

Johnson is a perfect example of why size matters in the NBA. If he was a couple inches taller and 25 pounds heavier, he's Hill or Oakley, or Kendrick Perkins. Lacking that size he's just an interchangeable part -- a big forward in a small forward's body, or, if you like, a small forward with big forward skills.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                    Johnson is a plus offensive rebounder with no additional plus skills. He's a small, weak version of Tyrone Hill. He can be replaced. Ed Davis is a 2-way player with plus skills on both ends.

Johnson is a perfect example of why size matters in the NBA. If he was a couple inches taller and 25 pounds heavier, he's Hill or Oakley, or Kendrick Perkins. Lacking that size he's just an interchangeable part -- a big forward in a small forward's body, or, if you like, a small forward with big forward skills.
                    Everyone can be replaced. What there aren't a lot of in the NBA are athletic big men who hustle, rebound, defend, move well without the ball and score efficiently. If you think there are, then explain to me why guys like Drew Gooden and Tyrus THomas are getting paid more.

Honestly, I really don't understand where this type of criticism of Amir comes from.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Everyone can be replaced. What there aren't a lot of in the NBA are athletic big men who hustle, rebound, defend, move well without the ball and score efficiently. If you think there are, then explain to me why guys like Drew Gooden and Tyrus THomas are getting paid more.

Honestly, I really don't understand where this type of criticism of Amir comes from.
                      I don't think it is as much criticism as it is trying to be a little more realistic on the guys ability. Amir is a solid bench player/spot starter. He runs the floor well, can finish on the pick n roll, and has developed a reliable 15 foot shot. I don't think he is an above average athlete at his position, nor is he a great rebounder or shot-blocker, he is decent at those things, but not great. I like the upside that Ed has more than Amir, I feel he will be a better rebounder than Amir and will have a little more versatility to his offensive game than Amir as well. The Argument that Andrea teamed with Ed as a Power forward tandem is better than an ED Amir PF tandem does have merit, for it to be dismissed is pure bias on that person. Andrea's ability to take players off the bounce, spread the floor, and his improved post game are all reasons that he can be a great ying to Ed's yang mixing up match-ups vs. the opponent. Now the argument on his lack of rebounding and defense can be made to favour Amir, and it is valid, but there is no clear cut answer to this debate.

EDIT: Tim, this is not directed at you, I just quoted your reply. It is a general comment to all the people who think this argument is cut and dry.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
                        Coach to Andrea Bargnani "If you had half the heart Amir Johnson has you'd be an All Star. Instead your just considered an overpaid contract by half the league."
                        wait, was this actually said?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          The Argument that Andrea teamed with Ed as a Power forward tandem is better than an ED Amir PF tandem does have merit, for it to be dismissed is pure bias on that person.
                          The Bargs/Davis idea does have merit, but it ignores the fact that both of these players can't play 48 minute games. We need Amir for that reason alone. Amir isn't a starter.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            The Bargs/Davis idea does have merit, but it ignores the fact that both of these players can't play 48 minute games. We need Amir for that reason alone. Amir isn't a starter.
                            People are missing what is being said, both Andrea and Ed are Power forwards, thus 48 minutes between the two of them, Andrea picks up time at the 5 to balance out minutes. We do need to have a third big logging 20 plus minutes a game, but that will (should be) a true center.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                              People are missing what is being said, both Andrea and Ed are Power forwards, thus 48 minutes between the two of them, Andrea picks up time at the 5 to balance out minutes. We do need to have a third big logging 20 plus minutes a game, but that will (should be) a true center.
                              I expect all 3 players to be interchangeable between PF and C this season. The clear cut loser will be moved prior to Valanciunas arriving next year.

I don't think giving either Magloire or Gray heavy minutes does anything to help this team develop moving forward. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X