Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amir Johnson is the Rudy Ruettiger of the Toronto Raptors !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon wrote: View Post
    Sure they could sign them. Miami was the only team with enough cap space to sign Bosh, Wade, and James. This nonsense about NBA players not liking Toronto is b.s. If anything, they don't like the amateurish organization. And neither do I.
    New Jersey could have, and Chicago could have signed two of them (while keeping Rose). And while I think the notion that no one wants to play in Toronto is too often overstated, the fact of the matter is that Chris Paul and Dwight Howard listed most of the same teams they wanted to be traded to. And it was the same cities people usually hear mentioned, Los Angeles, Dallas and New York. Nobody was talking about going to Oklahoma, despite them being one of the best young teams out there.

And IF Toronto is in the running for an elite player outside of the draft, having nice, young pieces like Amir are crucial. Most likely it's not going to be a straight signing and Amir is a very good asset to have.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      New Jersey could have, and Chicago could have signed two of them (while keeping Rose). And while I think the notion that no one wants to play in Toronto is too often overstated, the fact of the matter is that Chris Paul and Dwight Howard listed most of the same teams they wanted to be traded to. And it was the same cities people usually hear mentioned, Los Angeles, Dallas and New York. Nobody was talking about going to Oklahoma, despite them being one of the best young teams out there.

And IF Toronto is in the running for an elite player outside of the draft, having nice, young pieces like Amir are crucial. Most likely it's not going to be a straight signing and Amir is a very good asset to have.
      Having young superstar pieces like Blake Griffin is crucial. Paul agreed to sign a short-term deal with the worst owner in pro sports.

Comment

Having young superstar pieces like Blake Griffin is crucial. Paul agreed to sign a short-term deal with the worst owner in pro sports.
        ...because he owned a team located in Los Angeles, as well as the fact they have Blake Griffin. If they weren't in Los Angeles, but, say, Salt Lake City, do you think Paul would be fine with being traded there?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

...because he owned a team located in Los Angeles, as well as the fact they have Blake Griffin. If they weren't in Los Angeles, but, say, Salt Lake City, do you think Paul would be fine with being traded there?
          I do.

Comment

I do.
            You think it was a coincidence that the two cities Paul agreed to be traded to were New York and L.A.?
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

You think it was a coincidence that the two cities Paul agreed to be traded to were New York and L.A.?
              Yes. I think he wanted to go to New York to play with Carmelo Anthony. I think he agreed to play for the Clippers for 2 years because they currently have an impressive roster. I think he wanted out of Ne Orleans because it's a dead franchise that nobody's buried yet. I think eventually it will end up in Seattle. And I think some of these guys would have wanted to go to Toronto if the Raptors had the same kinds of impressive players and cap space as the aforementioned teams. Guys want to play for the Lakers because there's a track record of success -- something like 15 of the past 30 seasons they've been in the finals. I think if Toronto had cleared the books, and had the ability to sign James and Wade, it's possible Toronto would have those guys and not Miami. Especially if the Raptors had the rights to young players and could put together a better team than Miami.

Comment

Yes. I think he wanted to go to New York to play with Carmelo Anthony. I think he agreed to play for the Clippers for 2 years because they currently have an impressive roster. I think he wanted out of Ne Orleans because it's a dead franchise that nobody's buried yet. I think eventually it will end up in Seattle. And I think some of these guys would have wanted to go to Toronto if the Raptors had the same kinds of impressive players and cap space as the aforementioned teams. Guys want to play for the Lakers because there's a track record of success -- something like 15 of the past 30 seasons they've been in the finals. I think if Toronto had cleared the books, and had the ability to sign James and Wade, it's possible Toronto would have those guys and not Miami. Especially if the Raptors had the rights to young players and could put together a better team than Miami.
                Now, I'm not one of those guys who thinks that players will never want to sign with Toronto. I've often said that players will go where they think that will win. But that's not the only factor. All things being relatively equal, players will go with the team in the more attractive city. And while Toronto isn't Minneapolis or Cleveland, it's also not Miami, L.A. or even New York.

Even though Oklahoma would be a perfect destination for both Howard and Paul, it's never mentioned. The teams have the pieces to make a deal and still have enough talent to be a contender, but because they play in Oklahoma City, it's simply not an attractive destination for players. That said, I think Toronto is much more attractive than Oklahoma City.
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Now, I'm not one of those guys who thinks that players will never want to sign with Toronto. I've often said that players will go where they think that will win. But that's not the only factor. All things being relatively equal, players will go with the team in the more attractive city. And while Toronto isn't Minneapolis or Cleveland, it's also not Miami, L.A. or even New York.
                  But if there was a spectrum, I would say we're closer to the New York, L.A. side.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I'm not a big follower of baseball, but when the Blue Jays were winning championships in the early 90's weren't they able to attract the top free agents? And baseball fans correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Blue Jays offered enough money (and years), they would have been able to acquire Fielder who I think was one of the top FA's of this year's class.

The Raptors should have no problem attracting free agents and top talent. The problem is that their history speaks volumes. Once the team starts winning and actually gets to play games on US national television, I think they will get some attention. 2015 here we come!
                    100% Correct PlanetMars. Totally agree.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                      But if there was a spectrum, I would say we're closer to the New York, L.A. side.
                      Yes, I agree. But my point is that if it's a choice between L.A., Miami, New York, Dallas and Toronto, then Toronto is last on the list.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

trade amir and bargnani, neither are needed.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I'm not a big follower of baseball, but when the Blue Jays were winning championships in the early 90's weren't they able to attract the top free agents? And baseball fans correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Blue Jays offered enough money (and years), they would have been able to acquire Fielder who I think was one of the top FA's of this year's class.

The Raptors should have no problem attracting free agents and top talent. The problem is that their history speaks volumes. Once the team starts winning and actually gets to play games on US national television, I think they will get some attention. 2015 here we come!
                          no doubt they will.

But that begs, how do you get to that point?

If you aren't an attractive destination, you need to make yourself an atractive destination (by winning). If you win by having a superstar(s) that means a team like Toronto has to draft a superstar.

As it applies to Amir... Amir is not a superstar. He will not be traded for a superstar (or a superstar worthy asset... ie. a top draft pick). At the same time, he is a productive player. Trading him will not yield anything more valueable then what he already provides. But if for some reason a team values him highly and is willing to give up alot for him, you move him without thinking twice. Should that not happen, it makes more sense to keep him and use him wherever the team needs him (3rd big, spot starter, starter etc). He gets fair pay for what he provides and earns his paycheque every night.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            trade amir and bargnani, neither are needed.
                            So you expect Ed Davis to play 48 mpg?
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                            X