Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ESPN Insider] Offseason grades; Raptors get a B

TORONTO RAPTORS

Key additions: Jonas Valanciunas (draft), Gary Forbes (FA), Rasual Butler (FA), Aaron Gray (FA), Anthony Carter (FA), Jamaal Magloire (FA)

Key subtractions: Sonny Weems

GM Bryan Colangelo got a second lease on his job this offseason. With the pressure off, he is wisely preaching patience as he rebuilds the Raptors in the wake of Chris Bosh's defection last year.

The team got off to a great start when it landed what could be the steal of the draft, Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas, with the No. 5 pick. The Raptors took a gamble, knowing Valanciunas can't play in the NBA this season. But he is worth the risk. The team is in dire need of help in the middle, and when he comes over, he should be a franchise type of center.

The Raptors will try to repeat that haul in the 2012 draft -- widely considered one of the strongest in the past five years. They won't be very good this season, but a high draft choice will be balm to that wound. The Raptors are eyeing about $15 million in cap space next summer too (even more if they choose to grant amnesty to Jose Calderon or Linas Kleiza then) and feel that next year's free-agent class has a lot more potential.

GRADE: B
    Source

I had seen this and was wondering what Ford had to say. He's one of the very few 'journalists' I respect at ESPN.

Quite surprised at the Grade actually. I guess alot of that is based of JV.

Comment

Other than drafting Val, getting Casey/making Triano gtfo was by far our most important move.

Comment

I think that's the right grade. Colangelo stuck to his game plan. He got veterans with 1 year deals, and is looking to 2012 to make a splash.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I think that's the right grade. Colangelo stuck to his game plan. He got veterans with 1 year deals, and is looking to 2012 to make a splash.
          I agree.

I think Casey deserves mention, too. This is a whole philosophical shift along the sidelines, a 180 compared to the majority of BC's time here (whoops, I just saw WhatWhat's comment saying the same thing).

Comment

Very fair. I'd go with B+ but whatever. We'll see what Casey can do on offense.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Maybe he forgot about GARY FORBES
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Maybe he forgot about GARY FORBES
                You mean the same Gary Forbes listed second in among the names in key additions??

Definitely need to add Casey to the list of the analysis, and that alone bumps the grade.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                  Definitely need to add Casey to the list of the analysis, and that alone bumps the grade.
                  I agree that Casey was a great hire. I always liked Jay and being a Canadian had a lot to do with it. However Jay was not getting the job done. Perhaps a few solid veterns like Casey has now might have helped Jay because he was not able to hold his players accountable.

Casey is very respected in the NBA and he did an outstanding job in Dallas. Most people feel that Casey was not given a real opportunity to show what he could do when he coached Minnesota. Perhaps he is the guy that can get Andrea to fully buy in to the program, and be a more complete player. I don't think there is any issue with Bargnani's phycial skills, the real problem is the area between his ears or his perceived lack of desire.

Bottom line Casey definately should have been mentioned and the Raptors should have been given a B+.

Comment

i do like casey a great deal, and am very happy with the hire, for all the reasons that have been mentioned. so far, things are looking good. but i hope we temper our expectations somewhat. this is still a bad team, and before seasons start, TO fans (of all sports) have a penchant for understanding exactly what their team is, what the expectations are for that team that year, are all on board with the philosophy...and then we lose our collective shit if they start 2-8. it's going to be a tough year, and it won't always be easy to see improvement if we let Ws & Ls get in the way...i hope the fans/media are patient with casey and give him the time/space he needs.
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

It is way too early to talk about Casey's handling of the team in my opinion, but I'm loving the kinds of things he's talking about in interviews. Actions definitely speak loader than words, but the things he talks about put a smile on my face.

The real challenge will be complacency. If a player has a bad game (specifically on the defensive end), I would love to know how Casey reacts to that said individual. I wonder if he would use the press to call that individual out, or to see if either that player gets benched or reacts positively to Casey's reaction.

Demar had a very lousy defensive game against Boston. I wonder if anything will be said to him. He will obviously still start, but you can only give someone so much rope. Although in Demar's 'defense'.. defending Allen is a tough task.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        It is way too early to talk about Casey's handling of the team in my opinion, but I'm loving the kinds of things he's talking about in interviews. Actions definitely speak loader than words, but the things he talks about put a smile on my face.

The real challenge will be complacency. If a player has a bad game (specifically on the defensive end), I would love to know how Casey reacts to that said individual. I wonder if he would use the press to call that individual out, or to see if either that player gets benched or reacts positively to Casey's reaction.

Demar had a very lousy defensive game against Boston. I wonder if anything will be said to him. He will obviously still start, but you can only give someone so much rope. Although in Demar's 'defense'.. defending Allen is a tough task.
                        Accountability is crucial as is the elimination of double standards within the team.

I truly hope Casey uses this year to set the tone for what will hopefully be a long and successful tenure.

Comment

we all love casey now but lets see as the season goes on. i'm worried about the offense and potential hot potato play calling at the end of games. it really doesn't help we have a go-to scorer.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                            Other than drafting Val, getting Casey/making Triano gtfo was by far our most important move.
                            hey, easy. don't be so hard on triano.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              hey, easy. don't be so hard on triano.
                              Why not? He deserves it.

Comment

Working...
                              X