Some Props to Amir and Jose !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    It's also one of the reasons I could see Jose here long term. He would look good as a backup behind a great PG like Williams, and would be a nice change of pace to a guy like Westbrook. The biggest qustion with Jose is does he get amnestied this summer? I don't think need to in order to offer a max contract to someone(not positive), so I guess it depends on what else we would do.
    In 2012-13, the Raptors have $39.5M on the books including Calderon, plus 2 first round draft picks which is around $6M, and whatever contract Forbes signed which I assume is between $1.5 and $2M. That take us up to $47-48M. The most the Raptors could offer a free agent would be around $10M in this case.

I do agree Calderon would be a good, scratch that, a GREAT back up. However, he might be able to get a contract equal to or greater in Spain than what I feel he would be worth in Toronto (no more than $4M). The other concern that I always have with him is his health.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      In 2012-13, the Raptors have $39.5M on the books including Calderon, plus 2 first round draft picks which is around $6M, and whatever contract Forbes signed which I assume is between $1.5 and $2M. That take us up to $47-48M. The most the Raptors could offer a free agent would be around $10M in this case.

I do agree Calderon would be a good, scratch that, a GREAT back up. However, he might be able to get a contract equal to or greater in Spain than what I feel he would be worth in Toronto (no more than $4M). The other concern that I always have with him is his health.
      In that case Jose becomes the obvious casualty if amnestying him makes any difference in the Raptors ability to sign a max guy. It is possible the space is created through a trade or two, or some completely different move takes place that none of us will see coming. If we have to do a sign and trade, I'm still not sure what would be a good choice. Anyone would come at a very high cost in terms of assets. I don't know why OKC wouldn't match offers for Westbrook and I think he'd be crazy to want out and seriously have to question whether I'd want him. Think McGrady leaving here instead of staying with Carter, or Kobe after the 3peat wanting to be the 'man' until Shaq actually left and he realized how much it sucks trying to carry a team. Westbrook should stay with that team, whcih can stay intact for a few years and make runs at championships, and he's crazy, stupid or both if he leaves (assuming OKC does match).

Comment

That's the tricky part about Calderon. One good game and we think he's part of the core... until the hamstring gives out. I'm convinced that if BC cannot draft a 3 in this upcoming draft, he will go after a PG. Calderon is good for now. As for trading him, his age and contract (albeit an expiring one), may prove to be difficult to move. The one thing I won't be in favour of personally is to move him for nothing a la Lamar Odom. He could be moved to a contender by season's end but it has to be for a piece. The Lakers for example may need him down the line.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

He's definitely not part of the core, but it can be good to hang on to guys who've been around the team a long time. Continuity is never a bad thing, especially if we can't upgrade talent. I would love for some miraculous events to happen this summer and I wouldn't mind seeing Calderon and Bayless gone. But for that to happen, it would have to mean an upgrade. If we somehow get someone like DW or RW, and then miraculously convince someone like Nash to be our main guard off the bench (would make a great match with Deron who can slide over to shoot 3s at the other guard spot), I would never want to see Jose again. However that is highly unlikely, and I definitely would not want to Odom him away. Hold onto him til he expires or til you have to amnesty him. And if he expires and we have a PG of the future in place, maybe see if it's worth bringing him back cheap as a backup, because we all know that's a role him, and his hamstrings, are better suited for.

Comment

Working...
          X