David West
    Al Horford
    Brandon Bass
    Nene Hilario
    Nick Young
    Luol Deng
    Richard Hamilton
    Samuel Dalembert

Why do you need Monta Ellis (who brings mainly Low Percentage Scoring and some assists) if you've already got Derrick Rose, Ben Gordon, Tony Parker, Manu, and Nick Young who all basically do the exact same thing. Al Horford is a Top 10 Center and I wouldn't give him up so easily.

If you didn't have all those guys already, then I'd take a look at Monta, but not with that Roster.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Why do you need Monta Ellis (who brings mainly Low Percentage Scoring and some assists) if you've already got Derrick Rose, Ben Gordon, Tony Parker, Manu, and Nick Young who all basically do the exact same thing. Al Horford is a Top 10 Center and I wouldn't give him up so easily.

If you didn't have all those guys already, then I'd take a look at Monta, but not with that Roster.
      It's called punting, and you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I still wouldn't do the trade though, you have too many PG/SG candidates.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
        Geez .. no need to be mean about it Prime. :P

You're right, I'd never heard of this 'punting' term, and now because of you, I am a wiser man.

Comment

Monta is a top 10 player in fantasy for the last few seasons. If you bring him in you can recoup what Horford gives through another deal getting rid of Gordon, Parker, Manu or Young. I'd make the deal if you can flip one or two of those guys for a Hibbert type C.

Comment

I wouldn't do the deal. If you can't clearly see it making your team better then you don't do the deal. That's my rule of thumb and it's served me well.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post

I still wouldn't do the trade though, you have too many PG/SG candidates.
              exactly what is being punted? Big men?

Punting a category, atleast effectively, doesn't mean loading up on repetetive players and positions. It just means one can ignore/change the value of guys who do things exceptional well or poorly in that category.

Al Horford does everything well and nothing poorly. He fits any punting startegy, or well rounded team strategy, and considering the lack of big men he is worth keeping (there are only so many PG/SG spots one can fill on any given day and there is nothing worse then coming to the end of the season with no positional games left available)
              Last edited by GarbageTime; Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Sounds like he's referring to punting the FG% stat category. Nothing wrong with that as long as you stay committed to it.

Comment

punting FG% doesn't make much sense with that team

Rose/Manu/Tony/Deng/Young all have solid FG%s (for their positions) and at the very least are not enough to hurt a team much

West has a good FG%, Horford and Nene are two very positive FG% players. Dalembert, assuming he gets minutes, will have a very good % to.

Ben Gordon and Stuckey I see, but they are late picks and could easily be dropped if necessary (or traded). Stuckey for a big would probably be a nice addition

(based on career and last years averages)

I really don't see a punt strategy there, but a good 'all around' strategy with that team, atleast with the way players were drafted.

Comment

Working...
                  X