Nowitzki Regarding Andrea: “He’s way more athletic than I ever was”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nowitzki Regarding Andrea: “He’s way more athletic than I ever was”

Nice compliments coming from Dirk. I think today was the first time since Andrea came into the league where I actually saw the similarities between him and Nowitzki. And I liked what I saw.

“He’s way more athletic than I ever was,” Nowitzki said of Bargnani, his fellow 7-footer. “He’s shooting way quicker, he’s got a quick first step. He’s a tough matchup because he’s so quick now off the dribble and he’s shooting the ball really well this year.”
    Source - Click here

I've never seen a 7 footer who could put the ball on the ground, get around his man and go in for a dunk like a shooting guard -- which of course Bargs did today and has done many times this season. I wish they could find some way to harness that ability relentlessly, not just once a game or once a week. Can you imagine Olajuwon, Robinson, Kareem, any of these guys doing that? Not to say Bargs is better than they were, but he's definitely a unique player.

Comment

"I've never seen a 7 footer who could put the ball on the ground..."

I think he has improved more this season (3 mos), psyche as well, than his previous years combined. Wonder where the ceiling is...hmmmm.

Comment

im happy that he has gotten serious about winning.

Comment

I think it's more mental with Bargs now, I mean he knows what he can and can't do against certian teams and players . He can recognize good match ups and bad ones, i just think when the shots aren't falling then it seems like he goes into hiding in some games, so much so that you may not see him two or three games it carries over.

One positive that i have seen this year from him is when the shots aren't falling he can turn it up on the other end playing D and rebounding.I hope he hears what Dirk thinks and maybe that will affect his confidence in a positve way that even other great players see that he is turning into the player he is supposed to be.
          "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

This makes me think back to not too long ago when CB4 was just starting to come into his own and after an exciting game against the Spurs Tim Duncan has some be kind words about Bosh's game. It really helped "validate" what we thought we were seeing.

Comment

Pretty much the same thing Dirk said about Bargnani during his rookie season

Andrea Bargnani, the No. 1 pick in the draft, had 12 points, including two 3-pointers. The 7-foot Italian has often been compared to Nowitzki because of his size and outside shot.

"He's a better player than when I was 19 or 20," Nowitzki said of the 21-year-old Bargnani. "He's going to be a heck of a player. He's a little more athletic than I even was back then. He can drive a little better than me."
              After the Raptors lost by a point at home during that division winning season.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

I don't think Bargnani is as good an athlete as Dirk was. He doesn't possess the same agility, balance and overall body control/coordination.

Speed wise + leaping ability + quickness (first step) ... I think Bargnani is highly comparable to Dirk's physical attributes while Dirk was at the top of his game (2003-2008). Bargnani is a better leaper too.

I thought Dirk was a fair bit quicker than Bargnani over the course of their first couple of seasons. Particularly Dirk's first 2-3 years in the league.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of physical attributes, I don't think there's anything stopping Bargnani from becoming an elite player on either end of the floor.
                Last edited by Dave; Mon Jan 18, 2010, 01:47 AM.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

Now, if Andrea can master that contested fading 2 from the elbows, we can officially call him the greatest shooting big man in the game.

Comment

Bargs could be more than Dirk - he'll never be the pure scorer (Dirk shoots like a machine), but he is a much better defender already. He could be a Dirk/Duncan combination if he works on his post moves a bit more and keeps working on his handle.

Comment

Glad to see Bargs doing well but let's hold on a minute. Hakeem could do everything Bargs could do (except shoot from as much distance) but better. Plus he cleaned the glass pretty much every game and could post defenders out of their shorts. And he did that for about 15 years straight.

Bargs can be a hugely successful NBA player and never come close to being as good as Hakeem. So let's just keep a little perspective here.

Comment

Considering how much Andreas' game has develope since Triano took over the team 19 games into last season. Can you imagine the type of player he would be now if Triano was the head coach since Andreas' rookie year?
                        Last edited by Raúl; Mon Jan 18, 2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Big silent wrote: View Post
                          Bargs could be more than Dirk - he'll never be the pure scorer (Dirk shoots like a machine), but he is a much better defender already. He could be a Dirk/Duncan combination if he works on his post moves a bit more and keeps working on his handle.
                          I've never seen Bargnani use off window shot.

I think we might be setting the bar a little too high.

Comment

Isn't Kevin Garnett a 7-footer (I know that he would say he is 6'11" but he it is always said that he's actually 7 feet tall). He was really the first 7 footer that played facing up with a very good jumper and quick first step. In his prime he was as agile as a 6'5" player and quicker than Bargs or Dirk now.

I think if there is someone to aspire to be more like, KG would be the player I would love to see Bargs blossom into. Great scorer, rebounder, defender, passer, and all in the body of a 7-footer. Yes, Dirk is a scorer, and a great shooter (better than KG ever was), but he can't play D, isn't overly quick or fast and just isn't the same type of player as Garnett even though they are both 7 foot scorers. KG could put the ball on the floor and blow by any center or forward and many guards.

Still, it's fantastic to hear that Dirk is respecting Bargs' game and giving him high praise.

Comment

JibbaJabba34 wrote: View Post
                              Isn't Kevin Garnett a 7-footer (I know that he would say he is 6'11" but he it is always said that he's actually 7 feet tall). He was really the first 7 footer that played facing up with a very good jumper and quick first step. In his prime he was as agile as a 6'5" player and quicker than Bargs or Dirk now.
                              Well, if that's the case Garnett would be the first man I've ever heard of who liked to say he was shorter than he really was...

I thought Bosh and Garnett were the same height. Bosh is a more prolific scorer than Garnett ever was. Either way, when the game's on the line the ball is never in KG's hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X