No announcement yet.

Nowitzki Regarding Andrea: “He’s way more athletic than I ever was”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That blow-by and dunk on Nowitzki is fast becoming a signature move by 'Il Mago'.
    after he first owned Duncan with that move a couple of weeks ago.

I have a good feeling about the Cleveland game as Shaq can't guard Bosh or Bargs.

Comment

Shaq also can't back guys down in a dominate way like he used to so I'm hopeful that Bargnani won't get into foul trouble while guarding the big guy.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Well, if that's the case Garnett would be the first man I've ever heard of who liked to say he was shorter than he really was...

I thought Bosh and Garnett were the same height. Bosh is a more prolific scorer than Garnett ever was. Either way, when the game's on the line the ball is never in KG's hands.
        I remember a Bill Simmons article years ago that talked about KG really being 7'0" but he never wanted to be called a "seven footer" because that made him sound like a slow big man. Here's a link to an article about KG getting miffed about being called a 7-footer:

http://neswsports.com/2008/09/10/do-...g-sager-video/

I agree that Bosh and KG are more comparable players, but I would still put KG and Bargs in the same category as they are both within an inch of each other and both naturally play at the power forward position (Bargs is not really a center, he's playing there because CB is playing the PF and it creates better mis-matches on offense to have them both playing together). My point was to make another comparison of a 7 foot player that can face up and put the ball on the floor and KG immediately came to mind.

Also, KG had a phenomenal season in 2003-04 (again, he is at the end of his career now, Bosh is in his prime now) averaging 24.2 ppg and 13.9 rpg (both higher than CB has ever posted) and was THE guy to get the ball to at the end of the game. Of course now that he's in Boston, there are many other options and he's sacrificed his own numbers for the sake of the team and winning games.

Either way, KG will be a hall of famer and both Andrea and CB4 would be happy to be compared to him as a player. That's all I was trying to point out.

Comment

Well, if that's the case Garnett would be the first man I've ever heard of who liked to say he was shorter than he really was...

I thought Bosh and Garnett were the same height. Bosh is a more prolific scorer than Garnett ever was. Either way, when the game's on the line the ball is never in KG's hands.
          Uh...you really underrate prime KG.

Bosh is a better scoring PF/C than KG, but there is no comparison in passing and defense. Nobody looks at the Raptors and says, "Shit, I'm going to have CB guarding me?"

I'm not saying Bosh is a bad defender. In fact, during the Olympics he showed he can be a very good defender. But before we compare him to prime KG, he needs to bring this defensive aspect to every game, make people piss in their pants if he is guarding them.

If he does that and improves his passing, then we can put him in the same grouping as KG and Duncan, with other historically great PFs.

Don't get me wrong, I love CB. But there is plenty of room for improvement.

Comment

JibbaJabba34 wrote: View Post
            I agree that Bosh and KG are more comparable players, but I would still put KG and Bargs in the same category as they are both within an inch of each other and both naturally play at the power forward position (Bargs is not really a center, he's playing there because CB is playing the PF and it creates better mis-matches on offense to have them both playing together). My point was to make another comparison of a 7 foot player that can face up and put the ball on the floor and KG immediately came to mind.
            Why can't Bargnani be considered a center? He's as big or bigger than most. He has no trouble standing his ground in the paint since he put on more muscle. He doesn't play the post on offense but I don't see why that deems him as not being a center. Some centers in the league can't play face up or post. Maybe we should not give them a position at all?

Also, KG had a phenomenal season in 2003-04 (again, he is at the end of his career now, Bosh is in his prime now) averaging 24.2 ppg and 13.9 rpg (both higher than CB has ever posted) and was THE guy to get the ball to at the end of the game. Of course now that he's in Boston, there are many other options and he's sacrificed his own numbers for the sake of the team and winning games.

Either way, KG will be a hall of famer and both Andrea and CB4 would be happy to be compared to him as a player. That's all I was trying to point out.
            When I said Bosh is a more prolific scorer than KG I was referring to the range of weapons in each man's arsenal. Bosh can score every way imaginable. KG was/is more limited with what he can do with the ball. What he does he does well but more limited in variety, he is. The rebounds bit has nothing to do with offense unless you're talking about offensive rebounds in which case Bosh is averaging the same amount as KG did in '03-'04. KG took three more shots per game in '03-'04 than Bosh has this year and averages for his career two more than Bosh. If you want a clear cut sign of which player really give defenses more fits then look no further than FT shots. Bosh gets to the line a lot more per season than KG. Defenses have a tough time containing Bosh. Its why Bosh is given the ball late in games and KG's doesn't usually see the ball in the clutch...

Ripp wrote: View Post
            Uh...you really underrate prime KG.

Bosh is a better scoring PF/C than KG, but there is no comparison in passing and defense. Nobody looks at the Raptors and says, "Shit, I'm going to have CB guarding me?"
            That would be an excellent point if we were talking about anything other than scoring.
            Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jan 18, 2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Apollo: Good points. I wasn't trying to take over this thread and make it a Bosh vs Garnett topic, because it's not. I do still think that KG in his prime was better than CB4 now (his prime). I like Bosh more than I do KG, but over his career, KG has been the better player, even on offense (my opinion). I feel that CB will become a better player than KG, but he's not there yet.

Bargs is not a true center. I know what you are saying, but think about it, if we had a back to the basket legitimate center (i.e. Perkins, Bynum, Kaman), do you think Andrea would be best used as a center or a power forward? Because half of his shots are taken from outside the key, he isn't in rebounding position and loses out on a lot of boards. He is the same size or bigger than many centers, but his shooting ability, quickness and tendency to face up put him more as a typical power forward. I agree that he should be classed more of a "post player" instead of PF or C because he is a "tweener" when it comes to his position. If Bosh leaves, I think that they would move Andrea to the PF position and go after a banger of a center.

Right now, the killer B's are causing matchup nightmares for the opposition and as long as Bags is defending centers well and getting rebounds, it will work for us. We are a much quicker team with Andrea as a center, even if it isn't his natural position (same as Dirk, he'd never play center).

Comment

Apollo: Good points. I wasn't trying to take over this thread and make it a Bosh vs Garnett topic, because it's not. I do still think that KG in his prime was better than CB4 now (his prime). I like Bosh more than I do KG, but over his career, KG has been the better player, even on offense (my opinion). I feel that CB will become a better player than KG, but he's not there yet.
                Never did I imply the Bosh is better than Garnett. I said Bosh is a more prolific scorer. That's only one part of the game.

Bargs is not a true center. I know what you are saying, but think about it, if we had a back to the basket legitimate center (i.e. Perkins, Bynum, Kaman), do you think Andrea would be best used as a center or a power forward? Because half of his shots are taken from outside the key, he isn't in rebounding position and loses out on a lot of boards. He is the same size or bigger than many centers, but his shooting ability, quickness and tendency to face up put him more as a typical power forward. I agree that he should be classed more of a "post player" instead of PF or C because he is a "tweener" when it comes to his position. If Bosh leaves, I think that they would move Andrea to the PF position and go after a banger of a center.
                Bargnani defends and grabs defensive boards. He's pulled away from the bucket on offense intentionally. They do it to create space in the paint. The team sacrifices offensive rebounding for scoring. It seems to work fine given the fact that they're a top five offensive team. You move him in the paint and suddenly the offense completely changes. They have him outside because it makes them more effective. He's still slotted in the middle. He guards the other team's center. Jay Triano calls him a center and slots him there in the depth chart. If Jay calls him a center then he's a center. What we personally feel a center should be should not come into play. Bargnani does not fit the classic mold but the game is changing. Is Channing Frye a center? I say yes because the Suns say yes.

Comment

Never did I imply the Bosh is better than Garnett. I said Bosh is a more prolific scorer. That's only one part of the game.

Bargnani defends and grabs defensive boards. He's pulled away from the bucket on offense intentionally. They do it to create space in the paint. The team sacrifices offensive rebounding for scoring. It seems to work fine given the fact that they're a top five offensive team. You move him in the paint and suddenly the offense completely changes. They have him outside because it makes them more effective. He's still slotted in the middle. He guards the other team's center. Jay Triano calls him a center and slots him there in the depth chart. If Jay calls him a center then he's a center. What we personally feel a center should be should not come into play. Bargnani does not fit the classic mold but the game is changing. Is Channing Frye a center? I say yes because the Suns say yes.
                  Touche. I guess it's fair to say that Bargnani can play either position and is good at both. He's a good fit with Bosh as they are both so versatile and can spread the floor for one another to work inside or outside.

Just to go back to the thread's initial topic, I think that Bargnani outplayed Dirk yesterday and that it's great that the player that he's been modelling his game after had such high praise for him after the game. With time will come more consistent play from Bargs and hopefully he turns into the player that all of us have been waiting for him to turn into.

Comment

I'm waiting for the day Bargs gets enough Euro votes to be the starting C in the ASG before Bosh gets enough fan votes to be a starter.
                    RR OG

Comment

Working...
                    X