Calderon VS Bayless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Calderon played great while Jerryd didn't play.

The problem in the debate of Jose vs Jerryd is neither appear to be the answer long term - Jose due to age, Jerryd due to inability to lead/command a team.
    "Jose due to age"
    I guess much depends on what one sees as an answer or what deems long term. Nobody thought of Nash as a big star 8 years ago, but he has certainly served the Suns well in his 30s. Dallas won a championship with 37 year old Kidd being an integral part of the team. Stockton did rather well deep into his 30s. Payton wasn't too shabby well into his 30s. Age itself is no reason why Jose couldn't be a big part of the team for 5-7 years.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
      "Jose due to age"
      I guess much depends on what one sees as an answer or what deems long term. Nobody thought of Nash as a big star 8 years ago, but he has certainly served the Suns well in his 30s. Dallas won a championship with 37 year old Kidd being an integral part of the team. Stockton did rather well deep into his 30s. Payton wasn't too shabby well into his 30s. Age itself is no reason why Jose couldn't be a big part of the team for 5-7 years.
      You are right on the age and the examples of players. However they are the exception to the rule. We could also give examples of 2nd round picks who are stars but the majority are lucky to make a roster, let alone become a star.

What is the number one difference between all of those players mentioned and Calderon: they were not running around on gimpy groins and hamstrings. Calderon was never able to handle the rigours of an NBA season in his 20's. What makes one think he will be able in his 30's?

Comment

Jose plays smart basketball and doesn't rely on jaw-dropping athleticism to make his game work. I agree with pooka that Jose could contribute well into his 30s if his body holds up. (Our new S&C coach could make a big difference for him). After this contract plays out I'd like to be able to keep him as a #2 PG with a #2 PG salary if he is interested.

Comment

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
          Jose plays smart basketball and doesn't rely on jaw-dropping athleticism to make his game work. I agree with pooka that Jose could contribute well into his 30s if his body holds up. (Our new S&C coach could make a big difference for him). After this contract plays out I'd like to be able to keep him as a #2 PG with a #2 PG salary if he is interested.
          McKechnie has certainly been known to work wonders. Hopefully he can do it for Jose as well. It doesn't matter if Jose is athletic or not if his groin and hammy's are shot. He is also showing no signs of slowing down from the international competition either which is something a lot of players did do in to their 30's.

As for the bolded section, that would be awesome. Jose as a backup on a reasonable contract has never been an issue or concern. Jose as the starter on a star contract has been.

Comment

Hey can an amnestied player re-sign with his old team or are they barred?

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
              Hey can an amnestied player re-sign with his old team or are they barred?
              They cannot resign for a year or July 1st - whichever comes first - from what I understand.

Players can only be amnestied during a set time period at the start of the offseason. It will be interesting to see the time frame given next year. Will it be a couple of weeks? Or will teams be able to go right up to pre-season? Obviously this year was a clusterf*ck.

Comment

They cannot resign for a year or July 1st - whichever comes first - from what I understand.

Players can only be amnestied during a set time period at the start of the offseason. It will be interesting to see the time frame given next year. Will it be a couple of weeks? Or will teams be able to go right up to pre-season? Obviously this year was a clusterf*ck.
                I was just wondering in the Calderon situation if we could amnesty and resign for a lesser amount and 3yrs or something at the end of the year. I have not looked into the new CBA to see if they can just renegotiate/restructure his contract. Sorry just time crunched with a 3month old.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                  I was just wondering in the Calderon situation if we could amnesty and resign for a lesser amount and 3yrs or something at the end of the year. I have not looked into the new CBA to see if they can just renegotiate/restructure his contract. Sorry just time crunched with a 3month old.
                  Ha, no worries. I know what that is about. I've got an 18 month old with a second due in a few months.

The Calderon situation would be great but it can't happen. I don't think he would get through the waiver wire without a team picking him up anyways. $4M for him as your back up would be a really, really, really good deal.

Comment

....a second due in a few months.

The Calderon situation would be great but it can't happen. I don't think he would get through the waiver wire without a team picking him up anyways. $4M for him as your back up would be a really, really, really good deal.
                    Congrats on number 2 man.

Agree on Caldy.

Comment

McKechnie has certainly been known to work wonders. Hopefully he can do it for Jose as well. It doesn't matter if Jose is athletic or not if his groin and hammy's are shot. He is also showing no signs of slowing down from the international competition either which is something a lot of players did do in to their 30's.

As for the bolded section, that would be awesome. Jose as a backup on a reasonable contract has never been an issue or concern. Jose as the starter on a star contract has been.
                      I think Jose as a backup moving forward is a very likely scenario. I think he only has one more year on his contract after this year and I'd guess he'd sign for less for a few years of staying with the Raps. Unless the Raps are able to get a star PG via FA, which I doubt, they'll more than likely get a young guy via the draft or trade (as they tried with Bayless) and could sure use a dedicated to the team Jose as both mentor and backup when the kid gets up to speed.

Comment

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
                        bleacher report article listed their top trade options for the Raptors and although most of them were retarded Jerryd Bayless for DJ Augustin piqued my interest. Charlotte wants to hand the team to Kemba Walker and Bayless isn't doing much for anyone in Raptorland. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but before the deadline. Augustin is at least a "real PG" that can distribute, score a bit and defend.

GP GS MIN FG% 3P% FT% OREB REB AST STL BLK TO Foul PTS
                        4 4 30.5 36.7% 28.6% 88.2% 1.0 3.0 6.3 0.0 0.0 2.8 1.3 14.3
                        Although he's a "real PG", I don't know if Augustine is our answer. I would much rather address the PG situation via trade/FA/draft this summer than obtain Augustine, waste 2 years trying to justify the trade, and then start the PG search all over again in 2013.

Also, if there's one lesson to be learned, it's to NEVER read the drivel that's published on Bleacher Report. There are better, more insightful pieces in "What I Did During the Summer" grade school projects than anything you'd read on Bleacher Report.

Comment

DJ Augustine? Really? First, of all he's doing well for Charlotte and Kemba is still more of a shooting guard than a full-time point guard who can supplant DJ. Bayless and DJ were in the same draft class, and Bayless was drafted well before him and rated much more highly than DJ.

Why is DJ considered good? Because, he was forced into the starting point guard role, where besides being the better defender he was a far more inferior point guard than Raymond Felton who he was replacing.

When you are behind Andre Miller, Chris Paul, Jose Calderon you aren't going to get the same chance as DJ to improve yourself.
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                          X