No announcement yet.

Popovich: Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha; I wonder if by "some people" he means Duncan ...

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      Haha; I wonder if by "some people" he means Duncan ...
      No, I'm pretty sure he mean NoProps

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        No, I'm pretty sure he mean NoProps
        Hehe, performing a bow to NoProps...

Comment

Have I ever said how much I love Popovich?

Another reason, via HoopsHype.coM:
          Royce Young: Gregg Popovich said the Hack-A-Splitter was a "good move." Twitter
          Royce Young: Pop then added sarcastically about it: "I've never done that before. It was a really lousy thing to do. It was unsportsmanlike." Twitter

.... says the father of Hack-A-Shaq - lol.

Comment

^^^
            Yeah I saw that post game interview. Classic Popovich.

How 'bout his "I want some Nasty" timeout during game 1 that inspired the Spurs BIG comeback!

Comment

Best coach in the league, hands down. Love Pops. I hope they win it all this year.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The "I want some nasty" timeout should go down in history as the best coaching ever.

Comment

they are trying to play some exciting bball too.

the second game against OKC was the best spurs game I have seen in a few years.

Comment

reporter: what do you do about Sefolosha?
                    Pops: Ask Scottie not to play him?

i laughed and laughed
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Rare Sighting

Classic Popovich doing harlem shake after he beat the Knicks. Kinda shitty video because its rare sighting of epic dancing.
                      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Pop not only witty and dry but classy as well:

Via HoopsHype.coM:
                        Gregg Popovich on OKC's run: "As sad and disappointed as we are, you really have to think about it's almost like a Hollywood script for OKC in a sense. They went through Dallas, last year's champion, then they went through the Lakers, then they went through us. Those three teams represent 10 of the last 13 championships ... I don't know if anybody has ever had a run or gone through a playoff playing those kinds of teams. It's just incredible and I think it's pretty cool for them."

Comment

lol not sure if you've already seen this but I'm sure you'll enjoy this video Matt

Comment

"Next guy who misses a free throw is going to buy me a new car."

Thank you, Blacklash2k4!

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/93...-espn-magazine

Interesting read.

And through it all, as Pop's international strategy has become the strategy in the NBA -- seven GMs and five head coaches this past season grew from the Spurs' tree -- it's always been framed in Moneyball terms: Go somewhere other teams aren't, find talent nobody else finds. But to spend time inside the Spurs organization today is to uncover another interpretation of the Spurs dynasty: that as America's youth basketball pipeline has produced a type of player that Pop has no interest in coaching, he has found an advantage not only in targeting international players but in avoiding domestic ones.
                              And so it's no surprise that Pop would rather teach unentitled foreign players to be selfless than try to teach entitled domestic players to suppress their egos. The international kids, he says, "have less. They appreciate things more. And they're very coachable." Of course, it's much easier when his best player, Duncan, who was raised in the Virgin Islands and learned the game by playing point guard in pickup games on a rugged outdoor court, is best known for putting team first; when Parker, raised in France, is okay trading stats for wins; when Ginobili, raised in Argentina, is fine coming off the bench. And the Spurs have whiffed on imports (Luis Scola) and scored with Americans (Kawhi Leonard).
                              Most of the foreign players not only have more experience playing basketball but more experience playing an unselfish style, with lots of passing and motion and screens, as messy as it is pure. As Spurs director of basketball operations Sean Marks, a New Zealander who played for San Antonio for two seasons, puts it, "The ball doesn't stick." For better or worse, the ball often sticks in America. A few months ago, Pop was scouting an opponent. He won't say which one. On video, Pop saw an international player wide open for a shot, with a confused look on his face. That's because his point guard, an American, was dribbling in circles. "It has to be a really different experience for him," Pop says, laughing. " 'Where am I? Is this is a different game? Is it a different sport?' "
                              How I long to see the Raptors play like the bold.

Comment

I had no clue Sean Marks is now their director of basketball operations. Cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X