Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popovich: Classic

Rubio's adjustment

Asked about Rubio, and specifically how difficult it would be for him to adjust to American culture, Popovich's response was classic:

"These guys, they travel around the world," Popovich said of international players such as Rubio and Ginobili. "They're more cultured than we are. Everyone acts like Americans are the ones ... we have sort of an arrogance about us. Like we're the cultured ones? Are you serious?

''Have you watched TV lately? Have you seen what Americans do? How many languages do you speak? And you wonder how they're going to adjust to our culture? I hope they avoid it and keep their own!"
    Source

I hope Popovich never retires.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Source

I hope Popovich never retires.
    I saw that too and laughed my ass off! Damn skippy on this quote.

Comment

he's right tho. Adjust to the American culture my ass

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        he's right tho. Adjust to the American culture my ass
        So, we can quit the 'swag' stuff? Because I'm guessing that's considered part of the narrative behind "have you watched TV lately?"

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          So, we can quit the 'swag' stuff? Because I'm guessing that's considered part of the narrative behind "have you watched TV lately?"
          who said swag is a part of American culture? everyone uses that word, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean you have to put down people who use it.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            who said swag is a part of American culture? everyone uses that word, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean you have to put down people who use it.
            It's a typical example of American culture, which lots of people copy, creating the 'everyone' who uses it. And in this thread I think I should certainly be allowed to comment on it.

'Swag' to me is like MTV Cribs or Jersey Shore: it's about dumb mindnumbing superficial bs, bragging, strutting your stuff like a caveman. If people talk about things or shows like that I'll usually be quiet; if they ask me I tell em what I think about it. And if they are calling for our team to be more like that I sometimes say what I think as well, because I wouldn't enjoy watching an overly self-indulgent attitude. In fact, I would really hate that. If that's putting people down ... it's not even close to what Popovich did.

Comment

It's a typical example of American culture, which lots of people copy, creating the 'everyone' who uses it. And in this thread I think I should certainly be allowed to comment on it.

'Swag' to me is like MTV Cribs or Jersey Shore: it's about dumb mindnumbing superficial bs, bragging, strutting your stuff like a caveman. If people talk about things or shows like that I'll usually be quiet; if they ask me I tell em what I think about it. And if they are calling for our team to be more like that I sometimes say what I think as well, because I wouldn't enjoy watching an overly self-indulgent attitude. In fact, I would really hate that. If that's putting people down ... it's not even close to what Popovich did.
              Agree.

Comment

"These guys, they travel around the world," Popovich said of international players such as Rubio and Ginobili. "They're more cultured than we are. Everyone acts like Americans are the ones ... we have sort of an arrogance about us. Like we're the cultured ones? Are you serious?

''Have you watched TV lately? Have you seen what Americans do? How many languages do you speak? And you wonder how they're going to adjust to our culture? I hope they avoid it and keep their own!"
                +1

That is fucking clasic. Awesome, just awesome. Popovich is simply saying what a lot of people around the world think. Can't say that my opinion differs from his on this subject. Is there a video clip of this anywhere?

Comment

Not being anti-American but he's right. The shit they have on TV lately makes me queasy.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

your just mad cause you have none

Comment

the kids love to dopplegange the yanks and pretend like they're original... or what they're doing is the status quo.... it's the way it's always been.. eventually they grow up and realize they were embarassments to everyone around them and are able to laugh at themselves... or they dont and they grow into those waste of human life wannabe rappers that try to sell you their CDs with labels written with sharpies out of their backpack on the side of queen st w..

Comment

The best thing many Americans can do is get out of their backyard and travel a bit...and I mean real travel....not getting shipped on a C130 to fight another war that's not needed somewhere. I have admired Popovich for a while and I view his capability on the basketball court as merely icing on what he is as an individual. He is a leader. Improves most who come in contact with him.

Comment

Outstanding quote by Pop.

Comment

Love Pops
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Pop on the shortened season

Because lockout ball affects everyone, most players and coaches are dismissing it as the cost of doing business in the aftermath of the labor negotiations. They realize the schedule is an equal opportunity offender, so they aren't wasting their breath cursing it -- mainly because they need their breath for the game. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wisecracked when asked how he's managing to put up with this kind of season.

"Are you married? How does your wife put up with you? She has to. She has no choice for now. It's the same thing here. You've got no choice. Quit your crying and just deal with it. Just deal with it and shut up. That's the best way," he said.

Source: NBA.com

Comment

Working...
                              X