The Raptors will not have a top 5 pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raptors will not have a top 5 pick

Even if the three players who have fueled the last two wins cool down and the Raptors suffer setbacks, they will not likely have one of the 5 worst records in the league. There are too many other bad teams out there.

Washington: By now the consensus pick for 30th. They have no frontcourt, and John Wall (who is still not playing that well) is their best player. They have no wins, and their losses are on AVERAGE by 13 points.

New Jersey: Kris Humphries is their third best player. Their second best player has a broken foot. They lost to Atlanta by 36. Their only win is over Washington.

Charlotte: They are playing Boris Diaw at centre. Diaw is 6'8". Miami beat them by 39 points. They are being outscored by 11 points per game.

Sacramento: They are stuck in the strong western conference, and John Salmons might be their best player. Tyreke Evans is playing terribly, and his backup is Jimmer Fredette. Their average game is a double-digit loss.

Cleveland: They are 0-2 against the Raptors. Their three wins are against Charlotte, New Jersey, and Detroit. Anderson Varejao is their best player.

Detroit: Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey are their best players. Their offense is the 26th best in the league. They are being outscored by 6 points a game, and lost to Cleveland by 16 points.

And that's only the teams that look definitely weaker than the Raptors. Golden State, Phoenix (imagine if they trade Nash!), New Orleans, Minnesota and Milwaukee all have a chance of being worse as well, if their lineups don't gel or they suffer a key injury.

It looks to me as if the Raptors will have the 21-25 worst record even if their play regresses from the last few games.
    Last edited by malefax; Thu Jan 5, 2012, 02:11 PM. Reason: more washington stuff

Raptors will get 10th-13th overall pick I predict. Not too shabby.

If they go to the playoffs then Dwane wins COY, if they don't its still a win-win.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
      Even if the three players who have fueled the last two wins cool down and the Raptors suffer setbacks, they will not likely have one of the 5 worst records in the league. There are too many other bad teams out there. They have no wins, and their losses are on AVERAGE by 13 points.

Washington: By now the consensus pick for 30th. They have no frontcourt, and John Wall (who is still not playing that well) is their best player.

New Jersey: Kris Humphries is their third best player. Their second best player has a broken foot. They lost to Atlanta by 36. Their only win is over Washington.

Charlotte: They are playing Boris Diaw at centre. Diaw is 6'8". Miami beat them by 39 points. They are being outscored by 11 points per game.

Sacramento: They are stuck in the strong western conference, and John Salmons might be their best player. Tyreke Evans is playing terribly, and his backup is Jimmer Fredette. Their average game is a double-digit loss.

Cleveland: They are 0-2 against the Raptors. Their three wins are against Charlotte, New Jersey, and Detroit. Anderson Varejao is their best player.

Detroit: Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey are their best players. Their offense is the 26th best in the league. They are being ouscored by 6 points a game, and lost to Cleveland by 16 points.

And that's only the teams that look definitely weaker than the Raptors. Golden State, Phoenix (imagine if they trade Nash!), New Orleans, Minnesota and Milwaukee all have a chance of being worse as well, if their lineups don't gel or they suffer a key injury.

It looks to me as if the Raptors will have the 21-25 worst record even if their play regresses from the last few games.
      It is amazing how bad some teams are right now.

Of those teams listed, I would look for Detroit and Cleveland to look much better by the end of the season. Both teams have decent parts and really good coaches.

Comment

New Jersey should turn it around a bit....but I still think we can get a great player that fits the team anywhere from 6-12
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I think Detroit could potentially be not awful. Of the 6 teams, they would suprise me the least if they finished with a better record than Toronto. Cleveland to me looks young and lacks scoring outside of Kyrie Irving and Jamison: I don't expect them to have many wins at the end of the season.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            New Jersey should turn it around a bit....but I still think we can get a great player that fits the team anywhere from 6-12
            I would agree. If the Nets land Howard, things could change pretty quick.

Comment

Of course, then the Magic would be a threat for the bottom 5 spot...

Comment

Even if the Raptors do finish in the 7-10th from the bottom position, there are 3 factors to consider:

1. ping-pong balls could move us into the top 3 (or down up to 3 spots... yikes)

2. would be interesting analysis to figure out which of the teams above us in the likely draft position rankings are likely to target a SF, rather than all the PF/C/SG ranked highly (aka how many teams are true risks to take one of the stud SF we want)

3. there's always a possibility to flip picks to move up just a couple spots, still allowing both teams to draft the player they really want (ie: trade Barbosa/Bayless for late 1st/early 2nd round pick at the deadline, which could be used to facilitate the swapping of picks to get our stud SF)

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                  Raptors will get 10th-13th overall pick I predict. Not too shabby.

If they go to the playoffs then Dwane wins COY, if they don't its still a win-win.
                  I agree, out of the 10 bottom teams in the NBA the Raptors are the best well coached team thus far.

Getting 10-13 pick while winning is still not bad position. We have JV coming in next year and also there are still interesting players in the 10-13 position due to 2012 being a deep draft. Players such as Michael Gilchrist and Toronto native Kobongo will still be available if they choose to declare.

Comment

Even if the three players who have fueled the last two wins cool down and the Raptors suffer setbacks, they will not likely have one of the 5 worst records in the league. There are too many other bad teams out there.

Washington: By now the consensus pick for 30th. They have no frontcourt, and John Wall (who is still not playing that well) is their best player. They have no wins, and their losses are on AVERAGE by 13 points.

Detroit: Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey are their best players. Their offense is the 26th best in the league. They are being outscored by 6 points a game, and lost to Cleveland by 16 points.

I don't agree. The Raptors have played the Cavs twice. The Cavs are the worst team in the league, or one of them. You take away those two wins and you see a team who has only won one other game and they were playing a team who was without one of their star players and who was caught sleeping. The Raptors are not a good team right now, they just have some exciting young players. Unless 33% of their schedule continues to be against the Cavs then you won't see them anywhere outside the worst five teams when it's all said and done. I think people are overacting here. In here half the team will be tossed under the bus by March. Book it.

One more thing on the Cavs. They've had the easiest schedule in the league so far. They've arguable played only teams who all have a shot at being in one of the five worst teams in the league. By the end of January they'll be nowhere near .500.

Sactown has just as much young talent as the Raptors. They're no worse than the Raptors.

Detroit, who knows but I think they're no worse than the Raptors.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I don't agree. The Raptors have played the Cavs twice. The Cavs are the worst team in the league, hands down. You take away those two wins and you see a team who has only won one other game and they were playing a team who was without one of their star players and who was caught sleeping. The Raptors are not a good team right now, they just have some exciting young players. Unless 33% of their schedule continues to be against the Cavs then you won't see them anywhere outside the worst five teams when it's all said and done. I think people are overacting here. In here half the team will be tossed under the bus by March. Book it.

Sactown has just as much young talent as the Raptors. They're no worse than the Raptors.

Detroit, who knows but I think they're no worse than the Raptors.
                      We didn't just beat the Cavs ... we totally spanked them. The fact that we took huge leads over Orlando and Dallas, before allowing big runs (growing pains), says to me that we are on the right track, and a step above the bottom rung where there are 7-8 teams that are just horrible. imo, we're into the middle of the pack (lower middle class!)
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Also, I think our draft pick will be in the range of 12-16 ... few spots out of the playoffs, or just sneak in if other teams like Milwaukee and New Jersey pull themselves out of the race.
                        That really means we just have to outlast the 76ers, Knicks, or Indiana down the stretch ... longshot, but not impossible.

12-16 range picks could produce a rotation player like Terrence Jones, Kabongo, Kidd-Glichrist (my favourite).
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Of course, then the Magic would be a threat for the bottom 5 spot...
                          depends on how they are doing at the deadline. if they are in the playoffs then howard gets flipped, they stand a chance especially if they get lopez and a point guard in the deal.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                            Also, I think our draft pick will be in the range of 12-16 ... few spots out of the playoffs, or just sneak in if other teams like Milwaukee and New Jersey pull themselves out of the race.
                            That really means we just have to outlast the 76ers, Knicks, or Indiana down the stretch ... longshot, but not impossible.

12-16 range picks could produce a rotation player like Terrence Jones, Kabongo, Kidd-Glichrist (my favourite).
                            MK-G is my fave as well, but no way he lasts outside the top-10...hell, by draft time he may be top-5.
                            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                              We didn't just beat the Cavs ... we totally spanked them. The fact that we took huge leads over Orlando and Dallas, before allowing big runs (growing pains), says to me that we are on the right track, and a step above the bottom rung where there are 7-8 teams that are just horrible. imo, we're into the middle of the pack (lower middle class!)
                              You're basing this on game where they're playing far better teams who made significant offseason moves, but didn't get a decent camp or preseason to get up and running. I'm not surprised they caught Dallas or Orlando off guard. The fact that they couldn't hold those big leads says it all.

The Raptors on the other hand are pretty much the same team as last season, so there's chemistry, and a lot of the guys were working out and playing together over the summer. Then they have a new head coach who's came in and changed little so far given time constraints. The Raptors are a team who won a couple games over a horrible team, caught a couple more teams off guard but couldn't hold the lead and then caught another team, who was limping, on an off night. My money is on them stinking this season. Anyone who thinks otherwise, in my opinion, is in for a big disappointment. Opponents are going to be at 100% soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X