Calderon or Jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon or Jack?

With Calderon back to his former borderline all-star self, the question remains, do we trade him for a decent SG to fill a gaping hole at that position?

Another option is to trade Jack and keep Calderon. I'm afraid that as good as Jack has been this past few months, he is not good enough to take us past the first round this year. On the other hand, if you keep Calderon and Banks, you can have a nice offence/defense sub pattern at that position.

So who would you trade?
    Last edited by dagon420; Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:21 PM.

no one. There's not better thing in basketball than have depth and chemistry, those guys were having bad times at the start of the season and the came together and started to win games and playing better basketball, that simple thing makes all players feel good about themselves and their teammates, with a trade you bring a player/s who doesn't know the coach, the teammates and the systems and could take time to adapt.

Sure, we might need a couple of more pieces to take de next step but i don't think it's the moment, let this group together and wait for the results (look at Atlanta, the starting five and Pachulia have been playing together for 3 years now). Maybe add a piece or two without trading anyone of the core (Amir, Bargs, Bosh, Belinelli, Calderon, Jack, DD, Turk, Rasho, maybe Weems)

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
      With Calderon back to his former borderline all-star self, the question remains, do we trade him for a decent SG to fill a gaping hole at that position?

Another option is to trade Jack and keep Calderon. I'm afraid that as good as Jack has been this past few months, he is not good enough to take us past the first round this year. On the other hand, if you keep Calderon and Banks, you can have a nice offence/defense sub pattern at that position.

So who would you trade?
      I think you trade him for a good SG. I consider a decent SG a Marquis Daniels or a Anthony Parker. He's worth a lot more than that. The fact that he's coming back strong makes it an even better idea to make the move now because they can get more. Hedo and Jose don't mix well and so the need to move one will still be present moving forward.

Comment

Either trade Calderon (still lacks the ability to play defense and has a huge contract) or ride it out for the season. The team is playing well together right now and as Raúl says, adding another player to the core would mess up the chemistry of the team right now. We do need a solid 2 guard, since Antoine Wright and Belinelli haven't panned out to what we expected and DeMar is still growing into the NBA. Weems has been the biggest surprise out of all 4 of our 2 guards. DeMar will be a great player soon, but just not this season or next.

The longer that Jose plays, the harder it will be for Hedo to play his game, as Apollo says, their games don't mix well, but JJ and Hedo work much better with each other.

Don't forget that we had Jose starting and Banks as a backup last year. Just because Banks played well for the stretch that Jose was out, still doesn't make him a legitimate backup PG in my mind. He's a 3rd string PG much like Derrick Martin was. Stick him in during the right matchups or at the end of a blowout. He's a solid defender, but he can't run the team like JJ or JC can.

Comment

I agree with Raul. We need to develop cohesiveness and chemistry, and the only way to do so is to keep a core roster intact for several consecutive season - not a half-season. And IMO, this is just as important for our chances to retain Bosh since he knows winning in the NBA is a result of cohesiveness and chemistry.

I also feel that as good as DD has looked in 41 career NBA games, he's going to look 1000x better after he plays 286 career NBA games (i.e. 3 full-seasons). If we trade DD now, we'll absolutely regret it once his rookie contract expires.
          RR OG

Comment

I have to say keep it how it is. I am a big fan and I would love for Jose to start but if we are winning games with him coming off the bench I'd rather want that
            Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Call me crazy, but I stand by my earlier thread that I just do not see any trades coming soon. Not unless BC gets an offer to knock his socks off. Maybe minor trades, tweaks, but nothing more.

I think BC likes his core, and if Bosh re-signs we are looking at a situation where players have had time to jell and (hopefully) are only getting better. Just because the same core is a first round exit team one year does not guarantee they will be the same with a year of familiarity and growth under their belt. Look at Atlanta. Their only major signing was getting Crawford - potential 6th man of the year. This is the kind of tweak that makes a difference, but they kept the core intact to grow together.

Comment

Except that our talent level is not nearly as good as ATL. Currently, we are over the cap by 10 mil. We have no room to maneuver.

Stand pat? And wait for what? Calderon and Hedo to hit their mid 30s? Maybe by that time Demar will develop into a serviceable forward.

Comment

yo Jose .. is trying to prove everyone wrong.. you see how he has been playing since he came back from injury .. i wouldn't change anything at those 2 guard spots right now ..
                  ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

AS should have been obvious from the start. The Raptors could trade Jose for a SG.
                    BUT for the trade to improve the Raptors, they have to be getting an Iguodala or Bulter back!

A healthy Jose is a near all-star quality player!
                    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
                      Call me crazy, but I stand by my earlier thread that I just do not see any trades coming soon. Not unless BC gets an offer to knock his socks off. Maybe minor trades, tweaks, but nothing more.

I think BC likes his core, and if Bosh re-signs we are looking at a situation where players have had time to jell and (hopefully) are only getting better. Just because the same core is a first round exit team one year does not guarantee they will be the same with a year of familiarity and growth under their belt. Look at Atlanta. Their only major signing was getting Crawford - potential 6th man of the year. This is the kind of tweak that makes a difference, but they kept the core intact to grow together.
                      BC will not trade anyone of importance unless its a GREAT trade for the Raps - But with all the problems in the league - just such a trade is possible.

IMO - Most likely trade is Wright for a back-up SF. But you never know!
                      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                      X