Small Forward Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully wrote: View Post
    Not a huge fan of Q. Miller but I think you're correct in thinking that our long term answer at the SF spot is not yet on the roster.
    I think that is a guarantee.

Comment

I'm hoping for Harrison Barnes. If we keep playing like we have the last two games that shouldn't be a problem lol.

If we can't get him, I think we should trade down to a team with 2 picks and get either Quincy Miller, Gilchrist, Perry Jones, and maybe try to grab a PG.

Ideally draft Harrison Barnes and trade for another draft pick for a PG (kabongo or Marshall would be sweet) that Jose can mentor.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        I'm hoping for Harrison Barnes. If we keep playing like we have the last two games that shouldn't be a problem lol.

If we can't get him, I think we should trade down to a team with 2 picks and get either Quincy Miller, Gilchrist, Perry Jones, and maybe try to grab a PG.

Ideally draft Harrison Barnes and trade for another draft pick for a PG (kabongo or Marshall would be sweet) that Jose can mentor.
        Kabongo would be great actually - However I think the chances of the Raps drafting Jones even if he were on the board are ZERO.
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Any good non-american players coming up in the draft. When drafting with the raptors, you have the extra challenge of wondering if they will stay or go for national TV

Comment

May not have skill at the 3 spot, but there is depth. This season, I think we can let that slide. But yeah, next off season they better make it a priority to find a consistent option at that position. H Barnes would be nice, but at this point can anyone argue that he is a better looking NBA prospect than Kidd Gilchrest ???? KG is crazy

Comment

Butler looks terrible as a spot up three shooter who only occasionally makes a three, he should not be starting on any NBA team.

James Johnson has the basketball IQ of my grandmother, I cringe at least 5 times per game with him. He's athletic and energetic and confident and his defence is tight, but the guy acts like he is the number one option on the floor. So either the coaching staff have given him a green light to create his own terrible shot or the coaching staff lacks the stones to nail the kid to the bench for his shenanigans.

Kleiza has not impressed me yet and I am hoping that it was just because he was hurt and the surgery has fixed him. I wouldn't bet the farm on him being the SF to take this team to the promised land. Raps need a legit 3 one way or another.
              limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

I'd like to see JJ get more minutes simply becaues he's the only 3 on the roster who could actually turn into a useful player down the line for this team. Butler was once a sniper but can't hit the side of a barn anymore, Kleiza was never a good defender and is coming off microfracture surgery, so that won't change. He's also an amnesty candidate in the offseason for his albatross of a contract, and I highly doubt we can trade him for anything worthwhile.

Comment

An Idea

Here is an idea: Play DD at the 3 to start the game, and have Bayless playing the 2 as the 6th man (barbosa's role), then have anthony carter playing as back up PG. Have James Johnson back up demar at the 3. This way we have a more talented starting lineup ... what do you guys think?

Starting lineup would look like:

PG- Calderon
                  SG- Barbosa
                  SF- Derozan
                  PF- Bargnani
                  C- A.Johnson

Bench:

PG- Anthony Carter
                  SG- Bayless/Forbes
                  SF-James Johnson/Butler
                  PF- Davis/Kleiza
                  C- Gray/Magloire
                  "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Prophet2k wrote: View Post
                    Butler looks terrible as a spot up three shooter who only occasionally makes a three, he should not be starting on any NBA team.
                    currently shooting .240 from the field PU!
                    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                      Here is an idea: Play DD at the 3 to start the game, and have Bayless playing the 2 as the 6th man (barbosa's role), then have anthony carter playing as back up PG. Have James Johnson back up demar at the 3. This way we have a more talented starting lineup ... what do you guys think?

Starting lineup would look like:

PG- Calderon
                      SG- Barbosa
                      SF- Derozan
                      PF- Bargnani
                      C- A.Johnson

Bench:

PG- Anthony Carter
                      SG- Bayless/Forbes
                      SF-James Johnson/Butler
                      PF- Davis/Kleiza
                      C- Gray/Magloire
                      DeMar has a hard enough time guarding SG's, now you want him to guard longer and stronger SF's? He can't create any offence for himself as it is, how is he to do that vs. bigger stronger players who are just as mobile?
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

he can't, ignore that idea. the coaching staff needs to work with DeMar more to improve his dribbles and triple threat moves.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          DeMar has a hard enough time guarding SG's, now you want him to guard longer and stronger SF's? He can't create any offence for himself as it is, how is he to do that vs. bigger stronger players who are just as mobile?
                          Demar is the same size as Rasual Butler ... actually he is 1 lb heavier than him, and I'm pretty sure he is more athletic which means that he could potentially be a much better defender than Butler.

This lineup is already being used by Dwayne Casey to try and get some production from the 3 spot late in games.
                          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

What do you think about Wilson Chandler?

Here are my thoughts and what I consider a reasonable and possible way of getting him. The issue will be being finished in China prior to March 15th NBA trade deadline - regular season ends February 15, playoffs typically go until the end of March and
                            Chandler is playing on one of the better teams.

Chandler could easily be our starting 3. Coming off the bench you'd have Kleiza and JJ. To me that is a good combo as, depending on match ups, you have offense and defense possibilities along with both being able to play some at the 4 - again depending on match ups. You could sub one of JJ or Kleiza for DD and slide Chandler over to the 2 or take Chandler out and have him come in later for DD.

I like the versatility he brings with being able to defend 2, 3, and 4's and he is a lockdown defender capable of hitting the 3 and rebounding. To top it off he is just 24 years old (25 in May). He would fit in nicely with the core moving forward.

He is not a franchise player or superstar but making the big assumption that Bargnani is for real, I think we have our franchise player and he would be a nice complimentary piece.

As it stands right now, the Raptors could offer him a contract starting at $6.5M per season. With Gallinari looking for an extension this summer, Afflalo locked up over 5 years and at over $8M per season, Corey Brewer under contract, and Jordan Hamilton (well, playing in D-League right now) the Nuggets may deem that to be too rich.

Anyways, back to the original question: What do you think about Wilson Chandler?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              What do you think about Wilson Chandler?

Here are my thoughts and what I consider a reasonable and possible way of getting him. The issue will be being finished in China prior to March 15th NBA trade deadline - regular season ends February 15, playoffs typically go until the end of March and
                              Chandler is playing on one of the better teams.

Chandler could easily be our starting 3. Coming off the bench you'd have Kleiza and JJ. To me that is a good combo as, depending on match ups, you have offense and defense possibilities along with both being able to play some at the 4 - again depending on match ups. You could sub one of JJ or Kleiza for DD and slide Chandler over to the 2 or take Chandler out and have him come in later for DD.

I like the versatility he brings with being able to defend 2, 3, and 4's and he is a lockdown defender capable of hitting the 3 and rebounding. To top it off he is just 24 years old (25 in May). He would fit in nicely with the core moving forward.

He is not a franchise player or superstar but making the big assumption that Bargnani is for real, I think we have our franchise player and he would be a nice complimentary piece.

As it stands right now, the Raptors could offer him a contract starting at $6.5M per season. With Gallinari looking for an extension this summer, Afflalo locked up over 5 years and at over $8M per season, Corey Brewer under contract, and Jordan Hamilton (well, playing in D-League right now) the Nuggets may deem that to be too rich.

Anyways, back to the original question: What do you think about Wilson Chandler?
                              Oh yeah, one more thing regarding WIlson Chandler:

Say he was signed in March, come June you have another trade chip. A team like Memphis that could be looking to move Rudy Gay or a team like Portland that might want to execute a sign and trade with a rich offer to Batum (or whatever) might look favourably on a young, reasonably priced wing player like Chandler coming back in return along with whatever other assets (prospects, picks, future picks, players).

Comment

Raptors has no starting SF ... Kleiza&Johnson may be a SF backup, but Butler is a 3rd string SF. We really need a slasher/shooter SF who can create his own jumper and score in bunches. Andrea become a good scorer but I don't see him a consistent game closer.

Comment

Working...
                                X