Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK47 on the radar for this summer (post #16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he wants to only sign for the rest of the year then the Nuggets won't deal. I mean they pretty much relinquish their RFA rights to rent him for the rest of the season. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Comment

i feel that unless the plan, that i am not privy to, has changed and they really like jj. this kirlenko talk is all smoke and mirrors. i can only see him seriously being considered if the balls had already dropped and bc didnt think he was getting a sf. that said if plan changed and our pick went to boston for rondo then ak47 set loose would be awesome on the wing.

i would take rondo over anybody in the draft.

Comment

I read a Rondo for Pau Gasol rumor yesterday. I don't know if there is any truth to it but to deal Rondo for a high lottery pick would spell whole sale rebuild for the Celtics and they don't seem ready to go there.

AK47 makes a lot of sense if Colangelo feels that either Amir and/or Ed are more valuable trade assets than valuable system pieces.

One thing we need to consider about AK is that he could be used to help JV's transition to American ball. AK is very familiar with JV, they've competed against each other in Europe. JV even has a block on AK. I'm not sure how well they know each other but I do know that it would help to have a few bodies in the room to help bridge the gap to American ball. Andrea had Jorge, who was an excellent defender in his own right and a huge help to Andrea on and off the court.

Comment

Couldn't Kleiza bridge that gap instead of shelling money out for Kirilenko?

Comment

Kleiza is only half the player. That point I made was secondary to the first point. Hence the order.

They need to spend the money this summer. Depending on who they draft and who they don't like currently on the roster it could make sense to put some money down on a vet who plays lockdown defense at one of the most difficult positions to guard.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Kleiza is only half the player. That point I made was secondary to the first point. Hence the order.

They need to spend the money this summer. Depending on who they draft and who they don't like currently on the roster it could make sense to put some money down on a vet who plays lockdown defense at one of the most difficult positions to guard.
              Yeah, I only read that after. My bad. I hastily read it. I'd be open to giving Kirilenko 7 mil a season. I mean, you know he's gonna play tough, he play fantastic D, and can play multiple positions (like you said). The only difficult part is - is he going to have issues with Casey? I know he butted heads with Sloan a few times in the past.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post

Yeah, I only read that after. My bad. I hastily read it. I'd be open to giving Kirilenko 7 mil a season. I mean, you know he's gonna play tough, he play fantastic D, and can play multiple positions (like you said). The only difficult part is - is he going to have issues with Casey? I know he butted heads with Sloan a few times in the past.
                While you're right, he did butt heads with Sloan at times, he also busted his ass for Sloan regardless of that. I'm not worried at all. I mean the Jazz still are interested in him playing there so that should tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

If we are gonna draft a stud SF our best bet might be to just keep Kleiza as a stop gap instead of signing someone for 3-4 years.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Kleiza can be moved. AK47 is a better player than anyone on the team not named Andrea Bargnani. Minutes can be freed up. Heck, Ed and/or Amir might end up getting moved for a PG for all we know. If that happens then suddenly there are a whole lot of free minutes to be had.

Comment

Kleiza can be moved. AK47 is a better player than anyone on the team not named Andrea Bargnani. Minutes can be freed up. Heck, Ed and/or Amir might end up getting moved for a PG for all we know. If that happens then suddenly there are a whole lot of free minutes to be had.
                      How do you feel about his injury history though? He almost makes Jose look like Cal Ripken Jr.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        How do you feel about his injury history though? He almost makes Jose look like Cal Ripken Jr.
                        • For his career he's played in 83% of all possible regular season games. That works out to around 68 games per season.
                        • Jose Calderon has played in 87% of all possible regular season games. That works out to around 71 games per season.

So you see they're very similar.

That's assuming that every game missed was due to some sort of health reason.
                        Last edited by Apollo; Thu Feb 9, 2012, 02:44 PM. Reason: Corrected stats.

Comment

• For his career he's played in 83% of all possible regular season games. That works out to around 68 games per season.
                          • Jose Calderon has played in 87% of all possible regular season games. That works out to around 71 games per season.

So you see they're very similar.

That's assuming that every game missed was due to some sort of health reason.
                          Alright, I exaggerated a wee bit.

But seriously, he is 31 in nine days. He'll be turning 32 next year. In the last 3 NBA seasons he has averaged 63 games.

Would you want a sizable chunk of cap space (assuming he'll sign for $7-8M) spent on a player who will miss nearly 1 in 4 games when you can have James Johnson and Kleiza for the same amount?

Comment

... So, yeah, weren't you recommending 38 year old Steve Nash not too long ago?

AK47 is a lot better than both those guys by the way. If they signed AK for two or three seasons there's not much risk involved if we're talking $7M/yr. That's good value. He might even be had at the MLE. That's a steal and Toronto should be very marketable given the International flavor of the city and the defensive minded, no nonsense coaching style of Dwayne Casey.

Comment

... So, yeah, weren't you recommending 38 year old Steve Nash not too long ago?

AK47 is a lot better than both those guys by the way. If they signed AK for two or three seasons there's not much risk involved if we're talking $7M/yr. That's good value. He might even be had at the MLE. That's a steal and Toronto should be very marketable given the International flavor of the city and the defensive minded, no nonsense coaching style of Dwayne Casey.
                              But Nash has averaged about 78 games per season since 2001-02 and is well known for his off season training and conditioning.

I think there is a legitimate concern about AK47's injury history nevermind I think he will be looking for much more than 2-3 years. This will be his last big payday in all likelihood.

If you could get AK47 at the MLE, yes, I'd be all over that.
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Feb 9, 2012, 08:56 PM. Reason: clarification in 2nd paragraph over person discussed

Comment

Well the most he can get is four years and if someone wants to give him that then I'm sure(or hope) it won't the Raptors because it doesn't jive with the current gameplan.

Comment

Working...
                                X