Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for the Raptors to look at Bayless in a different light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not trying to compare him to Westbrook. I'm just saying what's wrong with having a score first PG. Especially when his the best shot creator on are team.

As a pure scorer Bayless is better than Westbrook. Westbrook is just a freak athlete. Bayless is a good defender, he just bails players out with fouling at the end of the possession. Which gets better with experience.

That's beside my point. I'm just saying what wrong with having a PG with a high scoring rate but lower TO rate than Westbrook.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      I'm not trying to compare him to Westbrook. I'm just saying what's wrong with having a score first PG. Especially when his the best shot creator on are team.

As a pure scorer Bayless is better than Westbrook. Westbrook is just a freak athlete. Bayless is a good defender, he just bails players out with fouling at the end of the possession. Which gets better with experience.

That's beside my point. I'm just saying what wrong with having a PG with a high scoring rate but lower TO rate than Westbrook.
      Did you see Bayless guarding, or attempting to guard, John Wall? It is a tough matchup but he was owned.

What stats or observations are you using to come to the conclusion Bayless is a better pure scorer than Westbrook? I don't see it.

As for having a high scoring PG, there is nothing wrong with it. But you need a PG, high scoring or not, that makes good decisions. Bayless does not in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Did you see Bayless guarding, or attempting to guard, John Wall? It is a tough matchup but he was owned.

What stats or observations are you using to come to the conclusion Bayless is a better pure scorer than Westbrook? I don't see it.

As for having a high scoring PG, there is nothing wrong with it. But you need a PG, high scoring or not, that makes good decisions. Bayless does not in my opinion.
        I don't know about you but, who else should we have ran a play for in the closing parts of the game? He was the best option down the stretch. If Andrea was playing he wouldn't had to force the action. No one else on the court could create a shot.

The reason why Wall dominated was cause we let him get confident against Calderon at the beginning of the game. When 4Q and OT came along he was already extremely confident, that he even started hitting jumpers.

40 games left we need to sit Calderon down(and trade) and try the Jerryd Bayless experiment.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

And how the hell is he going to get assists if guys aren't trying to get open. Kleiza was the only one trying to contribute on offense the rest were standing there with their head up their ass's. you but Bayless on a team with guys like KD, harden and Ibaka and he'll dish out 5-8 assists easy. If demar tried moving without the ball more and trying to get open like last year Bayless would have got a couple more assists. Last year Bayless as a starter average 20 and 5 that ain't bad

Comment

I don't know about you but, who else should we have ran a play for in the closing parts of the game? He was the best option down the stretch. If Andrea was playing he wouldn't had to force the action. No one else on the court could create a shot.

The reason why Wall dominated was cause we let him get confident against Calderon at the beginning of the game. When 4Q and OT came along he was already extremely confident, that he even started hitting jumpers.

40 games left we need to sit Calderon down(and trade) and try the Jerryd Bayless experiment.
            i think if andrea were on the floor bayless still would have forced things and been pulled. team needs to trade barbosa for a tpe or pick and let bayless play his role the rest of the season to see if he is worth 4 million. much like barbosa bayless needs to be given free reign when he is on the court.

there is nothing wrong with seeing someone for what they are. i like bayless' game and hope he stays as our sixth man, which i said earlier. pointing to this game you can see what he is capable of when no one else can score.(even if klieza was insanely more efficient)

Comment

Who else? Hmmmm.... Kleiza? And not as a last resort throwing it to him in the corner with no rhythym to get a shot off. 23 shots many of which were ill-advised, just like the quick shot with 3 minutes left versus Miami. Oh yeah, and just 3 assists playing as the PG for long stretches. From my recollection, Bayless' play does not change with Bargnani in the lineup - he still looks for his shot first and most passes come reluctantly when he has little other option.

Blaming Calderon for Bayless' inability to stop Wall is not really an excuse in my books.

One thing I do agree with is the desire to trade Calderon. The problem with letting Bayless play the PG is that he has shown he is not a PG. He is not a PG anymore than Barbosa is. This was the idea of the original thread - Bayless is not a PG, why are we forcing him to conform to one?
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Feb 8, 2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: Thanks, Maleko.

Comment

Who else? Hmmmm.... Kleiza? And not as a last resort throwing it to him in the corner with no rhythym to get a shot off. 23 shots many of which were ill-advised, just like the quick shot with 3 minutes left versus Miami. Oh yeah, and just 3 assists playing as the PG for long stretches. From my recollection, Bayless' play does not change with Bargnani in the lineup - he still looks for his shot first and most passes come reluctantly when he has little other option.

Blaming Calderon for Bayless' inability to stop Wall is not really an excuse in my books.

One thing I do agree with is the desire to trade Calderon. The problem with letting Bayless play the PG is that he has shown he is not a PG. He is not a PG anymore than Bayless is. This was the idea of the original thread - Bayless is not a PG, why are we forcing him to conform to one?
                Think you mean Barbosa here, but I agree. I was in the other camp thinking he was turning the corner in some games last year, but the way he started the season off he clearly either never got the message that sharing is a positive trait, or has been told 'don't stop shooting' and taken it completely to heart.

Comment

Against the Wizards:

- 3 assists in 39 minutes
                  - What about his defense? Nick Young/Wall took him to school.
                  - All he did well was to shoot 3s (6-10, 18pts)

He had a decent game but the hype is unwarranted. He's Mike James 2.0 with less skills.

Comment

Regression wrote: View Post
                    He's Mike James 2.0 with less skills.
                    Hmmm... I don't know. I think he's more like Barbosa Lite. I think Bayless is destined to be a combo guard offensive spark off the bench. Mike James had a contract year one season shooting clinic in Toronto but he functioned as a solid PG for most of his career elsewhere.

If Bayless wants to market himself as a PG he no doubt is going about it the wrong way during his own contract year.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Hmmm... I don't know. I think he's more like Barbosa Lite. I think Bayless is destined to be a combo guard offensive spark off the bench. Mike James had a contract year one season shooting clinic in Toronto but he functioned as a solid PG for most of his career elsewhere.

If Bayless wants to market himself as a PG he no doubt is going about it the wrong way during his own contract year.
                      He has a $4.1M qualifying offer for next year. I bet he will take it.

Yea I'm unsure about the analogy. Guess we both agree that he's not a natural PG.

Comment

You're assuming they offer it. I am assuming they don't. This free agent class is deep and they can do better with that $4M than him. For example, Steve Blake(not a FA this summer but still...) only makes $4M and he's a far better point guard.

Comment

You're assuming they offer it. I am assuming they don't. This free agent class is deep and they can do better with that $4M than him. For example, Steve Blake(not a FA this summer but still...) only makes $4M and he's a far better point guard.
                          And coincidentally, Blake beat out JB in Portland for the backup PG role a few years ago. Hmmm.
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

This was the idea of the original thread - Bayless is not a PG, why are we forcing him to conform to one?
                            Because a 6 foot guards who can't run a team barely have a place at all in the NBA. He needs reps as a teams lead decision maker if he is to ever improve in that area of the game.

Comment

The Raptors can get a better player than Bayless for $4M/yr via free agency. I'm not sure why Barbosa would come back when he's not going to be able to demand more than the MLE and there will be teams lining up to offer him that and a shot at a ring.
                              A team can always tender an offer lower than the qualifying offer if they believe the player may accept it. The risk is the player refuses the offer and thus becomes an unrestricted free agent. Whether this is a lesser or greater risk than tendering an above market value qualifying offer and risking the player accepts it can be argued either way.

As to Barbosa, Barbosa and Colangelo have a good relationship and I believe that could weight in the equation.

Comment

big_chris wrote: View Post
                                Because a 6 foot guards who can't run a team barely have a place at all in the NBA. He needs reps as a teams lead decision maker if he is to ever improve in that area of the game.
                                He is 6'3". Same height as Eric Gordon, Ben Gordon, Barbosa. He can play combo guard providing scoring and a spark off the bench. That is the only role I see for him on Toronto moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X