Liberals Want to Legalize IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberals Want to Legalize IT

Caption: "...And like I swear, man, the doobie was like this long... Wha-What was I saying again?"

"Let's face up to it, Canada, the war on drugs has been a complete bust," Rae declared in a closing speech to a three-day Liberal renewal convention.

Until now, Liberals have called only for decriminalization of marijuana, as has the NDP. The new call to legalize it completely and regulate its production and sale, much as is done with alcohol, is in stark contrast to the governing Conservatives, who've included stiffer penalties for marijuana possession in their omnibus tough-on-crime bill.
    We Liberals have clearly and emphatically said to the people of Canada: 'We embrace change and we embrace all Canadians as we rebuild this great national party."'
    "If you want to be part of a group of free-thinking, innovative, thoughtful, pragmatic, hopeful, positive, happy people, come and join the Liberal party," he exhorted, adding with a chuckle, "And after the resolution on marijuana today, it's going to be a group of even happier people in the Liberal party."
    Source: CTV

This sounds like a bid to steal all those college voters in Quebec away from the NDPs ha, ha, ha. Seriously though, the Liberals are hitting the early campaign trail with the "Change" theme Obama used back in '08. Obviously they're using a different platform but it's the same tactic.

the tourism money alone would be ridiculous. places like Manitoba and Saskatchewan would get a regular influx of tourists from the bumfuck states like north dakota and montana..

seriously... tourism... in SASKATCHEWAN... that's just unheard of

i know those kids are already crossing the border for beer... but they're literally crossing the border, and heading right back home after an hour with their newly bought beer.

now they'll have to stay for a bit... its one thing to let 19 yr old kids back across the border with some crappy molson beer... its another to let them across with a half-O of sticky

i dont like the idea of the city constantly stinking of ganj though... even though i partake, i cant stand the smell..

Comment

the big thing is it'd lower crime and those that need it medically wouldn't have trouble getting it as much
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't care either way, but I'm just wondering for businesses though.. It may be a stupid question, but I think a lot of us know people that smoke it and it completely messes them up.. So if it was legal, would it be more like cigarettes where you can do it whenever, or more like alcohol where obviously you can't drive or work while under the influence of it?

Comment

i'm not willing to do any of the work looking it up... but i'd be curious to know what the current marijuana crime rate is like

i haven't been CHARGED for anything ganj related... EVER

i have a slew of warnings and confiscations... which i always assume the officer is just going to keep for themselves... because i would

Comment

Sounds like the Liberals are scrounging for votes and are going after another demographic.

Comment

I'm all for legalization because it makes sense. However the Liberals could be finding themselves in a tough position. The baby boomers still basically run the country and I would imagine that a majority of them would be against the legalization of Marijuana which could cost the Liberals a lot of votes and seats.

Grabbing the Gen-X vote has never equated to a majority win before (as far as I know).

Comment

Come on now. The baby boomers grew up during the 60's and 70's. They're the largest consumers if anything. The baby boomers just do it in private because they like it, they have nothing to prove and so out of sight out of mind. The kids get into that stuff to rebel and to rebel you need to be seen. Then they mature and either they stop(they don't like it) or it becomes habit forming(they like it).

Comment

....oh shit, I forgot what I was going to write.....

Comment

The NBA currently tests for marijuana during the season. Legal weed in Toronto would mess with the current NBA drug testing policy.

Comment

And you know who'd be the first one begging to play in Toronto? Michael 'Supercool' Beasley.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        The NBA currently tests for marijuana during the season. Legal weed in Toronto would mess with the current NBA drug testing policy.
                        Not really. There are lots of legal over the counter drugs that pro athletes aren't permitted to take:

Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis tested positive for an elevated testosterone level and was suspended Thursday for 10 games.

Lewis said in a statement that he took an over-the-counter supplement late last season that included a substance he did not realize was banned by the NBA.

"First and foremost I take full responsibility for the situation and accept the corresponding penalty," Lewis said. "I apologize to Magic fans, my teammates and this organization for not doing the research that should come with good judgment."

He will be suspended without pay for the first 10 regular-season games for which he is eligible and physically able to play. He will be docked about $1.6 million of his $18 million salary for the 2009-10 season.
                        Source: ESPN.com

Comment

imagine what the Church of the Universe members are like right now. lol

"that's one down, now if they would only legalize public nudity!?"

btw, if you don't know what the church of the universe is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Universe
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

seriously though, this is definitely just a last resort because they've fallen so far the past few elections and they've been the ones demanding them. it's all complete bullshit, you know I actually learned this in some documentary(not the one with woody harrelson) that pot is illegal everywhere, it's just decriminalized in quite a few places, like parts of colorado and california and amsterdam. it's actually illegal and not decriminalized in jaimaica they just smoke it so much that the cops don't care.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I remember when Pierre Trudeau said they would decriminalize pot if the liberals were elected. The liberals got it. It didn't happen.

I think they might go through with it this time. But this would seriously put a crimp in the money to be made growing it. All those "vacant" apartments in Markham, unused "summer homes" in the Kawartha's and grow-ops all over BC are done. Price of real estate will be in free fall all over this country. Pot/hemp goes back to being an agricultural product.

Comment

Working...
                              X