Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Rasual Butler: not even pretending you aren't tanking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the NBA website we are 5th last. I can see New Orleans and possibly one other team moving past us. I think we will be top 3 or 4, which is a great position, The worst team usually doesn't get the first pick.

I would have to agree, Colangelo was not trying to make the playoffs this season. The off-season proves it. Although if DeMar and Ed don't improve this season, the franchise takes a step back in the building process.

Comment

If some players, like DeRozan and Davis start playing better, which I believe at least one of them will, and Bargnani comes back, we can have a good stretch as well. In that case there is a good chance there will be 5 or more (say 6) teams worse than us.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        If some players, like DeRozan and Davis start playing better, which I believe at least one of them will, and Bargnani comes back, we can have a good stretch as well. In that case there is a good chance there will be 5 or more (say 6) teams worse than us.
        Bargnani coming back also opens things up for DeRozan and ED.

Right now teams are preparing and planning for DD and ED as part of the starting 5. Bargnani definitely takes some of the pressure off them.

There is no doubt the guys have talent. I think they'll eventually put it together. It is these trying times that will show their true worth.

A silver lining for Raptors management might be determining if they are wanted here for the long term or not. Their value right now is undoubtedly low. However that potential and talent is still there. Hopefully they put it together so the Raptors can look at this season as something other than a waste and possibly put them in a deal to get an established star from a team looking to cut costs or gain flexibility (*COUGH* RUDY GAY, MEMPHIS *COUGH*).

Comment

Have we traded DeRozan for Mayo yet?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Bargnani coming back also opens things up for DeRozan and ED.

Right now teams are preparing and planning for DD and ED as part of the starting 5. Bargnani definitely takes some of the pressure off them.
            And in spite of all the critique he is receiving here Butler will probably start trending his 3pt% towards his career mean pretty soon (and that's all he has to do here, defend and spread the floor) which will help a bit to open the paint more for Davis and help DeRozan in- and outside.

Having a bad run isn't bad for these young guys, it's how they'll respond to it (which they'll need to learn) which will tell management and us if they have the capability and character to be here on a new contract. Fans are up and down on those young players, just like most young players aren't consistent on the floor. If facing adversity doesn't build character, Colangelo can do what he does best.
            Last edited by Soft Euro; Fri Jan 20, 2012, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Have we traded DeRozan for Mayo yet?
              Oh God help us...

Comment

i like that trade, actually. would do it in a heartbeat.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

More specificity was needed.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    i like that trade, actually. would do it in a heartbeat.
                    Will you still be saying that in a couple months after DeRozan is through this funk?

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                      The 'tank' consists in putting the Dwane Casey in a position where starting rasual Butler seems like it makes sense.
                      exactly. It's not like the team is tanking on purpose, there is just not enough talent. Good news is that they are still playing hard and fighting in games, that will go a long way by the time next season rolls around

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Will you still be saying that in a couple months after DeRozan is through this funk?
                        Even when his shot is dropping, DeRozan won't have the guard-skills that Mayo already possesses. IMO, Mayo is the player we're hoping DeRozan might one day turn into.

Comment

I don't agree with that at all. I'm not hoping he becomes O.J. Mayo. If the Raptors want Mayo why not wait for the summer and sign him?

Another thing for you to consider is that Mayo has been in the league going on four seasons and he hasn't improved. I'm not against him coming here but I'm against trading DeRozan for him. We're too quick to toss guys under the bus around here.

Comment

Hasn't improved, or hasn't been given the opportunity to improve? Let's face it, with Gay, Z-Bo, and Gasol, there isn't much ball to go around in Memphis.

In Toronto, he'd instantly become the #2 scoring option. The numbers Mayo put up in his first 2 seasons tells me this kid's got game, just waiting for another opportunity to shine.

Comment

He can't even beat out Tony Allen for starter minutes.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                He can't even beat out Tony Allen for starter minutes.
                                Don't forget the in-flight, post card game punch up last season that resulted in him getting dropped after pushing Tony a wee-bit too far.

Comment

Working...
                                X