Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It sounds like what the Thunder want to sign him for is the most any other team will be able to offer on an average per season basis.

Teams can only offer 4 years with 4.5% raises.

OKC can offer 5 years and 7.5% raises.

If Westbrook signs an offer sheet of 4 years with the 4.5% raises, you can be sure OKC matches it.
    It would only take one person to whisper to Westbrook's ear "do you want another 5 years of being Robin to Durant's Batman"

I hope BC is that person, hehehe

Comment

Personally, I think these dates need to have come and gone before getting a true idea of free agent targets:

January 25th - deadline for rookie contracts to get extensions (Gordon, Batum, Westbrook might not be available come July 1st)
      March 15th - trade deadline
      June 28th - draft
      Very true, I just thought it would be fun to have the hypothetical conversation.

ceez wrote: View Post
      My first and foremost target would be Eric Gordon and then Westbrook. I'd offer either the max.
      I'd take a look at Westbrook first. He puts up big numbers on a good team that is contending this year, Gordon on the other hand has been putting up numbers on a lottery team. Westbrook is also a better defender.

Apollo wrote: View Post
      PG
      Chris Paul
      Russell Westbrook
      Ray Felton
      Steve Nash
      D.J. Augustine

SG
      Eric Gordon
      Landry Fields
      O.J. Mayo

SF
      Danilo Gallinari
      Nicolas Batum
      Boris Diaw
      Matt Barnes
      Andres Nocioni

Obviously they're not going to have a realistic shot at some of these guys.
      Good list, I'd take a look at Westbrook, Fields, Gallinari, Batum, and Mayo in that order.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
        Very true, I just thought it would be fun to have the hypothetical conversation.
        Sorry, didn't mean to be 'that guy'. It is just so much can change between now and July 1st.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          It would only take one person to whisper to Westbrook's ear "do you want another 5 years of being Robin to Durant's Batman"

I hope BC is that person, hehehe
          But if he signs an offer sheet with another team, it will be OKC's choice to let him go or not. Unless they execute a sign and trade deal.

if Westbrook truly wants to be Batman, he'll have to sign the qualifying offer and become unrestricted in July 2013. The risk would be $73.3M on his part to get that opportunity.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            PG
            Chris Paul
            Russell Westbrook
            Ray Felton
            Steve Nash
            D.J. Augustine

SG
            Eric Gordon
            Landry Fields
            O.J. Mayo

SF
            Danilo Gallinari
            Nicolas Batum
            Boris Diaw
            Matt Barnes
            Andres Nocioni

Obviously they're not going to have a realistic shot at some of these guys.
            Paul has opted in for the 2012-13 option. Him opting in was the only way the Clippers included both Eric Gordon and the Minny draft pick.

Comment

But if he signs an offer sheet with another team, it will be OKC's choice to let him go or not. Unless they execute a sign and trade deal.

if Westbrook truly wants to be Batman, he'll have to sign the qualifying offer and become unrestricted in July 2013. The risk would be $73.3M on his part to get that opportunity.
              But if he says i dont want an extension, cant he become an unrestricted FA in the summer?

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                But if he says i dont want an extension, cant he become an unrestricted FA in the summer?
                No, not this summer. He has to play out the qualifying offer. It would be the same situation as the Bull with Ben Gordon a few years ago. Ben wanted a big contract, the Bulls offered a big contract just not big enough in Ben's opinion. He played out the qualifying offer and signed with Detroit. Same as Ray Felton with Bobcats and signing with Knicks.

Comment

chandler all the way. love his game. saw so much of him here in the cba. it was funny how much better he was. starbury has been here the past couple years and is pretty ordinary stats wise with some nice passes they show on the sports channel but chandler embarrassed the entire league. other coaches (even the ones who have nba talent on thier teams) were whining and complaining that chandlers team had an unfair talent advantage. layed down some 50 pointers, awesome blocks on weak to the basket moves. just dominated the entire year. whoever signs chandler is getting the yao ming treatment for their teammates in shoe deals and tv money. he just blew up to the point of sillyness this year.

also on galli, im pretty sure he is restricted so no chance denver lets him go. bargs minus 3 inches with more aggression.

edited to add i also like felton a lot. and i think that if you fill the team out the free agency way you let BigV walk into center and package our pick with Davis/DD to get a superstar type player.
                  Last edited by Miekenstien; Wed Jan 18, 2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I know JaVale McGee is a bonehead, but he's young, athletic, has a great wing span and has an attitude which this team is sorely lacking. Perhaps getting him out of the Wizards locker would do him some good character wise. Great talent and isn't a huge name so we might actually have a chance at landing him.

If Kaman could be had for cheap and for a short contract I wouldn't mind bringing him in to mentor Val.

Comment

I'm not sold about signing Felton, Gallinari or Wilson Chandler. I think all three might be overrated. Not that I think they are bad, but they'll get the typical D'antoni bonus. And after playing for D'antoni they moved to Denver which plays at one of the leagues highest paces. Their stats, and consequently appreciation and consequently future salary, might very well be inflated. (I'm not even mentioning Landry Fields)

A similar problem can occur with Batum; he has loads of upside and talent, but I think the team that lands him might overpay as well.

Comment

I just read Batum said he'd never sign with Toronto because of "what happened before the draft".

Anyone want to shed some light on this?
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          I just read Batum said he'd never sign with Toronto because of "what happened before the draft".

Anyone want to shed some light on this?
                          From July 2008:

French swingman Nicolas Batum, projected to be a late first-round NBA draft pick, stopped participating in a workout with the Toronto Raptors earlier this week after a stress echo test -- a treadmill test that measures the health of the heart -- came back in the "borderline" area.

"There is an issue with Batum, and nothing is clear," his agent, Bouna Ndiaye, told ESPN.com on Friday afternoon. "The number [the score on his stress echo test] could be a borderline problem if he had a family history of heart problems. But I talked to Nicolas's mother and she said his father didn't die of a heart problem. His team in France and the French national team test him regularly and said they've never seen any indication that he had a heart issue."

A Sports Illustrated report in February said that Batum's father, Henry, suffered a "massive heart attack" and died at the free throw line while playing pro basketball in France when Nicolas was 2 years old. According to Ndiaye, Batum's father died of an aneurysm, not a heart attack.

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo, reached by phone, refused to comment on the situation.

Batum was scheduled to be in the three-team workout in New Jersey on Friday, but didn't play. He did take a physical, and Ndiaye said results were similar to those in Toronto. Ndiaye said Batum will undergo another test over the weekend and, if it goes well, he'll be able to begin workouts again next week.

Batum also has canceled an open workout in New York scheduled for Saturday.
                          "He feels fine," Ndiaye said. "He wants to work out. He's been doing great. This morning he really wanted to work out with Joe Alexander. This is disappointing. I really don't think this is a real issue."

It's unclear whether the issue will affect Batum's draft status. It does come at a bad time. After wowing NBA scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit in April 2007, his draft stock has been on the decline. His play in the French league this year wasn't stellar. Neither was a brief appearance at this year's Reebok Eurocamp.

However, he's had some strong individual workouts for teams and was projected as a potential pick somewhere between 17 and 27.

Source: ESPN.com

If Batum did say that (I can't find a quote for it), it might have something to do with a miscommunication between him and Toronto front office, his opinion he is 100% healthy and the Raptors saying there could be a problem, a sensitivity over his father's health history and his own, or a belief Colangelo/front office spread rumours or misinformation about his health to other teams.

Any and all of the above is speculation on my part.

Comment

From July 2008:

Source: ESPN.com

If Batum did say that (I can't find a quote for it), it might have something to do with a miscommunication between him and Toronto front office, his opinion he is 100% healthy and the Raptors saying there could be a problem, a sensitivity over his father's health history and his own, or a belief Colangelo/front office spread rumours or misinformation about his health to other teams.

Any and all of the above is speculation on my part.
                            Seems this has come from a Ryan Wolstat tweet where he refers to a French interview. Who knows the accuracy but plausible.

Brings us back to the draft for a SF and perhaps a depth move with Wilson Chandler.
                            Last edited by Maleko; Fri Jan 20, 2012, 09:49 AM. Reason: typing error/autospell correction screwy

Comment

Seems Westbrook is off the table, he just signed an extension for the max with OKC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ook/index.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...ion/52684794/1
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I find Batum incredibly overrated anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X