No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Toronto Raptors are trying to find a new home for Jose Calderon, but so far no proposed deal has been good enough and the point guard may still be with the team when training camp opens in late September.

Whether they keep Calderon or not, the Toronto Sun reports the Raptors will sign another point guard.

Free agent point guards who remain unsigned and might draw interest from Toronto include Keyon Dooling, John Lucas III, Nate Robinson, Randy Foye, Ronnie Price and Jonny Flynn.

Was on ESPN insider rumours...thoughts?

Comment

• If Calderon isn't traded, any of those names would be 3rd stringers, and I don't envision any of them being happy with that role.

Unless they're thinking ahead and anticipate Calderon being moved at some point in the next 12 months, and will buy their time in street clothes until then.

Comment

• I think they should try and get a first round pick for Jose. Our pick in next years draft will not likely be too high so hopefully if we can get another first round pick for Jose we can package it with our own and move up maybe.

Nobody from that list really jumps out at me. Flynn was a lotto pick and had shown a lot of promise before he got hurt. Hopefully if he's fully healed he can regain form.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I think they should try and get a first round pick for Jose. Our pick in next years draft will not likely be too high so hopefully if we can get another first round pick for Jose we can package it with our own and move up maybe.

Nobody from that list really jumps out at me. Flynn was a lotto pick and had shown a lot of promise before he got hurt. Hopefully if he's fully healed he can regain form.
          I think that if Colangelo could get a 1st round pick for Calderon, he would have done it already. Maybe he's still trying, but that might be a tough ask.

By the way, if the Raptors' pick is in the top 14, they will likely need to send that to Houston for Lowry. So, unless they make the playoffs they probably won't have a pick in Round 1 next year.

Comment

• OJ Mayo signed with Dallas

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but it looks like OJ Mayo has signed with Dallas:
            http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...llas-mavericks

This also means that Jose to Dallas is not going to happen.

Comment

• I'd be pretty surprised if Jose isn't on the team for the season. Could see him moved to a contender at the trade deadline if someone gets hurt but that's about it.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• There's a part of me that thinks the longer we wait on Calderon, the more likely he'll come to terms with his backup role (and might even embrace it).

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                  I think that if Colangelo could get a 1st round pick for Calderon, he would have done it already. Maybe he's still trying, but that might be a tough ask.

By the way, if the Raptors' pick is in the top 14, they will likely need to send that to Houston for Lowry. So, unless they make the playoffs they probably won't have a pick in Round 1 next year.
                  It's hard to conceive that someone isn't willing to give up a first round pick for Jose, whose been a great distributor, good perimeter shooter and excellent free throw shooter through his career. Hopefully BC can work some magic. Jose has always played really well with the second unit, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for our playoff hopes to keep him on the roster if he is willing. Would make for a good bench to have Jose throwing lobs to Amir/JV and dishing to Ross in the open court.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    It's hard to conceive that someone isn't willing to give up a first round pick for Jose, whose been a great distributor, good perimeter shooter and excellent free throw shooter through his career. Hopefully BC can work some magic. Jose has always played really well with the second unit, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for our playoff hopes to keep him on the roster if he is willing. Would make for a good bench to have Jose throwing lobs to Amir/JV and dishing to Ross in the open court.
                    My point was that I think that if a team was willing to give a 1st round pick for Calderon, then Colangelo would have made that deal by now. I like Calderon a lot, but his salary is going to be difficult for another team to fit into their cap situation next year. So, some teams might just wait to see if the Raptors use the amnesty provision, and then try to pick up Calderon for cheap in the amnesty auction. Otherwise, some of the contending teams might be more interested in Calderon closer to the trade deadline when they don't have to pick up his entire salary, and then benefit from his expiring contract. So, Calderon's highest value might actually be close to the trading deadline. I agree with you that keeping Calderon is also a good option. He would make the Raptors' second unit much more potent and steady.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I read that, too.

He isn't signed there yet though so you never know.
                      http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...h_Anadolu_Efes

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        I'd be pretty surprised if Jose isn't on the team for the season. Could see him moved to a contender at the trade deadline if someone gets hurt but that's about it.
                        Yeah, and that wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Raps can't be expected to trade him for nothing, but we could try to get him in to a good situation at the deadline if he still wished to move on, and we could spare the player (if we weren't in the hunt ourselves). Certainly our other options at the point look horrible at this stage. I only want to trade Calderon if we can make a significant improvement to the team.

Comment

• Can't they do that salary share type thing that baseball does?

Where the team that trades the player pays part of his salary.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                            Can't they do that salary share type thing that baseball does?

Where the team that trades the player pays part of his salary.
                            Up to $3m cash can be included in transactions for the year for each team.

Comment

• Ya, but that is different. What i'm saying is

When Derek Lowe was traded from the braves to indians. The braves at 10 mil. of his 15 mil. contract.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Clips ammneistied ryan gomes to make room for grant hill..would you guys take him?

He can play the 3/4 and can shoot the 3..i think he is worth a bid

Comment

Working...
                                X