No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• give me goran dragic and andrei kirilenko draf beal and ill be a happy camper

Comment

• It's gotta be Kirilenko. In so many ways is Kirilenko the perfect Free Agent for the Raptors. Defense, Leadership, Shooting...perfect compliment to DD and Bargs and a great mentor for the young guys. There's also no better FA to fit into Casey's system. Good money down on AK47 being in TO next season.

There's really no one else I think would fit better. This is particularly true if the Raptors draft Quincy Miller - which I'm totally convinced they should.

Comment

• HoopsWorld.com: top 10 restricted free agents

10 – George Hill, Indiana Pacers ($3.1 million QO)

Hill has had the bad luck of being behind two very good point guards in his career, first with Tony Parker in San Antonio and then with Darren Collison in Indiana. He is a good defender who can run a team and score. Lately his play has the Pacers questioning who their starting point really should be. Several of the teams with money are in need of a point guard, which means chances are someone will offer him a starting role and starting money.

9 – Ryan Anderson, Orlando Magic ($3.2 million QO)

Up until this season, Anderson was a nice niche player, able to come off the bench and hit a few three-pointers every so often. All he’s done in 2011-12 is post career-highs in points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, FG% and FT%, plus lead the league in three-point attempts and makes while hitting 44% of them. He gets press for his shooting, but the other numbers are pretty dang good, too.

8 – O.J. Mayo, Memphis Grizzlies ($4.0 million QO*)

Mayo is the first on this list to have his QO reduced, down from $7.4 million. If it had been based on his first two years in the league, he would have hit that higher number, but 2010-11 was a rough year for him as he struggled to keep his role with the new-look Grizzlies. This year, he became a top-tier sixth man, improving in almost every category over 2010-11 in about the same minutes.

7 – Courtney Lee, Houston Rockets ($3.2 million QO)

The Houston Rockets have been talking about trading starting shooting guard Kevin Martin for awhile and it may well happen as soon as they can re-sign Lee. However, with his balance of defense, offense and basketball IQ there will be many teams looking to acquire him. The question becomes for how much?

6 – JaVale McGee, Denver Nuggets ($3.7 million QO*)

By contrast, McGee gets a small bump in his QO (from $3.5 million) because of his number of starts. This past year, he posted career-highs in scoring, FG% and steals. Considering the way big men with some defensive talent are in demand in free agency, McGee will be a hotter property than perhaps the rest of his game deserves.

5 – Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks ($1.0 million QO)

Too low? There is no doubt Lin made his mark on the Knicks and the NBA scene before his unfortunate knee injury, but it’s tough to say Lin deserves to be higher than the remaining four names on this list. There are still questions about turnovers, but the Knicks are in the driver’s seat with Lin because of the protection they enjoy in his restricted free agency with the “Gilbert Arenas Provision.” (See more details in a well-written piece by Larry Coon.) If they want him, he’ll be a Knick.

4 – Brook Lopez, New Jersey Nets ($4.0 million QO*)

Yes, it would be nice if Lopez rebounded a bit more and put a little more effort into the defensive side of the floor, but it’s hard to argue with a center averaging 17.4 points a game for his career. Coming off injury, he dropped a bit on this list (as did his QO, from $4.2 million), but he will have no shortage of suitors.

3 – Nic Batum, Portland Trail Blazers ($3.7 million QO*)

Batum, with a QO bump from $3.2 million for his games started, may be the best all-around player on this list. He has shown he can effectively start at shooting guard and small forward, is a very good perimeter defender with the ability to defend at least three positions and can score from anywhere on the floor. The question has always been his consistency, but this season he became a legitimate second option to LaMarcus Aldridge. Portland wants to keep him, so prying him away will be expensive.

2 – Eric Gordon, New Orleans Hornets ($4.0 million QO*)

Like Lopez, Gordon’s QO drops (from $5.1 million) because an injury-shortened 2011-12 prevented him from getting in enough starts. He is the best pure scorer of the bunch and will be the top shooting guard available, restricted or otherwise. In fact, for many teams he will be the number one target on their shopping list. With a new owner in New Orleans, though, it just got a little harder to pry him away.

1 – Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers ($3.7 million QO*)

All Hibbert did in his fourth season was get named to his first All-Star team, help lead the Pacers to a five-win improvement over the previous season (in 16 less games!), and posted career-highs in points, rebounds, blocks, FG%, steals and minutes. That earned him a modest bump in the QO (from $3.6 million). As an All-Star center hitting free agency at only 25 years of age, many teams will be drooling over acquiring him. However, chances seem pretty slim the Pacers let him go.

Twelve More: Greg Stiemsma, Boston Celtics; D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats; Omer Asik, Chicago Bulls; Brandon Rush, Golden State Warriors; Marreese Speights, Memphis Grizzlies; Michael Beasley, Minnesota Timberwolves; Anthony Randolph, Minnesota Timberwolves; Landry Fields, New York Knicks; J.J. Hickson, Portland Trail Blazers; Jason Thompson, Sacramento Kings; Danny Green, San Antonio Spurs; Jerryd Bayless, Toronto Raptors
        http://www.hoopsworld.com/top-10-nba...ed-free-agents

Comment

• Gimme some of that George Hill
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• This is fantasy land, but if the Raptors can get Kirilenko and Nash, plus bring over JV. That's a pretty awesome team, perhaps not championship awesome, and certainly not built for the long term with AK47 and Nash playing major roles, but damn, that would be some fun seasons until those two broke down.

I've been pushing for Lillard or TJones in the draft, given our likely draft position, but if we do get vets like these to play SF and PG. Then unless we trade Jose, which we shouldn't, Lillard wont get minutes, so then I'd be more for TJones, since we can probably make minutes at the SF spot, by wither trading one of JJ or LK, or trading one of ED or AJ and then moving JJ or LK over. Or trade as many of them as you can and get one of a PF or combo forward like Tony Mitchell in the draft.

Ok, back to reality now. We're not likely to get either of those guys, NJ will be gunnin' hard for AK47, and Nash is probably not nearly as sentimental about Canada as Canada is about him.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
              It's gotta be Kirilenko. In so many ways is Kirilenko the perfect Free Agent for the Raptors. Defense, Leadership, Shooting...perfect compliment to DD and Bargs and a great mentor for the young guys. There's also no better FA to fit into Casey's system. Good money down on AK47 being in TO next season.

There's really no one else I think would fit better. This is particularly true if the Raptors draft Quincy Miller - which I'm totally convinced they should.
              +1
              Andrei would be a great vet on this team. All his done is win games in the NBA but draft wise we need to get some shooting or take chance on huge upside(which BC is known to do) in this draft I say Jeremy Lamb/Damian Lillard or PJ3
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                This is fantasy land, but if the Raptors can get Kirilenko and Nash, plus bring over JV. That's a pretty awesome team, perhaps not championship awesome, and certainly not built for the long term with AK47 and Nash playing major roles, but damn, that would be some fun seasons until those two broke down.

I've been pushing for Lillard or TJones in the draft, given our likely draft position, but if we do get vets like these to play SF and PG. Then unless we trade Jose, which we shouldn't, Lillard wont get minutes, so then I'd be more for TJones, since we can probably make minutes at the SF spot, by wither trading one of JJ or LK, or trading one of ED or AJ and then moving JJ or LK over. Or trade as many of them as you can and get one of a PF or combo forward like Tony Mitchell in the draft.

Ok, back to reality now. We're not likely to get either of those guys, NJ will be gunnin' hard for AK47, and Nash is probably not nearly as sentimental about Canada as Canada is about him.
                I agree that Nash is kind of a long shot but AK47 is totally possible
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i have zero clue why everyone is so high on ak47. if he was such a game changer wouldn't he have been in the nba this year? maybe in his prime he was a nice player but he's well past it.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• As much as I like Kirilenko, and as much as I think he would be a great fit here because he can play multiple positions and defend them very well, he's got a great thing going in Europe and it we'd have to really open to vault to have him come back here. If he were 26-27, sure. But at 31? No thanks, especially at the money he'll be commanding

Comment

• Put, all of everything about Nash away and just consider this one thing.

Bryan Colangelo has known Nash for how long?

What do you think he wants Steve to have the most?

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• I think as far as starters are concerned.

I don't see Colangelo going after anyone older than 28.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          i have zero clue why everyone is so high on ak47. if he was such a game changer wouldn't he have been in the nba this year? maybe in his prime he was a nice player but he's well past it.
                          He signed in Russia during the lockout and chose to stay there. I don't think it has anything to do with him not having an opportunity to play in the nba; except maybe that his financial demands were too high.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            maybe the Matrix but i feel we already have a younger version of him in James Johnson
                            James Johnson is also a much better shooter than the matrix.
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                              I think as far as starters are concerned.

I don't see Colangelo going after anyone older than 28.
                              our roster is already so young, this even more youth coming in next season. with playoffs being the goal, why send in a bunch of kids without any experience?

this team needs guidance for all the inexperienced talent if they want to achieve any type of success.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                                James Johnson is also a much better shooter than the matrix.
                                I'd hesitate to use the words "much better" in relation to James Johnson and shooting; nevermind who he is compared with

Comment

Working...
                                X