Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanchie wrote: View Post
    The Spurs want him because Parker is pushing for it, just like he managed to convince them to sign Diaw. These guys have played together every summer for years in National team, they developped chemistry and they get on so well that it would make a lot of sense for a team that values team spirit above individuals.
    The Spurs nearly traded Parker last summer.

Popovich and RC do not cater to the demands of star players - luckily Tim Duncan has never been a player to make demands as a star player. Their number one concern is San Antonio.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The Spurs nearly traded Parker last summer.

Popovich and RC do not cater to the demands of star players - luckily Tim Duncan has never been a player to make demands as a star player. Their number one concern is San Antonio.
      I'm not saying that they brought Diaw and would bring Batum because Parker whined, I'm saying that he suggested to add these guys because he knows them very well and they're intelligent players. And since Pop and management value star player's opinions (which is different from catering to their demands) and these one seemed like they would fit, it worked (at least for Diaw so far).

I'm pretty sure Diaw would have ended up somewhere else after being cut by CHA if Parker hadn't been a spur.

Comment

I'm not saying that they brought Diaw and would bring Batum because Parker whined, I'm saying that he suggested to add these guys because he knows them very well and they're intelligent players. And since Pop and management value star player's opinions (which is different from catering to their demands) and these one seemed like they would fit, it worked (at least for Diaw so far).

I'm pretty sure Diaw would have ended up somewhere else after being cut by CHA if Parker hadn't been a spur.
        That is an opinion and speculation no one ever will have a definitive answer for. Given Diaw's skills, I don't think that statement is black and white or 100% accurate and fair. I can respect the opinion though.

Considering the Spurs targeted him in the draft but they never got the chance to draft him, I think they've been watching Batum for a long time - nevermind Parker.

Comment

Batum is going to be a huge investment. The Spurs are on the verge of a retooling. I don't think they look at Batum because Parker recommends it. I think they look at Batum because they're highly interested and as a bonus after thought it's nice to know that he'll get along well with Parker because they already know each other.

Comment

That is an opinion and speculation no one ever will have a definitive answer for. Given Diaw's skills, I don't think that statement is black and white or 100% accurate and fair. I can respect the opinion though.

Considering the Spurs targeted him in the draft but they never got the chance to draft him, I think they've been watching Batum for a long time - nevermind Parker.
            100% agree on the "it's not black or white". But the fact that Diaw already knew a large part of the Spurs' systems (because Parker brought them to Team France) must have been appealing for Pop.

http://projectspurs.com/2012-article...ers-couch.html

Comment

• I think the fact that they could sign a guy for peanuts who is talented enough to start really appealed to Pop. Regardless of where he was from he was a no brainer signing at that price.

I don't think the Spurs have a history of signing guys because they're friends with guys already on the team. They seem all business first and foremost to me. I think if anything Diaw signed with the Spurs because Parker was there and they're a contender. The Spurs happily agreed.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                I think the fact that they could sign a guy for peanuts who is talented enough to start really appealed to Pop. Regardless of where he was from he was a no brainer signing at that price.

I don't think the Spurs have a history of signing guys because they're friends with guys already on the team. They seem all business first and foremost to me. I think if anything Diaw signed with the Spurs because Parker was there and they're a contender. The Spurs happily agreed.
                Whatever they are doing they should bottle and sell it. Spurs will be making the playoffs for the 15th straight season (Longest on record) Every team should study how they operate and make choices. With Parker, Ginobli, Duncan, Bonner, Splitter, Diaw they have one of the most international teams with great players and no disruptive personalities. Even Stephen Jackson will behave himself there. Which is why I like Toronto's method of adding high character international players.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Excellent points. I agree with everything you said and it's why I roll my eyes every time someone recommends that the Raptors sign a high talent, low character player.

Jackson behaved himself last time around in San Antonio so that probably helped them when considering bringing him in regardless of his past problems on teams with weak leadership.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    Whatever they are doing they should bottle and sell it. Spurs will be making the playoffs for the 15th straight season (Longest on record) Every team should study how they operate and make choices. With Parker, Ginobli, Duncan, Bonner, Splitter, Diaw they have one of the most international teams with great players and no disruptive personalities. Even Stephen Jackson will behave himself there. Which is why I like Toronto's method of adding high character international players.
                    This plus the fact that they are awesome at international scouting.

Parker/Ginobili/Splitter : average draft rank of 37.66

Bobcats playing the same positions :

Augustin/Henderson/Biyombo : average draft rank of 9.33

Ouch.

I know, i know : it's not a fair comparison, cause TP and Manu are way more experienced, but still...

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                      Other teams have already tried ....and the best way for ownership to do this is hire away senior personnel from the Spurs front office. The only one to my knowledge who has been successful is Presti of Seattle/OKC. My own view is that the straw that stirs the drink with the Spurs is Popovich and longevity of him and Buford at the top. I believe that Pop has more power than Buford there and all acquisitions/trades have to be approved by him. They just dont deviate from the type of players they employ and when they make a mistake they correct it immediatey (eg. they traded for Hedo and he lasted one season). Of course they lucky with a character player like Duncan after another one like Robinson so there was continuity there. But Pops commands so much respect that everyone falls in line. Duplicating him is not easy. That is why having a coach like Casey here is so very good.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Other teams have already tried ....and the best way for ownership to do this is hire away senior personnel from the Spurs front office. The only one to my knowledge who has been successful is Presti of Seattle/OKC. My own view is that the straw that stirs the drink with the Spurs is Popovich and longevity of him and Buford at the top. I believe that Pop has more power than Buford there and all acquisitions/trades have to be approved by him. They just dont deviate from the type of players they employ and when they make a mistake they correct it immediatey (eg. they traded for Hedo and he lasted one season). Of course they lucky with a character player like Duncan after another one like Robinson so there was continuity there. But Pops commands so much respect that everyone falls in line. Duplicating him is not easy. That is why having a coach like Casey here is so very good.
                        I'm not too sure about the Spurs the last few seasons. I can't believe they still haven't gotten an athletic big man to pair with Duncan (Splitter and Duncan don't seem to mash when playing together) and I think they are severly undersized against some teams with two offensively capable big man (like the Lakers and Mephis and even the Thunder when playing small with Durant at the PF). I fully expected them to trade for one during this season. Good regular season again, but I think they are only an outsider in the playoffs in spite of their record.

Comment

• Word is the raps have a deal in place with Sasha "somehow banging Sharapova" V for 4 years/18 milli. Seems a little fishy to me but the fact it's even being reported is enough to make me throw up in my mouth.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Word is the raps have a deal in place with Sasha "somehow banging Sharapova" V for 4 years/18 milli. Seems a little fishy to me but the fact it's even being reported is enough to make me throw up in my mouth.
                            Good god no!

Comment

Good god no!
                              LOL! I think this rumour needs to die quickly. I saw this on realgm. Some poster found a twitter post by some handle named kubilaykeceli who indicated that Sasha V is signing with the Raps.

Here is the realgm link:
                              http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...=32&p=31512173

Comment

• There must be some sort of mistake.

Replace the words "Toronto Raptors" with "Spartak SP of the Russian Super League"

And replace the words "4y/$18 million" with "a bag of peanuts"

Comment

Working...
                                X