Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Batum got the start last night at SG over Wesley Matthews last night. What did he do? Only 33 points, 50% from the field, 6 of 6 from the line, 3 treys, four boards, a steal and a block.

Earlier in the day before the game I had been offered Bargnani straight up for Batum in the RR Fantasy League. I turned it down.

Those stats are nice, but if you look at the bigger picture - Portland lost to a very weak Wizards team, and Batum was a minus 12.

I'd still take a crack at him though. A guy that can produce 30+ points who is only 23 can be turned into an all-star with the right defensive coach

Comment

• The guy can't do it all himself. He played outstandingly well despite Aldridge being out and despite the struggles at the PG spot. Batum is actually known as a good defender.

Comment

• HoopsWorld.com: Top Free Agents by Position

Point Guards

1 – Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets (ETO, $16.4 million): A three-time All-Star, Williams brings career averages of 17.4 points and 9.2 assists to wherever he lands.

2 – Aaron Brooks*, Phoenix Suns: Brooks is currently tied to the Suns, but depending on if he signs a deal upon his return from China with Phoenix he could be an unrestricted free agent. If he doesn’t sign at all, he will be restricted – or he could sign a long-term deal with Phoenix and be off the market completely. Brooks averaged 19.6 points two seasons ago in Houston.

3 – Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns: The Suns would like to keep Nash and he likes it in Phoenix, but a veteran team a point guard away from contending could lure him away. An eight-time All-Star Nash just turned 38, but he led the league in assists six of the last eight seasons, including this one.

4 – Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks: Hinrich is not spectacular, but he’s a decent shooter (career 38% shooter from three-point range) and makes smart decisions. Teams in the market for a veteran to fill the backup spot could do far worse.

5 – Jeremy Lin*, New York Knicks: It’s still very early for Lin, but assuming he stays on his current path – or even just settles into the role of setting the table for Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire – Lin is going to be in demand. If the Knicks make him restricted, teams can only offer him up to the NBA average salary and New York can use their Mid-Level Exception to match offers.

The Next Three: Andre Miller (Denver Nuggets), Goran Dragic* (Houston Rockets), George Hill* (Indiana Pacers)
        Shooting Guards

1 – Eric Gordon*, New Orleans Hornets: Even though Gordon’s time with the Hornets has been plagued by injury he’s still the most talented shooting guard in this class. Presuming his injuries are resolved with no perceived long-term effects he will be paid handsomely this summer.

2 – O.J. Mayo*, Memphis Grizzlies: Mayo’s production has gone down from his first two seasons in the league, but he clearly has the talent to be a starter in the NBA. Memphis may want to keep him in his sixth man role, but someone is going to offer him starter’s money and he will take it.

3 – Lou Williams, Philadelphia 76ers (ETO, $5.4 million): Perhaps closer to a point guard than a shooting guard in size, Williams has thrived the past few seasons as Philly’s third guard. This year he is posting career-highs in points (15.9) and three-point shooting (39%). If he exercises his ETO Philly may lose him.

4 – Ray Allen, Boston Celtics: Yes, Ray Allen turns 37 about the time the next season begins and his scoring average is the lowest it’s been since his rookie season, but if a team needs three-point shooting their search should end with Allen. He’s shooting 50% from three-point range this season, his seventh over 40%.

5 – Landry Fields*, New York Knicks: Fields is not going to overwhelm anyone with his scoring or any other statistic, but he’s a smart player who plays solid defense and can be that glue player in any lineup who doesn’t need to have plays run for him.

The Next Three: Nick Young (Washington Wizards), Courtney Lee* (Houston Rockets), Jodie Meeks* (Philadelphia 76ers)
        Small Forwards

1 – Nic Batum*, Portland Trail Blazers: Averaging career-highs in steals, blocks and three-point shooting, throughout his first four years Batum has been up and down. If he were to find consistency to go with his talent he’d be everyone’s target.

2 – Wilson Chandler*, Denver Nuggets: What was said above about Aaron Brooks with regards to his status also applies here to Chandler. He does a little bit of everything and could be a very solid player off the bench at multiple positions for many teams, or he could start and be a player capable of defending the other team’s best wing scorer.

3 – Gerald Wallace, Portland Trail Blazers (PO, $9.5 million): If Wallace declines his option he will have suitors, but it will likely be at a lower price. He turns 30 in the fall, but is still one of the league’s best rebounders from the three spot.

4 – Grant Hill, Phoenix Suns: Hill will turn 40 this fall, but because of all the injuries suffered in the middle part of his career has lower mileage than most 35-year-olds and keeps himself in fantastic shape. He’s missed just four games the last four seasons.

5 – Chase Budinger, Houston Rockets (TO, $0.9 million): Budinger seems to have fallen out of favor a bit in Houston, but plenty of teams around the league would love to get his shooting (41% from three this season) on their side. Even if the Rockets decline the option he could still be made a restricted free agent.

The Next Three: Sam Young* (Memphis Grizzlies), Matt Barnes (L.A. Lakers), Donte’ Greene* (Sacramento Kings)
        Power Forwards

1 – Ryan Anderson*, Orlando Magic: Surprised? Yep, so are we. However, Anderson has stepped into the starting lineup this season and is posting career-highs in points, rebounds, steals, field-goal shooting and three-point shooting. Considering his youth, compatibility, and unique talent at his position, that puts him at the top of this list. For now.

2 – Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics: Garnett will be 36 this fall and entering his 18th NBA season. This year he is posting his lowest scoring average since his rookie season, but is still a tenacious rebounder and fiery defender. He won’t fit all teams, but playoff teams will be tripping over themselves to add him.

3 – Kris Humphries, New Jersey Nets: Apparently Humphries’ double-double average last season was not a fluke. This year he has raised his scoring average, blocks and free throw percentage. He may not be the best at anything, but he gets the job done.

4 – Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs: It’s unlikely Duncan signs anywhere but in San Antonio. The 13-time All-Star has dropped off in recent seasons, but he still can turn it on when needed on either end of the floor.

5 – Michael Beasley*, Minnesota Timberwolves: Beasley won’t be a match for every team, or even many teams. He is high maintenance and isn’t too interested in defense, but he is showing in Minnesota he can fill up the hoop off the bench. A team that wants a scorer could do much worse.

The Next Three: Antawn Jamison (Cleveland Cavaliers), Carl Landry (New Orleans Hornets), Brandon Bass (Boston Celtics – PO, $4.3 million)
        Centers

1 – Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic (ETO, $19.5 million): With all due respect to Deron Williams and everyone else, Howard is the best player in this free agent class. He will become a free agent and will have his pick of max contracts to choose from. New Jersey? Dallas? Somewhere else?

2 – Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers (TO, $16.1 million): It’s unlikely the Lakers decline this team option, but if they did Bynum would immediately become the consolation prize to any team who didn’t sign Howard. So far this year he has been healthy and is posting career-highs in points and rebounds.

3 – Roy Hibbert*, Indiana Pacers: Named to his first NBA All-Star Game just last week, Hibbert is a key member of Indiana’s core. Not only will they look to keep him but they will probably pay him handsomely. The idea is to add to the core of Hibbert, Danny Granger and Darren Collison, so coming to terms on a new deal with their center is the first step.

4 – Brook Lopez*, New Jersey Nets: Most players with Lopez’s resume would have earned themselves big extensions by now, but with the future of the Nets apparently dependent on the whims of Dwight Howard that didn’t happen. Sure, he could rebound more, but if paired with a strong rebounding power forward Lopez could help form a dominating frontcourt.

5 – JaVale McGee*, Washington Wizards: Not too many players near the top of a free agent class do things that simply make you shake your head in wonder – not in a good way – like McGee. Then again, he’s also posting career-highs in points, rebounds, blocks and steals this season. As a restricted free agent he will also be paid very well.

The Next Three: Chris Kaman (New Orleans Hornets), Marcus Camby (Portland Trail Blazers), Spencer Hawes (Philadelphia 76ers)

Source: HoopsWorld.com

Comment

• realistically i think we should go hard at mayo and chandler. two players who i think can be tied up quickly with sign and trade offers while the big guys go about their reality tv show free agent bs.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Batum's career to date doesn't warrant $10M/yr. His upside doesn't warrant $10M/yr. Matt had asked me a while ago, maybe in this thread or maybe another, what I thought was fair and I think I said around $7.5M/yr. I think that holds true. I think that Raptors should get in on the bidding action but there are other players out there and they don't need to be in a bidding war for him. A bidding war is the only way he gets $40 over four years.

It's funny that we're even talking about $10M/yr as I read countless posts in here about how a seven footer who posts 24PPG and 6 boards isn't even worth $10M/yr.
            just because he's not worth it. doesn't mean someone wont give it to him
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Budinger seems like one of those "diamonds in the rough" players Colangelo loves to pursue. And he definitely won't demand the type of salary associated with guys like Chandler or Batum.

Comment

• Outside of Gordon and Chandler, two guys i really like are Meeks (hugely underrated, fantastic shooter) and George Hill.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  Outside of Gordon and Chandler, two guys i really like are Meeks (hugely underrated, fantastic shooter) and George Hill.
                  I like Hill's game, but where does he fit? Is he a PG, or is he a SG? Can he run an offense? Does he take minutes away from DeRozan?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I like Hill's game, but where does he fit? Is he a PG, or is he a SG? Can he run an offense? Does he take minutes away from DeRozan?
                    PG. watching jose get abused by bigger/faster PG's is grating. that's where Hill comes in. he can slide over to the 2 as well and play some minutes there.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Ya hill is actually pretty damn good. Wouldn't mind him as a backup

Comment

Budinger seems like one of those "diamonds in the rough" players Colangelo loves to pursue. And he definitely won't demand the type of salary associated with guys like Chandler or Batum.
                        And Houston is supposedly making him available.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          Outside of Gordon and Chandler, two guys i really like are Meeks (hugely underrated, fantastic shooter) and George Hill.
                          Meeks isn't overrated at all, he's just a pure shooter. His defense is horrible and pretty Jose-esque (pre-2012), i.e. he just lets people blow by him.

However, we are one of the worst 3pt shooting teams this season and I would recommend picking him to fill the role that Butler was supposed to this season. He's gonna cost the MLE at most and if we barter right we may be able to get him+cash for Amir straight up.

Comment

• Portland has started Batum at SG twice this year. In very limited minutes his production and defense, according to 82games.com, has been very impressive. His 33 point outburst came with a start at SG (unfortunately Portland lost 124-109 at home to Washington in this game and Nick Young went for 35 points on 12-17 shooting, 7-8 from deep).

What if the Raptors picked a SF in the draft, say Harrison Barnes, and overpaid to get Batum at SG (because overpaying will be the only way to get Batum out of Portland). Starting lineup next year:

PG: Calderon
                            SG: Batum
                            SF: Barnes
                            PF: Bargnani
                            C: JV

His handle and finish appears to be better than that of the current starting SG:

Here is why overpaying would not be a huge issue (not ideal, but not a hindrance):

- the most Toronto could offer is a 4 year deal - 2012 rookie and JV will be on rookie deals for those 4 years.
                            - Bargnani has 3 years left on a very reasonable contract (assuming new Bargs is for real)
                            - Calderon sheds $10.5M for 2013-14 season giving them enough room to pursue a PG at that time.

This idea would essentially mean DeRozan is not part of the future moving forward. The idea of giving up on DeRozan is still very much premature. However, if he doesn't put it together over the last 33 games of the season (return from All-Star break on) then decisions will have to be made.

Comment

• Isn't it all for not if Batum has ill feelings towards Toronto?

Comment

Isn't it all for not if Batum has ill feelings towards Toronto?
                                Thats a point but wouldnt it be ironic that while his distaste for the Raps (we are conjecturing here I think) was primarily because the medical check demand resulted in his fall in the draft (and hence less salary), he now gets it back thru possible overpayment from the very team causing the discomfort. Besides shouldnt he have grownup by now...that was prudent business by the Raps not personal.

Comment

Working...
                                X