Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBF wrote: View Post
    ya he blows and hes not too good at basketball either.
    Then Bayless would be a perfect ingredient to a tank recipe wouldn't he?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

The Raptors are in a tailspin without Andrea Bargnani, and they had pretty low expectations coming into this season anyway. As they continue to rebuild towards a younger core, it looks like they're ready to make a major step in that direction they've resisted for a good, long time. ESPN reports that the Raptors are interested in moving Jose Calderon, for the right price. From ESPN.com:

In a recent interview with the Spanish newspaper Marca, Raptors point guard Jose Calderon didnt deny that hed "like to have the opportunity to compete for something.

"That doesnt mean hes poised to ask for a trade -- "I dont think so, thats not me, thats not my personality," Calderon said -- but the 30-year-old left the undeniable sense that he wouldnt oppose a move away from the rebuilding Raps if the opportunity materializes.

You can safely assume, meanwhile, that the Raps feel the same way. Sources with knowledge of Torontos thinking say that the team is not just going to give Calderon away, especially when hes back to supplying a typically efficient 10.6 points and 8.7 assists nightly, but Im told that the Raps are indeed open to moving him.
      via Weekend Dime -- Views From The Professional Watchers - ESPN.
      Calderon is a veteran point guard who can run an offense and shoot efficiently. Even if he's not in the top half of point guards in the league, that's still a terrific skill set on the market. Establishing his price will be tricky for Bryan Colangelo. It's too bad the Knicks have already given up every asset possible in trades, because he would serve as an upgrade over Baron Davis and a major upgrade over Toney Douglas. But there will be other teams shopping for Calderon, as injuries pile up and teams start stocking up for playoff runs.

Calderon's efficiency is really key, here. He's able to hit the mid-range jumper off the pick and roll and nail perimeter shots. He can be absolutely en fuego if things are clicking for the team. He doesn't have any major injury issues and he's a solid locker room guy.

So, yeah, expect Colangelo to get quite a few calls before the deadline. If he can pick up a draft pick or a young player for Calderon, it'll be a nice win for both sides.
      Source: CBSSports.com

It is amazing on perceptions shift over time. Do you remember the backlash over the Calderon to the Bobcats trade from the mainstream US media?

For what its worth, I hope that last paragraph is correct.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Source: CBSSports.com

It is amazing on perceptions shift over time. Do you remember the backlash over the Calderon to the Bobcats trade from the mainstream US media?

For what its worth, I hope that last paragraph is correct.
        I hope so too. I like the vibes that Im hearing .. and just hope that the Raps pair back Jose's minutes so that statement about being injury free remains true. Playing Jose about 20-25 mins a game seems right to me .. start things off and bring him back in if things are going off the rails [read: Bayless has missed 8 jumpers in a row from 19 feet with 20+ secs on the shotclock].

I hope we are somewhat patient here in the hopes of getting the better deal .. I think the CBS quote is bang on that injuries will have a lot to do with it .. best to find a team that is desperate due to injury as opposed to a team looking for a competent back up as a "nice to have"...

Comment

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza, Ed Davis, 2013 1st round pick
          Milwaukee receive Brendon Jennings, Darrington Hobson, Drew Gooden

OR

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Leandro Barbosa, Linas Kleiza, Ed Davis, 2013 1st round pick + 2014 1st round pick
          Toronto receive Jonny Flynn, Luis Scola, Chase Budlinger, Terrence Williams, 2012 1st round pick

OR

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Aaron Gray
          Toronto receives Derek Fisher (waived), Derek Caracter, 2012 1st round pick

OR

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Ed Davis, Rights to Jonas Valanciunas
          Toronto receive Greg Monroe, Tayshaun Prince

Why No 1: Jennings is playing great this year, looks like an allstar-caliber player but have some locker room issues, he can be paired up with DeRozan to form a dynamic duo at the back court and with Jennings here, he may rejuvenate DeRozan stats making abilities. Drew Gooden makes the trade works in terms of salary along with a prospect in Hobson, i see him as a poor man's Eric Gordan (they look like twins who separate at birth perhaps)

Why No 2: I know it's a lot to ask for with little talent in return, the only asset in the trade is Scola plus their 2012 1st round pick (But don't know if it's worth that many players to acquire such a talent). Jonny Flynn is a bit washed up in the Western conference possibly due to his injury recovery, I say bring him over here and see if he can make a contribution. T.Williams looked great as a Net but hasn't done that well as a Rocket besides he and DeRozan are in the same draft class, he could potentially start at the SF spot. Chase Budlinger can come off the bench as a 6th man.

Why No 3: Derek Fisher is thrown in to make the trade works, the Lakers get Calderon so he can play alongside his buddy Pau Gasol and perhaps compete for a title for a championship. We get a prospect in Caracter and Lal 2012 1st round pick (20th-25th = Kabongo, Marshall, Wroten, or T.Jones, T.Zeller, K.Joseph

Why No 4: It's a pipe dream steal for the Raptors as in we get G.Monroe who we really wanted but got drafted by the Pistons in the 2010 nba draft. We also acquire Tayshaun Prince who wants out and possibly a change of scenery and with his veteran defensive presence, he will get the nudge at the starting SF spot and he seems like a Casey' type of guy. The downside, we loose a prospect in E.Davis and J.Valanciunas.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            ya he blows and hes not too good at basketball either.
            have u watched the past 2 games? He is playing great.

Comment

I would like to see Jose mentor a young PG for us, but on the flip side hes gone through the ups and downs for us, and its that kind of work resume that would allow me to root for him if he was on a contender.... like the bulls.... not the lakers.
              O D da system.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza, Ed Davis, 2013 1st round pick
                Milwaukee receive Brendon Jennings, Darrington Hobson, Drew Gooden

OR

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Leandro Barbosa, Linas Kleiza, Ed Davis, 2013 1st round pick + 2014 1st round pick
                Toronto receive Jonny Flynn, Luis Scola, Chase Budlinger, Terrence Williams, 2012 1st round pick

OR

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Aaron Gray
                Toronto receives Derek Fisher (waived), Derek Caracter, 2012 1st round pick

OR

Toronto trade Jose Calderon, Ed Davis, Rights to Jonas Valanciunas
                Toronto receive Greg Monroe, Tayshaun Prince

Why No 1: Jennings is playing great this year, looks like an allstar-caliber player but have some locker room issues, he can be paired up with DeRozan to form a dynamic duo at the back court and with Jennings here, he may rejuvenate DeRozan stats making abilities. Drew Gooden makes the trade works in terms of salary along with a prospect in Hobson, i see him as a poor man's Eric Gordan (they look like twins who separate at birth perhaps)

Why No 2: I know it's a lot to ask for with little talent in return, the only asset in the trade is Scola plus their 2012 1st round pick (But don't know if it's worth that many players to acquire such a talent). Jonny Flynn is a bit washed up in the Western conference possibly due to his injury recovery, I say bring him over here and see if he can make a contribution. T.Williams looked great as a Net but hasn't done that well as a Rocket besides he and DeRozan are in the same draft class, he could potentially start at the SF spot. Chase Budlinger can come off the bench as a 6th man.

Why No 3: Derek Fisher is thrown in to make the trade works, the Lakers get Calderon so he can play alongside his buddy Pau Gasol and perhaps compete for a title for a championship. We get a prospect in Caracter and Lal 2012 1st round pick (20th-25th = Kabongo, Marshall, Wroten, or T.Jones, T.Zeller, K.Joseph

Why No 4: It's a pipe dream steal for the Raptors as in we get G.Monroe who we really wanted but got drafted by the Pistons in the 2010 nba draft. We also acquire Tayshaun Prince who wants out and possibly a change of scenery and with his veteran defensive presence, he will get the nudge at the starting SF spot and he seems like a Casey' type of guy. The downside, we loose a prospect in E.Davis and J.Valanciunas.
                All interesting trades and well thought out. I havent checked, but on a quick glance they seem to work under the CBA. My thoughts:
                1) Not sure what this gets for Milwakee. JC (and Bosa) do them no good, because they arent making a run now - so lots of salary and no real upside. The 2013 pick is interesting .. but for them, the real really comes down to Jennings for the 2013 pick and Davis.. dont think Id do that if I were them. On the flip side, by giving up and Ed and our 2013 pick, we are sacrificing a lot for Jennings (albeit they are taking lots of relatively dead weight salary by taking JC and LK. In the end, it has some merits, but I dont think Mil bites
                2) This one is intersting for them .. and seems like the kind of deal that Morey would do (because he could look like a genious down the road if the Raps plan falters and hes sitting on TWO huge picks. This is definitely a power play for the next year or two .. and puts a lot of weight on Val / our first round pick / NY's first round pick (I assume this is the one you are talking about?). If it works. great. If it doesnt ... wow things will be ugly for a long, long time to come. Just not sure you can mortgage the future like that for TWO first rounders. Also, Scola redudent with AB, Val, AJ .. so might need to make another move to balance out the line up.
                3) This is the most realistic trade. I think this is exactly the type of deal that ends up happening. I like it for the Raps and think it makes sense for LAL too.
                4) G Monroe seems like a legit NBA big man for years to come. You do this deal if the Pistons would .. but I dont think they would.

All in all .. good trade ideas. Hopefully the raps are being creative and thinking along the same lines ..

Comment

this may be way too much something based on nothing. but, would trading calderon to milwaukee for jennings give us a solid young pg and milwaukee at least a playoff contender.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Jose has demonstrated his value numerous times over the years. He is demonstrating it again this year. His contract is done in a year. In the mean time he could be a big piece of the puzzle in terms of integrating new players into the lineup. Keep him next year when the team becomes much better and he will be happy with a smaller contract and the chance to compete for something in the last three years of his NBA career when he could probably be signed for $4 million a year, guaranteed.

I will not look at this thread again because I have said the last word that needs to be said.

Comment

i wouldnt trade the rights to bigV. i think your third trade is the best one of the bunch. bringing in scola creates the power forward paradox again however.

Comment

If Calderon can net us a good piece (or two), then we should trade him without hesitation. His age plus his contract make him expendable.

Comment

I wouldn't say he's expendable as there's no real backup and he provides quite a bit of value for the team.

That said if you can move him for a decent pick or young stud you do it.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Take the source with a grain of salt....

The Los Angeles Lakers are foundering, sitting in a tie for the seventh seed in the Western Conference after beating the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday. On Saturday, HOOPSWORLD’s Alex Kennedy broke the story that the Lakers have had multiple discussions with Gilbert Arenas, who is still trying to get his knee right before making a decision, but don’t be surprised if the Lakers surface in connection to Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon.

It’s widely known that the Raptors would like to trade Calderon, and they very nearly did before Charlotte backed out of a deal at the last minute at last year’s trade deadline. Now they’re very specifically looking for a starting small forward or a deal that gets them closer to one, and the Lakers could prove to be the team that helps the Raptors in that regard.

The Lakers got an $8.9 million trade exception from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for Lamar Odom, and that’s something the Raptors would dearly love to have. You see, the Raptors have targeted Wilson Chandler as their top choice at the three, but he is still technically Denver’s player to lose. When Chandler returns from China he will be a restricted free agent, and sources close to the situation tell HOOPSWORLD that the Raptors plan to make it very hard for the Nuggets to keep Chandler in town.

What Toronto has to do is clear enough cap space to make Chandler an offer the Nuggets will think twice before matching, which is where the Lakers’ trade exception comes in.

The Lakers are looking for point guard help, and Calderon is not only an experienced floor leader, he has also spent time playing with Lakers power forward Pau Gasol on the Spanish national team. Adding Calderon would make sense for the Lakers on a couple of levels, and he would also help new head coach Mike Brown in his quest to transition away from the triangle offense.

The reason Arenas might make more sense is that he would be a very inexpensive addition, though he is also a notch below Calderon at this point in his career.

What’s not clear is how the Lakers would land Calderon, which is their end game. He has a 10% trade kicker that makes it impossible to trade him just straight up for the trade exception, and you can’t include other players in a deal involving a trade exception. They could send the exception to Toronto for Leandro Barbosa, but the Raptors would really prefer to hang onto Barbosa. Clearly another team would have to be involved or a subsequent deal would have to be reached for the key pieces being discussed to land in the appropriate spots.

Stay tuned!
                            Source: HoopsWorld.com

Notice how there is no source given? This is 100% speculation (or arm-chair GM'ing) by the author, Bill Ingram.

I think he is hanging out in the RR trade forums getting ideas.

Comment

i just solved all the leagues problems

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7lzn6t4

toronto gets reddick, blake, barnes

orlando gets gasol, davis, barbosa

los angeles gets howard, calderon

i dont see how to offer picks in the trade machine but i would add them accordingly if i could.

Comment

It really is time to move Calderon.

Sabin C
                                Hi.Otis should call Raptors for Calderon and get him.He’d be a great fit for Magic.I don’t think that Raptors will ask much in return.Your thoughts ?

Jason Fleming
                                Why wouldn’t the Raptors ask for much for a point guard who averages 10.5 points, 8.4 assists, and only 1.8 turnovers a game? Calderon would be a nice fit on a lot of teams.
                                Source: HoopsWorld.com

This question is obviously asked by a Magic fan. So #1, other teams fans are starting to notice Calderon.

Next up, we have a HoopsWorld.com person not totally dismissing the idea or ripping Calderon, his contract, or BC a new one.

His value will never be higher than what it is now..... that or hell has frozen over. I'm not sure which.

Comment

Working...
                                X