Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i just read on prosport daily forums that bc might be looking for a trade exception to acquire chandler. i also posted a la/magic.raps trade but screw that trade. i say jose to la for their first rounder and trade exception. then right for wilson chandler sign and trade with nuggets.
    You need cap space or a current TPE to get a TPE.

LA does not have cap space and their TPE is too small to absorb Calderon's contract.

To get Calderon to LA will require a 3rd, if not a 4th, team.

Comment

so we can only acquire a tpe for 4 million?

Comment

so we can only acquire a tpe for 4 million?
        TPE aren't about how much cap space the Raptors have, it is about how much cap space or how large a TPE another team has.

Also, the Raptors wouldn't really be acquiring a TPE as they are already under the soft cap. They'd be acquiring more cap space which is one and the same really, but less restrictive because no other team is needed with straight up cap space.

Comment

ok thank you. and i assume that the tpe must cover the entire cost of the player then, and the normal trade rules on salaries don't apply? because la' is 8.9 million and i think they can't add a player to even it out as well right?

Comment

ok thank you. and i assume that the tpe must cover the entire cost of the player then, and the normal trade rules on salaries don't apply? because la' is 8.9 million and i think they can't add a player to even it out as well right?
            Correct. A TPE must be large enough to absorb a contract on its own. It cannot be combined with another contract to make the numbers work.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
              nah, starters minutes is when you play 80+ minutes on a back2back coming off a leg injury.
              Actually, I believe those are called 'Kobe Minutes'.

Comment

What makes the Calderon to LA transaction even more difficult is the "trade kicker" or bonus of 10% in his contract. He can waive this but thats a lot of dinero at his salary.

Comment

I'm a little late getting to the party but here are a few thoughts:

Both Chandler and Batum are highly talented players with the ability to perform on both ends of the court. Both would fit in well with what the Raptors are trying to build. Both are very young, Batum being a year younger. If Chandler looks to get his money right now and bypass summer free agency he's not going to have as many bidders. What that means to me is that the Raptors are more likely to get him at a fair price, instead of what a market with lots of money to burn dictates. Timing is everything. My vote is with Chandler because he will be the more economical option and the level of talent between both is very comparable.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:34 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Very good questions man, as often posters will just assume they can combine or gloss over details like rules. Impressed that you are taking the opportunity to learn and apply.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      For all those saying Batum hasn't had Starters Minutes yet: He played 31.5 minutes per game, Starting 67 games in 2010-2011.
                      Thats "Starters Minutes" if you ask me.

Not to mention he started in 76 games as a Rookie. Though his minutes weren't high, no one can say this kid hasn't been given a chance to prove whats he's got.
                      To me, it's not a question of minutes but a question of variability.

Wilson Chandler's numbers were very consistent with some small incremental progress every year. While I do not suggest he has reached his ceiling, I suspect he is close to it.

Nicolas Batum's shooting percentages are all over the place, with averages that are higher than Chandler's and high numbers which are much higher than Chandler's. His norm has yet to be established with a high degree of confidence and thus, if I was gambling, I might take a chance his norm will be close enough to his historical high numbers.

In other words, I think Wilson Chandler is the safe player while Nicolas Batum is still an enigma.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post

In other words, I think Wilson Chandler is the safe player while Nicolas Batum is still an enigma.
                        this is why you go chandler. you know what you are getting. next year we will have two "enigmas" already if not 3. bigV, first rounder/second rounder. i would think the coach would want something or someone he can rely on night in and night out to stabilize the rookies he will need to integrate into the team

Comment

this is why you go chandler. you know what you are getting. next year we will have two "enigmas" already if not 3. bigV, first rounder/second rounder. i would think the coach would want something or someone he can rely on night in and night out to stabilize the rookies he will need to integrate into the team
                          There is also only a year and 5 months between them in terms of age.

I think Chandler can be had for much less than Batum and Portland will match any reasonable offer to him.

Comment

Yeah, the Blazers are much better off matching and figuring out how to make it work via trades later. They certainly cleared some tax burden by amnestying Roy and so there is some wiggle room to be utilized there.

Comment

According to ESPN (sorry, the link is an ESPN Insider page), Batum is undergoing an MRI today, after injuring his knee. Could be a bump to Chandler's value.

Comment

They hand out MRI's like candy in this day in age. Batum said he thought he twisted it and he'll be ok but then again you never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X