Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would prefer Chandler. Only if we sign him this season because we probably could get him for a reasonable price. He's a proven player, that's versatile, and consistent. He might not be an all-star but we are not paying all-star money for him. He would be a huge upgrade over our 3's and if we draft a 3 this year (and they become elite) he can be moved to a sixth man role playing both the 2 and 3.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      this is why you go chandler. you know what you are getting. next year we will have two "enigmas" already if not 3. bigV, first rounder/second rounder. i would think the coach would want something or someone he can rely on night in and night out to stabilize the rookies he will need to integrate into the team
      Nicolas Batum is already a good player (better than Wilson Chandler on average) but his norm is yet unknown. He is an enigma in that sense.

Nicolas Batum has averaged 53.4% shooting from 2-point land and 36.9% shooting from 3-point land so far in his career but with wild swings from year to year. These numbers compare very favorably to Wilson Chandler's numbers, 49.6% (2-point) and 32.4% (3-point).

Nicolas Batum would provide the Raptors with a serious 3-point threat and create spacing for his teammates, more so than Wilson Chandler.

If the Raptors sign Wilson Chandler to a reasonable contract, I have no problem with it as he is an average starter and a significant upgrade over what we currently have. I don't view WC as an impact player but neither would I see the small forward position as one of weakness anymore.

I believe there is a high enough probability Nicolas Batum will be significantly better than Wilson Chandler to take a flyer on NB at the right price. I think the Raptors should first try to acquire WC at a reasonable price before determining what is the right price for NB. What I don't want to see if the Raptors entering a bidding war for WC services, nor for NB if WC ends up with another team.

Comment

If Batum has no interest in playing for Toronto (there are some reasons to believe this is true), then Chandler it is.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          What I don't want to see if the Raptors entering a bidding war for WC services, nor for NB if WC ends up with another team.
          I don't think that's likely given the time of year. The Nuggets, Raptors, Jazz, Pacers, Grizzlies, Pistons, and Kings are the only teams who can outright sign the guy. Most of those teams won't be bidding in my opinion. Beyond them you have teams over cap who are willing to do a S&T but I think the advantage is in the Raptors' court because they don't necessarily need to deal with the Nuggets at all to get to Chandler and beyond that Colangelo has a good relationship with their GM, they know each other well. Because of that finding a deal whether it be a regular signing or even S&T should be more straight forward.

Maybe the Raptors offer up Alabi and Kleiza? One is their GM's former pet project and the other used to be a Nugget and was well like within the organization. If they asked for James Johnson instead of Kleiza that would also work for me although I'd rather avoid that because the Nuggets don't have much leverage beyond matching an offer they don't want to necessarily match.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            If Batum has no interest in playing for Toronto (there are some reasons to believe this is true), then Chandler it is.
            I could be wrong, but I believe Toronto would have to wait until this off season to even talk to Batum and to gauge his interest in Toronto, where as with Chandler they just need to wait until he comes back from China.

I don't see Chandler still available by the end of this year. The guy went all the way to China to play just in case the season was cancelled. He likes his pay check. If an offer came around for guaranteed money I think he takes that over being a rental to a contender for a couple of months, IMO.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              I could be wrong, but I believe Toronto would have to wait until this off season to even talk to Batum
              Correct. Otherwise they're getting fined by the league for tampering.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I don't think that's likely given the time of year. The Nuggets, Raptors, Jazz, Pacers, Grizzlies, Pistons, and Kings are the only teams who can outright sign the guy. Most of those teams won't be bidding in my opinion. Beyond them you have teams over cap who are willing to do a S&T but I think the advantage is in the Raptors' court because they don't necessarily need to deal with the Nuggets at all to get to Chandler and beyond that Colangelo has a good relationship with their GM, they know each other well. Because of that finding a deal whether it be a regular signing or even S&T should be more straight forward.

Maybe the Raptors offer up Alabi and Kleiza? One is their GM's former pet project and the other used to be a Nugget and was well like within the organization. If they asked for James Johnson instead of Kleiza that would also work for me although I'd rather avoid that because the Nuggets don't have much leverage beyond matching an offer they don't want to necessarily match.
                Apollo, I am assuming you used the HoopsHype.com site for the salary numbers. They have not included figures for some extensions from last year (Z-Bo in Memphis for example) and free agent signings (Detroit for example).

The only teams that could sign him outright for a realistic contract are Sacramento, Toronto, Indiana, and Denver - and even Toronto might not be realistic as they only have $4M at this time.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

What about Alabi, Forbes, and a TPE?

I really like Kleiza and they might feel they already have a Kleiza-type player in Harrington.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Apollo, I am assuming you used the HoopsHype.com site for the salary numbers. They have not included figures for some extensions from last year (Z-Bo in Memphis for example) and free agent signings (Detroit for example).

The only teams that could sign him outright for a realistic contract are Sacramento, Toronto, Indiana, and Denver - and even Toronto might not be realistic as they only have $4M at this time.
                    Yeah, I'm not as diligent as I used to be during fact finding. Thanks for correcting that.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    What about Alabi, Forbes, and a TPE?

I really like Kleiza and they might feel they already have a Kleiza-type player in Harrington.
                    Well let me ask you this. When your forwards are Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Wilson Chandler, James Johnson and Linas Kleiza, who are the odd men out? What do you do with them? I think it's fair to say that one of Amir or Ed is out of here this summer. If the Raptors land Chandler then I think it would be fair to say one of Johnson or Kleiza are out of here maybe when the trade is made, maybe by the summer.

The Nuggets could have kept Forbes if they really wanted him but they chose to let him walk.

Comment

• Surely, this guy can be replaced.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, I'm not as diligent as I used to be during fact finding. Thanks for correcting that.

Well let me ask you this. When your forwards are Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Wilson Chandler, James Johnson and Linas Kleiza, who are the odd men out? What do you do with them? I think it's fair to say that one of Amir or Ed is out of here this summer. If the Raptors land Chandler then I think it would be fair to say one of Johnson or Kleiza are out of here maybe when the trade is made, maybe by the summer.

The Nuggets could have kept Forbes if they really wanted him but they chose to let him walk.
                        I definitely think one of Amir or Ed are gone but Chandler can spend some time at the 2 guard. I think the acquisition of Chandler could possibly set the stage for DeMar's exit over the summer.

I think it is easier to look at a 9 man rotation with a 10th who usually only gets PT in case of injury or foul trouble.

PG: to be determined
                        SG: DeMar
                        SF: Chandler
                        PF: Bargnani
                        C: JV

back up guard (PG/SG): tbd
                        back up SG/SF: JJ or Kleiza
                        back up SF/PF: JJ or Kleiza based on match up
                        back up PF/C: ED/Amir

10th: based on need

Surprisingly the above is much harder than I thought it would be when trying to keep everyone except one of Amir or ED. I like the idea of packaging one of Amir/ED, DeMar, and something centered around this draft and a future draft draft pick to land someone really 'happy' in a 'grizzly' situation which would leave Chandler to start at the 2.... but that is a dead horse that has been pummelled

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I definitely think one of Amir or Ed are gone but Chandler can spend some time at the 2 guard. I think the acquisition of Chandler could possibly set the stage for DeMar's exit over the summer.

I think it is easier to look at a 9 man rotation with a 10th who usually only gets PT in case of injury or foul trouble.

PG: to be determined
                          SG: DeMar
                          SF: Chandler
                          PF: Bargnani
                          C: JV

back up guard (PG/SG): tbd
                          back up SG/SF: JJ or Kleiza
                          back up SF/PF: JJ or Kleiza based on match up
                          back up PF/C: ED/Amir

10th: based on need

Surprisingly the above is much harder than I thought it would be when trying to keep everyone except one of Amir or ED. I like the idea of packaging one of Amir/ED, DeMar, and something centered around this draft and a future draft draft pick to land someone really 'happy' in a 'grizzly' situation which would leave Chandler to start at the 2.... but that is a dead horse that has been pummelled
                          I think your post does a good job illustrating just how crazy this season has been; in the summer a large % of people felt that Bargnani would be one of the first players dealt, but now Bargnani and Valanciunas seem like the only 100% sure things to be on next season's roster! How crazy a turnaround!

- roughly a third of the roster is on expiring contracts and likely won't re-sign (Magloire, Carter, Butler, Gray, Alabi)
                          - roughly a third of the roster has been or would seem to have a high potential to be rumored in deals (Barbosa, Calderon, Bayless, Amir, Davis, DeRozan)
                          - roughly a third of the roster likely isn't going anywhere, for one reason or another, unless to balance trades (Kleiza, J.Johnson, Forbes)
                          - only a couple players seem 100% destined to be here next season (Bargnani, Valanciunas)

Regardless what you personally hope for, I'm sure it's widely agreed upon that the next 2 months leading up to the trade deadline and then the offseason, should be quite exciting for Raptors fans to watch! Perhaps moreso than the team on the court!

For all the talk about "rebuilding" and "building", next year's Raptors team could be vastly different than the team currently assembled!
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jan 31, 2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• we should try to deal bosa for a pick and sign chandler.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              we should try to deal bosa for a pick and sign chandler.
                              As a few people have mentioned previously, I think if Chandler is signed, either J.Johnson or Kleiza immediately becomes expendable - even after Barbosa is traded. Much like the glut of PF, I don't think there would be enough minutes for DeRozan/Chandler/Johnson/Kleiza - even less if a wing is still a target with the 2012 lottery pick!

SF: Chandler (SG), Johnson (PF), Kleiza (PF)
                              SG: DeRozan (SF), Forbes

Comment

• thats true. But it would be hard to move kleiza and JJ IMO is a keeper. So we're kinda screwed, i'd move kleiza before JJ though. Chandler brings more to the table then Kleiza and JJ would be a nice Defensive serge off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X