Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    this makes me a sad panda
    This makes me a happy panda because now, we have a chance to sign Batum!!!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• haha

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Looks very unlikely WC comes to Toronto this year..... unless Denver renounces his rights (i.e. lets an asset leave for nothing.... I don't think so):

Source: Larry Coon, HoopsWorld.com

My last question would be:

If WC returns after March 1st and sign a contract for the rest of this season only with Denver, is he still restricted come the summer?
        Thanks for the link. As for your question as far as I can tell he (and Brooks et al in similar situations) would then become UFA. In that regard I would expect they do not sign with their old teams (not like Phoenix is in a tough playoff hunt) since the risk would be a rental only and losing control/rights into the off-season.

I would also add a question in that: can they be signed to multi-year deals since that deadline has passed? There could be the danger that the teams lock the player in for a few years.

Comment

Looks very unlikely WC comes to Toronto this year..... unless Denver renounces his rights (i.e. lets an asset leave for nothing.... I don't think so):

If WC returns after March 1st and sign a contract for the rest of this season only with Denver, is he still restricted come the summer?
          Thanks for posting that. I learned a thing or two. Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards the idea that the Nuggets won't let him go anyway. Chandler is so versatile that he'll find good minutes in Denver regardless of the competition.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Thanks for posting that. I learned a thing or two. Honestly, I'm starting to lean towards the idea that the Nuggets won't let him go anyway. Chandler is so versatile that he'll find good minutes in Denver regardless of the competition.
            It all could depend on the dollar amount though. Without Chandler next season they have $55M tied up in salary with no backup PG or real depth on the wing (and of course, don't forget they have $18M tied up in Gallo and Affalo). Then next summer ('13) Ty Lawson is coming off his rookie deal which will be another big contract. Chandler might also make it very clear he is not interested in coming off the bench as he might behind Afflalo and Gallinari.

The bottom line: if Chandler does sign with Toronto, don't expect it prior to this summer.

Comment

The final answer on all things Wilson Chandler related from Larry Coon:

SS
              If Chandler and/or Brooks leave China after March 1, and sign back with their respective teams (Denver/Phoenix) for the rest of the year, are they still restricted free agents in the summer, or do they become UFA’s?

Larry Coon
              If they re-sign they will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the year. If they don’t re-sign, then both teams can make qualifying offers, and they’d remain restricted. In other words, you can’t get out of restricted free agency by playing overseas for a year.
              Source: Larry Coon, HoopsWOrld.com chat

So if he comes back after March 1st:

the only team he can play for is Denver

BUT

if he signs with Denver for just the remainder of this season, he is unrestricted come July 1st.

So his only option to play in the NBA this season is Denver and if he refuses to sign a contract for anything longer than the remainder of '11-12 season, the Nuggets could wait until this summer and match any offer he receives to keep him from leaving.

Comment

• Chandler wants to remain a Nugget

Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri acknowledged the team’s interest in re-signing Chandler. The Nuggets have the right to match any offer Chandler receives from another NBA team.

“Wilson likes their direction and the stabilization of their roster in Denver with the young talent,” Luchey said in a phone interview from China. “He wants to see how they develop as a team. It’s a unique situation. The ball is in their court. If Wilson is comfortable, he will be a part of their core group.”

Ujiri plans on visiting Chandler in China during Zhejiang Guangsha’s regular-season finale on Feb. 15 or in the postseason. Zhejiang Guangsha is expected to make the playoffs. Chandler is free to sign with the Nuggets once the team’s season ends.
                “Our goal is to re-sign Wilson Chandler,” Ujiri said. “We like everything about him. Wilson was one of the key players we got in the trade with New York and he’s a phenomenal player, shooter and defender.”
                Source: Yahoo Sports

Comment

• noooo Chandler!

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Likely, but one part of me wonders if this is a ploy by Ujiri to force the hand of any GM who might be interested in signing Chandler now, assuming he is signable. Seeing how shrewdly he handled the Melo-drama trade last year, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a smokescreen.

Comment

• Considering that he's the only one who can sign Chandler to a long term deal right now when Chandler arrives back in America I would say you'll have your answer then on whether or not Ujiri is serious about keeping him. No doubt if he doesn't want to keep him this would be a good play to protect the asset. I believe him though when he says he wants Chandler back. I don't see him getting equal value back for Chandler in a S&T and based on all proposed trades you'll find around here 99% of the fans on this board should agree with that statement.

Comment

• Nugs have been rocked by injuries lately too, resigning him is pretty crucial at this point.

Too bad for us.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Could Chandler still be in the running?

One source close to the situation, meanwhile, says restricted free-agent swingman Wilson Chandler is giving legit consideration to negotiating a mere one-year, rest-of-the-season contract when he returns from China to the Nuggets in March. The idea there is that Chandler, with perhaps only a couple of months left in the Nuggets' season at that point, might prefer to play out that short span on an expiring deal because he could then become an unrestricted free agent in July.
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ms-d12-orlando

I don't see Denver going through with a one year contract though. But if he did become a UFA, Toronto would have the cap space to make a serious offer.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't see Denver going through with a one year contract though. But if he did become a UFA, Toronto would have the cap space to make a serious offer.
                            I think this is in the best interest of Chandler and possibly Denver. They are going to have some holes in their roster if they resign him and they will be over the salary cap. Plus next summer they will be looking at a Lawson extension.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I have to question why Denver would ever agree to a 1-year deal with Chandler. Regardless what his future with the club is, they would be much better served not signing him and forcing him to remain a RFA into the offseason. They could then sign him or do a S&T, to at least get something back for him, which they wouldn't get if he leaves after this season as an UFA.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I have to question why Denver would ever agree to a 1-year deal with Chandler. Regardless what his future with the club is, they would be much better served not signing him and forcing him to remain a RFA into the offseason. They could then sign him or do a S&T, to at least get something back for him, which they wouldn't get if he leaves after this season as an UFA.
                                They might not want him long term due to financial reasons - especially with the new CBA coming.

They could still do a sign and trade with teams. The financial incentive is gone but he would at least have options of going to a team over the salary cap and getting more than MLE while Denver can get something in return.

Comment

Working...
                                X