Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    S&T with Denver: Alabi for Chandler @ $6M per season x 4 seasons.

BC gets a more proven SF for good value. He could still draft a SF (ie: Barnes or MKG) to come off the bench for a season or two.

Uriji gets something (Alabi was his personal project that he pushed BC to trade for after the draft) for Chandler, who he has no legit reason to re-sign now that Gallinari is signed long-term.

I'd be a happy boy.
    Well, that's a bargain allright. But it would be a fireable offense for Ujiri.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      S&T with Denver: Alabi for Chandler @ $6M per season x 4 seasons.

BC gets a more proven SF for good value. He could still draft a SF (ie: Barnes or MKG) to come off the bench for a season or two.

Uriji gets something (Alabi was his personal project that he pushed BC to trade for after the draft) for Chandler, who he has no legit reason to re-sign now that Gallinari is signed long-term.

I'd be a happy boy.
      I think that if they will want a bit more, even if its just a sign and trade

Comment

• If the raps could get Chandler for 6 million per season... That would be a coup.

Comment

• I'm sure the Nugget would rather hold on to him at $6M/yr than deal him for a player who might be out of the league in a few years.

Good teammate + healthy + productive + 24 years old = Higher salary than current production would indicate

Comment

• I'd rather get Wilson Phillips than Wilson Chandler

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              I'd rather get Wilson Phillips than Wilson Chandler

Can I have the one in the middle? Please and thank you.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                I'm sure the Nugget would rather hold on to him at $6M/yr than deal him for a player who might be out of the league in a few years.

Good teammate + healthy + productive + 24 years old = Higher salary than current production would indicate

As we were discussing in another forum on free agency in 2012, found here here are some of the contracts given out to starting small forwards in the league (actually some are not even starters).

Wilson Chandler will command and get much more than $6M. I think a starting salary of $8M plus/minus 500K will be a starting point. If I was Toronto I would look to get a front loaded contract with a signing bonus if at all possible (i.e. if they shed Calderon and/or Barbosa).

However, here is some reality of contracts of SF's around the league or recent contracts signed (approximate per season):

Marvin Williams $7.5M
                Travis Outlaw $7M
                Thad Young $8.5M
                Arron Afflalo $7.5M
                Danillo Gallinari $10M
                Shawn Marion $8M
                Tayshaun Prince $7M
                Caron Butler $8M
                Trevor Ariza $7M
                Turkeyglue $10M
                Grant Hill $6.5M
                John Salmons $8M
                Richard Jefferson $9.5M

Comment

• Larry Coon had a chat today, and there were a couple of Wilson Chandler questions. Found the answers to be quite interesting:

mike

When the question about W.Chandler being signed by the Raps came up in the EPincus chat, he indicated that its not possible for Toronto to sign him this year as you may have more details as to why. Could you clarify why/or why not the Raps will be able to make an offer to W.Chandler… Thanks

Larry Coon

Players can’t sign offer sheets after March 1. Will Chandler be free and have a Letter of Clearance by then?

chris

Is there a way Chicago could get Wilson chandler in a s&t from Denver when he’s done in china?

Larry Coon

No. Sign-and-trade deals are no longer allowed once the season starts.
                  http://www.hoopsworld.com/salary-cap...arry-coon-2112

So there is a very good chance that Toronto may have to wait until the off season to get their hands on Chandler. Assuming Chandler is free from China before March 1, there is a possibility, but it can't be through a sign and trade.

If Chandler is back after March 1, I see Denver holding on to him until the season is over. At that point we could consider a sign and trade. If Denver releases him, I imagine he'd be a UFA. Would he sign with Toronto for a back loaded deal? Would probably take a bit of convincing considering he may just go play for a contender and then look for better options in the off season.

Based on this, I'm liking our chances with Batum more.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Larry Coon had a chat today, and there were a couple of Wilson Chandler questions. Found the answers to be quite interesting:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/salary-cap...arry-coon-2112

So there is a very good chance that Toronto may have to wait until the off season to get their hands on Chandler. Assuming Chandler is free from China before March 1, there is a possibility, but it can't be through a sign and trade.

If Chandler is back after March 1, I see Denver holding on to him until the season is over. At that point we could consider a sign and trade. If Denver releases him, I imagine he'd be a UFA. Would he sign with Toronto for a back loaded deal? Would probably take a bit of convincing considering he may just go play for a contender and then look for better options in the off season.

Based on this, I'm liking our chances with Batum more.
                    Thanks for posting that. It is always nice to learn something new. This is another example of how much it pisses me off that guys who write about this stuff for a living (Pincus and a lot of the other HW.com staff, Dough Smith, ESPN crew, etc.) don't know the difference or the in's and out's of the CBA.

I think he ends up signing the qualifying offer from Denver and becomes unrestricted in the summer unless his team is knocked out of the playoffs early - fingers crossed.

*EDIT* reading Coon's chat I see players cannot accept qualifying offers anymore - scrap yet another idea.
                    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Feb 1, 2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• I'm really tired and having trouble thinking. Can anyone add insight.

What exactly are Chandler's options?

He can't sign qualifying offer after March 1.
                      He can't do sign and trade during season with anyone.

If he plays out the season in Denver does he become an UFA?
                      Can he sign with anyone he chooses?
                      What about restricted free agency - does Denver still have the right to match any offer?

I'm a little confused.

Comment

• It is a bit confusing, but my take on it is this:

If he can get here before March 1, he is still a restricted free agent, and Denver can still offer him a qualifying offer. Any team can offer him a contract but Denver has the right to match. However he cannot participate in a sign and trade since the season is already under way.

If he gets here after March 1, he would become a UFA since Denver no longer has the ability to offer him a qualifying offer. He can sign anywhere and for whatever terms he wants.

Again, this is my take on what I've read, and could be wrong.

*EDIT* I think I'm the one that confused things up in my last post. I made an assumption that Toronto could do a sign and trade in the off season if he got here after March 1, but I think he'd be a UFA by then. Best chance of Toronto getting Chandler would be if we freed up cap space prior to him getting here, and that he gets here before March 1st, so that we can offer a good contract that Denver would not match. Once he becomes a UFA, I think it creates a larger market for him, and his price would go up - at that point I'd consider going after Batum instead.
                        Last edited by planetmars; Wed Feb 1, 2012, 06:13 PM. Reason: more to say

Comment

It's hard to say what his value is going to be. Kwame Brown signed for $7M, and he is/was Kwame Brown.
                          Kwane Brown was worth $7M for ONE year because the Warriors had the cap space this year and were not able to sign a better option to a multi-year contract. The Warriors signed the best available option at the time at an inflated rate because they absolutely needed a center if they were to compete for a playoff spot this year.

If you have one spot available and that much cap space left, offering a contract which maximizes your chance of signing the best player available for one year makes a whole lot of sense to me. You can always try again to find a better long-term solution in the next off-season.

Using such a special situation one-year contract to "establish" the value of another player you intend to sign for multiple years is just plain silly in my opinion.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            However, here is some reality of contracts of SF's around the league or recent contracts signed (approximate per season):

Marvin Williams $7.5M
                            Travis Outlaw $7M
                            Thad Young $8.5M
                            Arron Afflalo $7.5M
                            Danillo Gallinari $10M
                            Shawn Marion $8M
                            Tayshaun Prince $7M
                            Caron Butler $8M
                            Trevor Ariza $7M
                            Turkeyglue $10M
                            Grant Hill $6.5M
                            John Salmons $8M
                            Richard Jefferson $9.5M .
                            Yuck. If that's the market price for middle of the road (and worse) SFs, then I'd be more inclined to accumulate more draft picks or do a draft day deal for a stud SF prospect.

Denver had the top team offensive rating in the NBA last year, yet Chandler's ORTG and overall numbers dropped noticeably (OR: 109-->96). Playing time was not the main issue since he played over 30MPG. That's a bit concerning.

Comment

It is a bit confusing, but my take on it is this:

If he can get here before March 1, he is still a restricted free agent, and Denver can still offer him a qualifying offer. Any team can offer him a contract but Denver has the right to match. However he cannot participate in a sign and trade since the season is already under way.

If he gets here after March 1, he would become a UFA since Denver no longer has the ability to offer him a qualifying offer. He can sign anywhere and for whatever terms he wants.

Again, this is my take on what I've read, and could be wrong.

*EDIT* I think I'm the one that confused things up in my last post. I made an assumption that Toronto could do a sign and trade in the off season if he got here after March 1, but I think he'd be a UFA by then. Best chance of Toronto getting Chandler would be if we freed up cap space prior to him getting here, and that he gets here before March 1st, so that we can offer a good contract that Denver would not match. Once he becomes a UFA, I think it creates a larger market for him, and his price would go up - at that point I'd consider going after Batum instead.
                              If the bolded section is in fact true, then Toronto would be a front runner to sign him after March 1st but before the off season. The only competition would be from Sacramento, Indiana, and possibly Denver (do they still have Bird Rights?) unless he wants to take a minimum contract from another team. However that would be a $25M gamble should he injury himself in the season or playoffs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Yuck. If that's the market price for middle of the road (and worse) SFs, then I'd be more inclined to accumulate more draft picks or do a draft day deal for a stud SF prospect.

Denver had the top team offensive rating in the NBA last year, yet Chandler's ORTG and overall numbers dropped noticeably (OR: 109-->96). Playing time was not the main issue since he played over 30MPG. That's a bit concerning.
                                I would be very happy or, what some may label as Gay, if that happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X