Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chandler's Zhejiang Lions team starts a five-game playoff series next Thursday, but sources told ESPN.com that Chandler received the blessing of Lions management to come back to the NBA as soon as he helped the team clinch a playoff spot.

Chandler, though, needs the Chinese Basketball Association to issue his FIBA letter of clearance before he can resume his NBA career. And it is not yet known whether Chinese authorities are prepared to grant Chandler that clearance or insist that he has to wait until the Lions' season is over -- as per the terms all NBA players who signed in China during the lockout had to accept -- before signing with his next team.
    What is clear is that Lions officials are prepared to let Chandler come home. Sources told ESPN.com that Zhejiang management essentially promised a drifting Chandler that he'd be granted permission to skip the playoffs as long as he made sure the team didn't miss them. In the Lions' regular-season finale against the Beijing Ducks, Chandler responded with 41 points and 18 rebounds -- 25 of those points coming in the first quarter -- in a 114-94 rout.

"We prefer to let [Chandler] make the decision," Lions general manager Ye Xiangyu was quoted as telling members of the Zhejiang media on Wednesday night after the big win. "If he wants to continue with his duties here, we'll be happy. But if he wants to leave, we will release him, as he might play with a bad mood in the playoff if we keep him compulsively."

According to the China Daily, Ye added: "We understand his feeling right now and we know we couldn't keep his mind even if we retained him."
    Source: ESPN.com

If he gets that letter of clearance before March 1st, Denver is no longer his only option.

Comment

• Interesting. I think they match all offers and worry about it not working later if that becomes a reality.

Comment

• I completely disagree (and will probably eat my words later). If he clears before March 1st someone will throw a front loaded contract at him making it next to impossible for the Nuggets to match.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          I completely disagree (and will probably eat my words later). If he clears before March 1st someone will throw a front loaded contract at him making it next to impossible for the Nuggets to match.
          The issue isn't about 2011-12 though. The problem is next summer when they go to resign Lawson.

I'm really unsure what will happen and could see it go either way.

Comment

• and really what role does he play with the Nuggets? Gallinari is the starting 3 - Nene is the starting 4 Affalo is the starting 2... and Brewer/Miller/Fernandez and Harrington all in backup roles. It doesn't make sense to sign him unless they plan to trade him or one of their other wings when he gets there
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Guys, the Nuggets will pay some tax if it means they're more likely to contend. They have good ownership.

thead wrote: View Post
              and really what role does he play with the Nuggets? Gallinari is the starting 3 - Nene is the starting 4 Affalo is the starting 2... and Brewer/Miller/Fernandez and Harrington all in backup roles. It doesn't make sense to sign him unless they plan to trade him or one of their other wings when he gets there
              Fernandez will probably go back to Spain if he keeps to his word. Brewer has done nothing in his career that makes him a must start option on any team. Chandler has the skills to play some 2. The Nuggets could also roll with Nene at the 5 and Gallinari & Chandler at the forward spots. The key thing here, I think, is not asking how they make it work but asking why we around here think they're going to let a great asset go like that for some minimal S&T crap in return? Especially when he himself is saying he wants to stay a Nugget. They have a smart manager who was mentored for a short time by the Raptors' GM, a man who doesn't blink an eye at stacking talent as opposed to just trying to build a balanced team at all positions. The Nuggets have been in the business of collecting assets since the Melo trade. The more I think about it the more I see that continuing. Like I said, I think the logical outcome here is they sign him and worry about making it work then. Better to have a log jam of talent than less talent and not have to worry about minute distribution. Having so much talent that you're struggling to keep them happy is a luxury, not a curse.

Comment

• BC will be trying to get him for sure. Question is will he succeed?

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                  I completely disagree (and will probably eat my words later). If he clears before March 1st someone will throw a front loaded contract at him making it next to impossible for the Nuggets to match.
                  we have 4 million cap space to send for a half season front loaded i think. dont know if its enough though.

Comment

• Ken Berger:
                    Wilson Chandler expected to attend Nuggets game tonight as his agent continues negotiations on a multi-year deal, sources say.
                    Twitter
                    I was thinking/hoping an offer could be made before March 1st. If this failed, then he would sign for the rest of the year and be UFA this summer. Now it looks like neither are going to happen.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I was thinking/hoping an offer could be made before March 1st. If this failed, then he would sign for the rest of the year and be UFA this summer. Now it looks like neither are going to happen.
                      Keep hope alive man. Just because they are negotiating a multi-year deal doesn't mean they agree on the amount. It will depend upon what Denver is willing to cough up, and what Chandler is willing to accept $-wise. Yes he wants multi-year and of course he would be first choice Denver, but if they low-ball due to the other contracts they have signed moving ahead to the new tax system, then he may not sign. He did say last week that he may just sign for the remainder of the year and test FA this summer if a multi-year cannot be worked out.
                      One source close to the situation, meanwhile, says restricted free-agent swingman Wilson Chandler is giving legit consideration to negotiating a mere one-year, rest-of-the-season contract when he returns from China to the Nuggets in March. The idea there is that Chandler, with perhaps only a couple of months left in the Nuggets' season at that point, might prefer to play out that short span on an expiring deal because he could then become an unrestricted free agent in July
                      SOURCE

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                        Keep hope alive man. Just because they are negotiating a multi-year deal doesn't mean they agree on the amount. It will depend upon what Denver is willing to cough up, and what Chandler is willing to accept $-wise. Yes he wants multi-year and of course he would be first choice Denver, but if they low-ball due to the other contracts they have signed moving ahead to the new tax system, then he may not sign. He did say last week that he may just sign for the remainder of the year and test FA this summer if a multi-year cannot be worked out.

SOURCE
                        'Keep hope alive' reminded me of Bon Jovi 'Keep the Faith' and that made me wonder how long until Matt and Jack break that out... but I digress.

I'll keep the faith and your points are all valid but if he is attending games it does not look promising. That daily dime is also 11 days old now. We've seen a lot of things change in 11 hours let alone 11 days, haha.

Comment

• This still doesn't rule out a s&t. I still belive!
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            This still doesn't rule out a s&t. I still belive!
                            IF before March 1st

Comment

• Chandler was spotted in Toronto today
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Could be nothing. Could be something.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X