Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crap - that's right. Since we cannot amnesty anyone now, and unless we do a trade to give us some cap space, we can only offer him $4M for this year.

Perhaps we can back load that contract. $4M for the first year, $7M for the second year, $8M for the third year, and then $9M for the fourth year. In the end its still $28M for 4 years, but padded in the back so we can sign him this year. I doubt Denver would match that.

Comment

• I love how 'Hipster' has replaced 'Thug' in the NBA. Haha

He's a stylish Cat! I'm diggin that sweater. Not to mention the GQ pose.

He'll probably end up just doing what JR Smith did and sign til the end of the season.

I envision that he will likely sign where he can boost his value the most for the summer.
      So let's get him signed up!

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Crap - that's right. Since we cannot amnesty anyone now, and unless we do a trade to give us some cap space, we can only offer him $4M for this year.

Perhaps we can back load that contract. $4M for the first year, $7M for the second year, $8M for the third year, and then $9M for the fourth year. In the end its still $28M for 4 years, but padded in the back so we can sign him this year. I doubt Denver would match that.
        Nope. The max for raises is 4.5% for non-Bird players. (It might be 5.5% I can't remember).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Nope. The max for raises is 4.5% for non-Bird players. (It might be 5.5% I can't remember).
          Damn.

Okay, Bryan has to do this trade then (my wet dream trade):
          http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7q7zg7b

With Toronto getting LAL's pick (aka Kabongo), and Phoenix getting Toronto's 2013 pick (with protection).

That should give us about $7M in cap space to give Chandler a decent starting salary.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Buzz kill alert:

You can only use the amnesty on a player who was on your roster prior to July 1st, 2011.
            Matt you are really killing me with all your good points and facts today...KNOCKITOFF
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• So, Wilson Chandler’s in town. At first it seemed it was just for pleasure, since his agent had said earlier this week that he definitely would be rejoining the Denver Nuggets for the rest of the season.

But things change and it appears the restricted free agent is using the Raptors – who have long coveted him – for leverage. Denver has a lot of money tied up long-term already and with Arron Afflalo and Danilo Gallinari the starters, might not want to make Chandler one of the highest-paid reserves in the league.

In Toronto, he’d fit a need, a two-way small forward who can also play shooting guard. It’s still not clear who the real Chandler is – the guy who lit it up as a Knick, or the solid, but unspectacular guy who played for the Nuggets following the Carmelo Anthony trade? Either way, the Raptors like him and will make a play for him.

Right now they can’t do a sign-and-trade (under the rules of the CBA) and (EDIT) they can only offer him a contract starting at $2.5 million U.S. (what they have remaining of their mid-level exception, since they used the other half on Aaron Gray). That won’t get it done. I don’t see a way to make something happen right now since Chandler won’t sign for so little and a sign-and-trade can’t happen. Which leads me back to Chandler using the Raptors for leverage. He is chatting them up now, letting them know they will be in the hunt this summer in the hope that Denver will offer him a multi-year deal now rather than lose him for nothing.

Or so it seems to me. Given the way the CBA is holding Chandler to Toronto back, this whole thing seems quite curious.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/courtside/gene...-for-leverage/
              Bad news Raps fans.

It would appear the only thing Toronto can offer WC is $2.5M. See above for reason why. $2.5M is not going to do it. It looks like Toronto's actual Salary Cap number is $55M. I always thought Gray was signed for veteran's minimum but it appears he signed for $2.5M - HoopsWOrld.com and ESPN.com say he is paid $2.5M for 1 year while HoopsWOrld.com says veteran minimum.

Sign and trades are not allowed.

The only thing I can see happening, besides Toronto being treated like the guy sucking face with the hot chick while she watches her ex-boyfriend stare the entire time, is

1) if Toronto and Denver made a trade freeing up cap space for Toronto to make an offer they do not match

OR

2) Toronto sheds salary quick and makes an offer they hope Denver does not match.

Comment

• So, we can't sign and trade, but can we have a wink-wink-nudge-nudge trade where Denver helps us clear some cap room so that we can sign Chandler? Something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=8yncujv

In this trade, Bayless' salary goes into their Felton exception. Toronto clears about 5 million in cap space right now, more than enough to put in a solid offer for Chandler when combined with the 4 million in space we have now. Denver moves the Andersen contract, and gets a couple expirings that might prove helpful for a playoff push right now. Of course, I'd only do that with an agreement in principle from Chandler that he's going to sign with us for a multi-year deal.

Comment

• If anyone can figure out how to make a trade work its Colangelo....SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Amnesty is still available, no? I mean, it's always been assumed that a team would only amnesty a player to shed bad contract, but what if it provides *just enough* cap space to sign someone?

In this case, you could amnesty Jerryd Bayless and offer Chandler (MLE) 2.5 + (Bayless') 3 = 5.5M?

Am I missing something?
                    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                      Amnesty is still available, no? I mean, it's always been assumed that a team would only amnesty a player to shed bad contract, but what if it provides *just enough* cap space to sign someone?

In this case, you could amnesty Jerryd Bayless and offer Chandler (MLE) 2.5 + (Bayless') 3 = 5.5M?

Am I missing something?
                      Indeed you are. Amnesty can only be used during the offseason, not mid-season.

Comment

• I don't buy that we can only offer him 2.5. We have 4 mil in cap room according to most sources. We shouldn't have had to use any of the mid-level because we are below the cap.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                          I don't buy that we can only offer him 2.5. We have 4 mil in cap room according to most sources. We shouldn't have had to use any of the mid-level because we are below the cap.
                          WE have $4M in cap room if Gray signed for minimum. ESPN and HoopsWorld.com have Gray at $2.5M, HoopsHype.com has him at $915k.

If that is true then the most Toronto can offer is $3M as the Raptors payroll would be nearly an exact $55M.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                            So, we can't sign and trade, but can we have a wink-wink-nudge-nudge trade where Denver helps us clear some cap room so that we can sign Chandler? Something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=8yncujv

In this trade, Bayless' salary goes into their Felton exception. Toronto clears about 5 million in cap space right now, more than enough to put in a solid offer for Chandler when combined with the 4 million in space we have now. Denver moves the Andersen contract, and gets a couple expirings that might prove helpful for a playoff push right now. Of course, I'd only do that with an agreement in principle from Chandler that he's going to sign with us for a multi-year deal.
                            I like your thinking as I've been playing with the trade machine under similar pretences.

Denver is not going to help Toronto out to be friendly, they need something out of it. Denver has a shortage at PF and an over abundance at C. Maybe they do this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7hboghw

Toronto: Miller
                            Denver: Calderon, Davis

OR

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6oq5fjt

Toronto: Miller, Andersen
                            Denver: Calderon, Amir, Alabi

OR

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6oasaom

Toronto: Anderson, Hamilton
                            Denver: Barbosa, Davis

OR

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6rsf6gq

Toronto: Anderson, Hamilton
                            Denver: Barbosa, Amir

Toronto also has future picks or the 2012 2nd round pick to offer in any trade - not just the above.

Comment

• Nice, it's great to see that there are a lot of different options. If both teams and Chandler really want to make a sign-and-trade type arrangement work, they should be able to get something done.

Comment

• Then the Raptors would still have the full mid level then. They haven't used it if they haven't spent up to the cap. So 5 million then.
                                Last edited by saints91; Wed Feb 22, 2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X