Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berger: Recent coach changes may foreshadow ouster of some GMs (4. Colangelo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berger: Recent coach changes may foreshadow ouster of some GMs (4. Colangelo)

4. Raptors: Despite the apparent stability in Toronto, speculation persists among rival front office sources that team president Bryan Colangelo remains uncertain of his future with the team. As with the Petrie situation, I'm dubious. The imminent removal of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan component of the ownership group bodes well for Colangelo, who was not held in high regard by key members of that group. The remaining power broker, chairman of the board Larry Tanenbaum, has long been a Colangelo supporter. My read on Colangelo's situation is that he's comfortable with ownership's perception of the plan to shift to a defensive mindset under coach Dwane Casey and that he assuaged any concerns by welcoming former Sixers and Nets executive Ed Stefanski into the front office. I don't see any major upheaval on the horizon.
    Source: Ken Berger, CBSSports.com

I call article filler. Must have been 200 words short on the word count.

Dwane Casey was BC's pick.

Bargnani is responding to a coach positively for the first time in Toronto with phenomenal results.

OTP is leaving the ownership group (thank god).

The Raptors continue to be one of the more profitable franchises in the league.

A plan was put in motion that has only begun - thus far it is right on track.

Now, if JV is a flop next year, the Raptors are showing no improvement, and exciting moves are not made in the next 5 months...... then he might be worthy of #1 on the list of 5.

Umm, this is confusing. Seems like things are in the right direction in TO, yet he's still #4? Weird.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      Umm, this is confusing. Seems like things are in the right direction in TO, yet he's still #4? Weird.
      This is what I was going to say.
      Why even include Toronto on the list? If in the end, he basically says that Toronto is good to go.

Ridiculous.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        This is what I was going to say.
        Why even include Toronto on the list? If in the end, he basically says that Toronto is good to go.

Ridiculous.
        As the article said, "Despite the apparent stability in Toronto, speculation persists among rival front office sources that team president Bryan Colangelo remains uncertain of his future with the team." The writer is not saying that that is the case, he is reporting that others are speculating. I think Matt hit it on thew head though, article filler.

Comment

Colangelo's track record in 5+ years is not too good. The franchise has been wallowing in the murky sludge at the bottom of the NBA standings for two seasons and counting. The Raptors have not turned the corner yet. With JV arriving, the lottery pick this June, and potential free agent signings for next season, I believe it will be clear by Spring 2013 whether BC gets another extension or says good bye to his position with the Raptors.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
            Colangelo's track record in 5+ years is not too good. The franchise has been wallowing in the murky sludge at the bottom of the NBA standings for two seasons and counting. The Raptors have not turned the corner yet. With JV arriving, the lottery pick this June, and potential free agent signings for next season, I believe it will be clear by Spring 2013 whether BC gets another extension or says good bye to his position with the Raptors.
            Exactly. It will be another year before one can make any definitive guesses as to his future in Toronto.

The idea that he will be gone because his 'plan' is not showing any fruits of his labour is a hypothetical easily answered by, "But what if it does?"

Comment

The sale of our team is reason enough to include BC on this list. It's like being the coach of a team that just hired a new GM. Your job future is suddenly uncertain because your new boss's might have never hired you in the first place.

Comment

I do like the direction the team is taking. Hopefully they will get rid of some of the dead load on that team that is taking up space. I do remember hearing BC saying that Alabi was a steal at the 50 spot and that he will surprise a lot of people. If they are not playing him and giving him time to get use to the NBA, why keep him on the team? Any idea why he is still here and not playing? Even when we're getting blown out the building?

Comment

Working...
                X