Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would do Barbosa for Jeremy Lin right now. This kid is something special

Comment

I would be happy getting a late 1st round draft pick for Barbosa, while also not taking on any salary beyond this season (ie: expiring contracts only).

I expect the issue that BC is having finding a suitable trade partner for Barbosa is finding a team with cap-space, TPE or a player(s) with a large enough salary to balance the deal, that is also an expiring contract.

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio was potentially interested, but the only asset they have to make the trade work is Jefferson, but there's no way that BC would ever take him back in a trade - doing so wouldn't be worth the 1st round pick SA could offer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers were interested, but I don't think they want to use their TPE until they have addressed their PG situation.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I've been wondering about the TPE, compared to standard trades. I am hoping you or somebody else can help clarify.

When trading Calderon for a player(s) you have to apply his 10% trade-kicker, then the formula for figuring out how much salary needs to come back as a minimum is essentially: [(salary + 10%) - 100,000]/1.25. The reason for this is that the team trading for him can take a max salary back of what they send out + 25%, then + $100,000 (the formula is just working backwards).

So, given Calderon's contract of approx. $9.781M, the Raptors need to take back a minimum of $8.527M, to balance the salaries. Formula: [(9.781*1.1)-0.1]/1.25 = $8.527 approximately.

If TPE can be applied the same way as player salaries, then the Lakers' TPE would be sufficient ($8.900M). Or does a different formula apply to TPE-based trades?
        The rules governing the use of a TPE are not subject to the 125% or 150% rules.

Any use of the TPE must be able to absorb the full contract being received. So the largest contract the Lakers can receive is, at most, the value of the TPE - nothing more.

See Larry Coon's website cbafaq.com for a very detailed look at the NBA CBA.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          The rules governing the use of a TPE are not subject to the 125% or 150% rules.

Any use of the TPE must be able to absorb the full contract being received. So the largest contract the Lakers can receive is, at most, the value of the TPE - nothing more.

See Larry Coon's website cbafaq.com for a very detailed look at the NBA CBA.
          Thanks Matt, that's what I assumed.

From a quick glance around the league, only Utah has a TPE large enough to absorb Calderon's contract. The only way I could see the Lakers getting Calderon would be a 3-team trade (which works on ESPN Trade Machine):
          TO TORONTO - $10.5M TPE & Lakers 1st round pick
          TO LAKERS - Calderon & 2 small TPEs
          TO UTAH - Luke Walton, either Steve Blake or Derek Fisher, and likely some combination of 2nd round pick(s) & cash (for acommodating Toronto & LA to help make the trade happen)
          *** even though it works on the Trade Machine, I'm not sure how TPE work in 3-way trades like that

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Thanks Matt, that's what I assumed.

From a quick glance around the league, only Utah has a TPE large enough to absorb Calderon's contract. The only way I could see the Lakers getting Calderon would be a 3-team trade (which works on ESPN Trade Machine):
            TO TORONTO - $10.5M TPE & Lakers 1st round pick
            TO LAKERS - Calderon & 2 small TPEs
            TO UTAH - Luke Walton, either Steve Blake or Derek Fisher, and likely some combination of 2nd round pick(s) & cash (for acommodating Toronto & LA to help make the trade happen)
            *** even though it works on the Trade Machine, I'm not sure how TPE work in 3-way trades like that
            It would work the same way as a 2 team trade. The team absorbing the contract must have a TPE large enough to absorb the contract. Basically, the team not taking back any salary gets a TPE if they are over the TPE and if they are under they can renounce the TPE and take straight cap space instead (which means they would not have to trade to take salary, they could use the cap space in free agency.... remember, you can't use a TPE to sign a player).

There are lots of trade ideas in the trade forum, by the way.

Comment

Am I the only one who will be completely content if we get a top 22 pick for him?

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                Am I the only one who will be completely content if we get a top 22 pick for him?
                With no salary coming back? No. I'd be ecstatic.

Comment

Sign me up. Whatever they do I think it should not be at the expense of the summer cap flexiblity... Unless we're talking a bigger trade here with a starting caliber PG heading this way.

Comment

With Billups going down, I wonder if the Clippers might be interested in Barbosa? Perhaps a 3-way deal with Mo Williams heading to that 3rd team?

Comment

Amen! Sign me up! (either TPE or expiring contract coming back, just nothing beyond this season)

Comment

I'd shave my pubes and glue it to my upper lip and wear it as a mustache if we can actually get a 1st rounder for the guy..and with no salary coming back this way to boot.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          I'd shave my pubes and glue it to my upper lip and wear it as a mustache if we can actually get a 1st rounder for the guy..and with no salary coming back this way to boot.
                          I'm going to hold you to that.

All I can see in my mind is that Jackass scene.....

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                            Count me in.

Comment

Draft picks and cap flexibility for basically anybody on the roster. Outside of Bargs, I'm not sure we have even one potential core player (i.e. potential all-star or close to it). Lenard Barbs for a 1st rounder would be sweet.

Comment

Barbosa for a pick just outside the lottery for my boi Myck Kabongo

Comment

Working...
                                X