Raptors weigh plusses of Drafting a Homegrown Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Great! Something to watch when the Raptors are down by 17 to start the 2nd quarter
    Ha... sadly that is usually when the game gets interesting.

Comment

High Expectations

Man, this draft is going to be sweet no matter where the Raptors draft in the top ten. I am certain Colangelo is coming away with a stud. He's an amazing prospect evaluator and this is an amazing class. This has the makings of something special for Raptors fans.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Ha... sadly that is usually when the game gets interesting.
        The 'recall' button on the remote is a man's best friend.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          DraftExpress has three UNC players listed in their top 10:

4. Harrison Barnes
          8. John Henson
          9. Tyler Zeller
          I was making a case for the Raptors to Draft Henson or Zeller last year if they entered the draft.

Zeller had a great tournament, and has a great build to play Center (7'0", 250lbs) in the NBA.
          Henson will likely be able to guard 4 positions and play 3 very effectively.

I'm a BIG fan of both.

And this all speaks to why UNC is Ranked #1 in Points AND Rebounds in the Country, and is #1 in the ACC.

Comment

Dammit ... did this just turn into just another Draft thread?? Haha
            Was hoping it'd stay away from getting too draft-general.

Stay on topic boys! haha

Kabongo and Rivers is a good place to start with this one though.
            Could even throw in Kendall Marshall, for a non-Canadian, Pass First PG (who's averaging 10 assists right now.)

Comment

Marshall is essentially Calderon without a real jumpshot.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                Marshall is essentially Calderon without a real jumpshot.
                Fair comparison actually.
                But man, his court vision is second to none right now though. One of the best in NCAA I've ever seen.

Comment

Honestly, all I care about for the young Canadian players is that they get into situations that will allow them to grow and contribute to the national team. Great for Thompson and Joseph to get into good NBA situations this year. Hopefully Kabongo stays in college another year, doesn't rush things, and reaches his potential eventually. Hopefully Khem Birch gets things on track at UNLV next year, much like Ashaolu is doing with Oregon. Kris Joseph's run with Syracuse is great for his confidence and I love the potential he has to be a leader on the national team, even if I see his NBA potential as being somewhat limited. Here's hoping Pangos has a great run over his career at Gonzaga. Maybe one or both of the Bhullars turn out to have the skill to compliment their enormous frames. Not all of these guys are going to end up in the NBA, and some of them would probably be better served playing big minutes in Europe than sitting on an NBA bench. I'll be rooting for all those guys and everyone else in the system, but as far as any of them playing for the Raptors, it really is a 'meh' issue for me. I'm not thrilled with Magloire on the team, and the idea of Nash here for a year at the end of his career doesn't really excite me either.

Comment

Mock drafts this far away from the draft don't mean a whole lot. Based on his future potential, you could argue Kabongo has the highest ceiling of any PG in the draft. If he wows a lottery team during the work-outs, he's going in the lottery. I would be shocked if at least 2 PG's don't go in the lottery no matter what mock drafts say.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Fair comparison actually.
                      But man, his court vision is second to none right now though. One of the best in NCAA I've ever seen.
                      I've watched a few Texas games this year and Kabongo's vision is not too shabby either. The problem is guys aren't catching the passes or finishing the layup or making the shot.

I would really love to see Kabongo play with Kentucky (as I already said) or play with UNC.

I think one area where Marshall does excel and is much better than Kabongo is turnovers.

big_chris wrote: View Post
                      Mock drafts this far away from the draft don't mean a whole lot. Based on his future potential, you could argue Kabongo has the highest ceiling of any PG in the draft. If he wows a lottery team during the work-outs, he's going in the lottery. I would be shocked if at least 2 PG's don't go in the lottery no matter what mock drafts say.
                      No doubt. The three most important parts of the draft process have not even happened yet:

1) March Madness
                      2) combine
                      3) individual workouts

Comment

I have watched a couple of Texas games this year and I side with the camp that thinks Kabongo would be served well with at least another year at College. I absolutely love his natural leadership though. His guys play hard for him, and he is always in everyone's ear

Best case scenario for a Canadian on Raptors is Andrew Wiggins. He is going to be a dynamic/top-flight player in the NBA

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Man, this draft is going to be sweet no matter where the Raptors draft in the top ten. I am certain Colangelo is coming away with a stud. He's an amazing prospect evaluator and this is an amazing class. This has the makings of something special for Raptors fans.
                          Do you think we'll get a better player than Chris bosh when he was drafted?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I've watched a few Texas games this year and Kabongo's vision is not too shabby either. The problem is guys aren't catching the passes or finishing the layup or making the shot.

I would really love to see Kabongo play with Kentucky (as I already said) or play with UNC.

I think one area where Marshall does excel and is much better than Kabongo is turnovers.

No doubt. The three most important parts of the draft process have not even happened yet:

1) March Madness
                            2) combine
                            3) individual workouts
                            A big question will be whether Kabongo stays in the 2012 Draft, or waits until 2013. I'm not sure which would be better for the Raptors, if they really like him. If he stays in the 2012 draft, the Raptors probably need another 1st round pick to have a chance. Of course, if the Raptors do get another pick in the first round of 2012, they could always influence Kabongo's decision by promising to pick him if he is still available at their pick.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Do you think we'll get a better player than Chris bosh when he was drafted?
                              I think the potential is there to get someone of that level, maybe more polished depending on where they select. We have to remember that Bosh was very limited on offense coming out of college at 18. His great scoring ability and consistency was due to a whole lot of hard work.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Initially I was going to use Rivers as my example actually, but he hasn't, by ANY stretch, proven to be OBVIOUSLY better, as my post was looking for. I'd actually prefer BC take Myck of Rivers at this point in time. Rivers has proven to be more of a score first PG, and not even very effective at that so far.
                                Rivers did a little better in Chapel Hill than Myck this season. He dropped 29 points and the game winner at the buzzer on the Tar Heels while Kabongo had a sore back for the UNC Texas game. That was the game coach Barnes called Myck out for not running plays. If they are in the same draft there's no way MK gets drafted before AR.

Comment

Working...
                                X