Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Toronto be in 'thick of playoff hunt' with a healthy Bargnani?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is nothing dreaded about the 11-14 pick in this draft. Any other maybe...but you are gonna have solid NBA players 1-25 in this years draft. Probably some decent second round role players as well
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      there is nothing dreaded about the 11-14 pick in this draft. Any other maybe...but you are gonna have solid NBA players 1-25 in this years draft. Probably some decent second round role players as well
      That is sort of the point though, and keep in mind nothing is a given when it comes to the draft, but given the situation the Raptors in, wouldn't you rather have the most talented player possible going forward? There is a reason 10-13 guys are ahead of you in that 11-14 range.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        The internal tanker inside me was a bit happy when I heard Bargnani's injury is going to take longer to heal. But watching each game has been frustrating without him in the line up. So I guess I've been a bit bi-polar this season watching these Raptors.
        I'm not a big fan of tanking, but weighing Andrea's health vs Not tanking - is an easy decision. For AB and the Raptors, it's ALL about next year. The hard part is knowing that even with a top level game by the team, Raptor wins remain slim pickings. And that's frustrating .... in a bi-polar sort of way.

Comment

Raptor Reality

We are in a play-off race .... Not that this says much about the East.

Once Andrea is back in (and continuing to play at his new level), we are Contenders for the 8th spot.

But ....... if a number of factors are taken into account, including Bargnani returning after the All-Star break, that 8th spot might materialize before our very own eyes. Those factors include:

• Difficult part of the schedule has passed by (back-back-back done, 17 road games of first 26)
          • Kleiza rounding into top form
          • Derozan can only get better (floor benchmark being pretty low)
          • Davis can only get better (understanding that defence means more playing time)
          • Amir is allowed to heal (physically & mentally)
          • Bayless heals (AllStar break - perfect timing)
          • JJ continues to gain confidence, while understanding the development of his role

If a number of these factors come true, 8th place could very well scare the sh!t out of Raptor fans - at least those who aspire to membership in the Tanks-for-showing-up-Raptor-Scrub club. Personally, I hope Bucks go on a tear (or even the Knicks).

Comment

I look at it this way, if I'm BC or AB:

OPTION 1
            - rest Bargnani so that he comes back 100% next season
            - give other young players lots of playing time to develop
            - increase chances of top-5 pick (even in a deep draft, the top few guys are already starting to distance themselves from the 5-15 range picks and some experts are predicting this draft may wind up not being as deep as anticipated, if several freshmen stay in school to improve their draft position)
            - out of contention makes it much easier to make decisions to trade veterans for younger players and/or picks (ie: Barbosa, Calderon, possibly even Amir or Bayless), which wouldn't be as easy to justify if they were key cogs in a playoff run

OPTION 2
            - Bargnani keeps playing at 80-90% this season and it lingers on into next season (or he winds up tearing the muscle completely, requiring surgery and significant healing time)
            - veterans stick around to make playoffs as fodder for Bulls/Heat, or finish as one of the top non-playoff teams
            - pick in the 12-16 range in the draft, where you're likely to get a solid rotation player, but far less likely to get a franchise type player

hmmm... why would BC or AB NOT want to go with 'Option A'?

Comment

Working...
            X