Jonas named Young Men's Player of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas named Young Men's Player of the Year

FIBA Europe announced on Monday that Jonas Valanciunas of Lithuania is the Young Men's Player of the Year for 2011.
    Valanciunas was the winner of the expert panel vote* ahead of the U20 European Championship MVP Nikola Mirotic of Spain and came in second in the public vote.
    The Lithuanian international propelled the Baltic nation to the top of the podium at the FIBA U19 World Championship in July by leading the tournament in points and rebounds.
    Fresh off being selected by the Toronto Raptors with the fifth overall pick in the NBA Draft, the 2.10m center turned heads with his stratospheric performances since the very first game of the tournament.
    Valanciunas, who averaged a double-double with 23 points and 13.9 rebounds per game, saved the best for last.
    He exploded in the final against Serbia with 36 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three blocked shots, to secure the gold medal for his team and earn MVP honours almost unanimously.
    In August, the 20-year-old joined the senior national team at EuroBasket 2011.
    His collaboration with veteran point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius provided some of the best pick'n'roll plays in the history of the EuroBasket and the host nation fans with some of their warmest memories of the tournament.
    Valanciunas had already shown he could compete as equal against senior players earlier in the year, at club level.
    He featured in 16 games in his maiden Turkish Airlines EuroLeague season with Lietuvos Rytas and had 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per contest.
    "Jonas is so quick, he is so agile, he is so skilled that sometimes I forget how tall he is," said FIBA Europe President Olafur Rafnsson.
    "He stands out from other players his age and if one considers what a hugely gifted generation we are talking about, this is an incredible feat," Mr Rafnsson added.
    "A lot of people compare Valanciunas to Sabonis, but he has his own distinct style," said FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.
    "What he does have in common with Arvydas is the potential to develop into a big man who dominates the game at both ends of the floor, just like the Lithuanian legend did," Mr Zanolin concluded.
    Sweeet !

Source : http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_-nQH1...leMode_on.html

I have a very warm and fuzzy feeling right now. Thanks for posting that, Fanchie.

The last line is incredible. If he keeps working and stays grounded what might be is too good to speculate on.

Time will tell.

Comment

"Jonas is so quick, he is so agile, he is so skilled that sometimes I forget how tall he is," said FIBA Europe President Olafur Rafnsson.
      This one is my favorite. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how can one set this guy's ceiling. Quick, agile, skilled, passionate, good hands, can't foul him cause he punishes you at the FT line and a "follow my lead" attitude. Oh, and 7'0.

Might take a few years to adapt to the NBA game, but when he peaks, how do you solve this equation when you're the opposite team's coach ? On which weakness do you base your anti-Jonas plan ?

Comment

Good read. Very encouraging!

Comment

Cannot add to the comments. Next season cant come fast enough.

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
            Might take a few years to adapt to the NBA game, but when he peaks, how do you solve this equation when you're the opposite team's coach ? On which weakness do you base your anti-Jonas plan ?
            The nice part about his transition offensively is that, with Calderon, he'll immediately will become a major force on the pick and roll; this should transition very well (with Calderon) in Nash/Stoudemire style. His post offense will take some time, but if he can develop that ...

Comment

the thing that excites me most is not him by himself, but him paired with Bargnani...if you got Bargnani popping Valanciunas rolling and Calderon able to pull up....I mean pick your poison when it comes to the pick and roll. The thing that always bugged me about Bosh and Bargnani was they didn't compliment each other well at all. This time around is seems like a perfect fit.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                This one is my favorite. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how can one set this guy's ceiling. Quick, agile, skilled, passionate, good hands, can't foul him cause he punishes you at the FT line and a "follow my lead" attitude. Oh, and 7'0.

Hhhmmm, isnt that what they pretty much said about Bargnani before he was drafted by the Raptors?

Im not being negative, just saying it was the same expectations as when Bargnani was being scouted.

But i cant wait to see next year's team. With JV, draft pick and FAs.... WHOA!!!!

Comment

How many more sleeps till the 2013 season opens?

Comment

Jv and Bargnani will be off the charts good. two seven footers who can D you up and crash the boards. No one will even think of stepping in the paint. Then you got DeRozan slashing and Barnes/Miller scoring from all areas and you got Jose dishin the rock like a boss. Do you guys think this will be the best raptors team ever? even better than the one with VC and T Mac

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Jv and Bargnani will be off the charts good. two seven footers who can D you up and crash the boards. No one will even think of stepping in the paint. Then you got DeRozan slashing and Barnes/Miller scoring from all areas and you got Jose dishin the rock like a boss. Do you guys think this will be the best raptors team ever? even better than the one with VC and T Mac
                      hmmmmmmmm

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Bargnani isn't exactly a "board crasher". And The Raptors' best season to date was without TMac (2000-01).

Having said that, I don't think there will be significant improvements next season with 2 rookies playing heavy minutes. The team has potential to be good in 2-4 years, but it depends on who Colangelo finds to replace Calderon. He's not our long-term answer at PG.

Comment

Great to hear even more praise for our big rook. Between him Bargs and whoever we keep between Amir and DAvis, this is going to be a very very good front court in a few seasons. This team is really starting to make me feel hopeful. With Bargs healthy, this team could be an 8th seed this year. Add Jonas and whichever pick we get this year (Barnes or Gilchrist anyone?) and this team has the potential to contend in two or three seasons.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Bargnani isn't exactly a "board crasher". And The Raptors' best season to date was without TMac (2000-01).

Having said that, I don't think there will be significant improvements next season with 2 rookies playing heavy minutes. The team has potential to be good in 2-4 years, but it depends on who Colangelo finds to replace Calderon. He's not our long-term answer at PG.
                            well he's averaging career highs in rebounding

Comment

Yeah but it's like 6 per game
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X