J.R. Smith flying back to America tomorrow and many teams are interested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.R. Smith flying back to America tomorrow and many teams are interested

The CBA’s season officially ends on February 15th; Smith is expected on the first flight home after his game.
    Sources say Smith has been hit by a number of NBA friends and former teammates to join them including New York’s Carmelo Anthony, and Clippers teammates Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin who played with Smith in Denver.

Sources close to the process say Smith is looking for a situation in which he can play a major role and be well compensated for his efforts. Winning and the playoffs are a factor, but Smith’s camp is extremely sensitive to the perception of Smith being a role player or worse yet being a cast as a minimum dollar athlete.

The Clippers, Lakers, Knicks and Timberwolves are said to be the front runners in the chase to sign Smith. One source close to the process pointed out that where Smith signs this year may be directly related to who will have cap space or a willingness to re-sign him to a larger dollar deal next year.

Most of the teams linked to Smith have their “room exception” worth a prorated $2.5 million. With most teams having 37 regular season games remaining; that works out to $1.12 million for the balance of the season today and decreases at roughly $30,487 per game played.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have roughly $6.8 million in space. The Raptors have roughly $4.3 million in space. The Sacramento Kings have $9.42 million in space with the Pacers leading all teams with $14.27 million in space.

Teams with cap space could offer Smith their full value under the cap without prorating; this includes the Timberwolves who have $1.19 million in space.

Smith signed the largest deal in Chines Basketball Association history, earning more than $3 million for his time in China.

Smith still needs to gain his FIBA letter of clearance from China, which sources say could happen in the next few days.
    Source: Hoopsworld.com

One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Indiana Pacers -- who possess more salary-cap space to spend than any other team in the league at present
    Source: ESPN.com

I would be surprised if Indiana signs him. They spent years cleaning up their image. He would be a big risk.

If he didn't have the history, I'd love to have him in Toronto. Maybe a coach like Casey could handle him but it is a biiiiiig risk. It really is too bad.

Comment

I think the best place for him, strictly basketball speaking, would be Minnesota.

Comment

One team that could handle him that I'm surprised that's not involved in the discussions are the Celtics. He could play a major role on that team especially on the drive to the playoffs.

Him playing on the Knicks would be a disaster. He could very well play for the Clippers seeing as they're using Foye at the 2-guard, but when JR starts jacking up shots and taking away shots from Griffin and Paul, they're gonna kill the guy.

Comment

See, I figured the Knicks would be a great spot for him. He's played and worked well with Melo in the past and D'Anotoni's system is known for generating a lot of shots and a lot of production.

He would be an upgrade for the Raptors no doubt about it but like Matt said he has a troubled past... He has all-star level talent and if he ever grows up and puts it all together he will make a huge impact to some lucky team.

Comment

Remove the Pacers from the list:

The Pacers showed interest in JR Smith early on, but they're interest has since died down, according to a source
            Source: Twitter @MikeWellsNBA

Comment

I think the Lakers should try and get the headcase all-star line up.

Cousins/Blatche/MWP/Smith/Arenas.

They already have MWP, and are working out Arenas. JR Smith seems like a possibility. Blatche should be no problem. Cousins would be the hardest to obtain though.

It sure would make entertaining basketball.

Comment

Well in MWP's defense he's cleaned up his act.

Comment

TWolves are the only team that has money to sign him...
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    TWolves are the only team that has money to sign him...
                    Kings, Raptors, Pacers all have cap space.

Many team, like the Knicks, have their $2.5M room exception left as well.

Comment

i meant of the teams that were allegedly interested.

i could see him taking the 2.5 to play in NYK though.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        i meant of the teams that were allegedly interested.

i could see him taking the 2.5 to play in NYK though.
                        Sorry.

Keep an eye on those room exceptions.

Comment

i guess he's getting that 2.5
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm banking on him signing with the Knicks and logging 30-35MPG to close the season. He's already assigned to my fantasy roster collecting dust in anticipation.

Comment

The Knicks really know what they are doing dont they? Now that they have semblance of cohesiveness and playing winning basketball (without their top guns) they want to sign another guy who is noted as a bit of a loose cannon and who wants his touches....and they havent even re-incorporated Melo back into the mix. This should be interesting game management.

Comment

Working...
                              X