Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Based on how J.V. has played since the draft...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Based on how J.V. has played since the draft...

Where would he go in the 2012 draft if he had opted to not enter the 2011 draft?
    19.44%
    47.22%
    13.89%
    5.56%
    2.78%
    5.56%
    2.78%
    0.00%
    0.00%
    2.78%

The poll is expired.

Word on the street was that all GMs were big fans of the kid, but that the buyout situation was seen as a big issue. Without it and with JV's FIBA summer, I don't see any GM missing the opportunity to draft a 7'0 stud who can run, shoot and punish any team on the FT line. #1.

Comment

There certainly seems to be no center prospect in the draft who can match his overall game. Praise and awards have followed this guy all through the past year. I have yet to vote because I'm still thinking about it. It's hard for me not vote #1 or #2.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        There certainly seems to be no center prospect in the draft who can match his overall game. Praise and awards have followed this guy all through the past year. I have yet to vote because I'm still thinking about it. It's hard for me not vote #1 or #2.
        Whom are you putting ahead of him at #2, Drummond or Barnes?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Whom are you putting ahead of him at #2, Drummond or Barnes?
          He's gotta be thinking Anthony Davis.

Comment

I can't see any GM picking Valanciunas over Davis. That's not taking anything away from Val, but merely the promise that David gives to a team. I think if Val was in the 2012 draft that Davis would still be viewed as the consensus overall pick.
            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Bingo. He seems to be the consensus #1 overall pick in the 2012 draft class. Would JV change that? Well to answer this question it would help to not be thinking from the Raptors' perspective...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Oh whoops, I read his statement incorrectly thinking he could not vote Val to go #1 or #2...Davis is the obvious #1 and then you have to think either Drummond on potential or Barnes on pure talent at #2.

I would probably put JV in the top 5 of this draft. He has a great body of work so far, but at the end of the day he is still untested in North American style play. I think Rubio's success has many people thinking that all young European players will translate just as easily to the NBA. For me anyways, the college game is a better way to judge young prospects.

Comment

I would probably put JV in the top 5 of this draft. He has a great body of work so far, but at the end of the day he is still untested in North American style play. I think Rubio's success has many people thinking that all young European players will translate just as easily to the NBA. For me anyways, the college game is a better way to judge young prospects.
                  I have to disagree. Well, partly at least.

Most young european entering the draft are bench players back home with limited minutes and not necessarily high level experience, so in this case, i do agree that college game is better.

But in JV's case (or Rubio's), the dude is a starter on his team (and has been for quite a while now), has played in the Euroleague, FIBA Euro championships : he's used to play with grown men at a professionnal level. This is priceless : don't forget that most college players won't ever become professionnal, so I think the average level is higher in Europe.

Then there is the style/rules differences, but there are some between college hoops and NBA too.

Comment

I think Davis would go #1. #2 would go to either Barnes or MKG, and #3 would go to JV.

I can see JV almost like the Kanter pick last year. You have the automatic #1 in Davis.. and then probably the best wing in Barnes or MKG as #2, and then JV as #3. Of course this is all hypothetical since we don't know the order of the lottery and which athletes are going to declare.

But I think JV would have been in the top 3.

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                      I have to disagree. Well, partly at least.

Most young european entering the draft are bench players back home with limited minutes and not necessarily high level experience, so in this case, i do agree that college game is better.

But in JV's case (or Rubio's), the dude is a starter on his team (and has been for quite a while now), has played in the Euroleague, FIBA Euro championships : he's used to play with grown men at a professionnal level. This is priceless : don't forget that most college players won't ever become professionnal, so I think the average level is higher in Europe.

Then there is the style/rules differences, but there are some between college hoops and NBA too.
                      Great post. Yes, J.V. is starting against grown men, not boys. He's holding his own against players of far more experience and who are far more developed than NCAA players. I would say that he is at least getting as much developmental experience and coaching as he would get in the NCAA.

Rubio struggled through most of his European pro career and now he's killing it but that's just one guy. There are decades of examples management would look at and Rubio isn't the be all, end all example. Thinking just big men off the top of my head you have have Sabonis, Divac, Big Z, Nowitzki, the Gasols and Bargnani. Those would be better places to look and compare than Rubio.

Comment

as a qualified GM I would not draft anyone with a unibrow. By 18 you can't NOT know you have one and not do something about it. Hence I will not be drafting Anthony Davis skillbedamned
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          as a qualified GM I would not draft anyone with a unibrow. By 18 you can't NOT know you have one and not do something about it. Hence I will not be drafting Anthony Davis skillbedamned

Where can I get a sweater like that? Burt, the place where the Turtleneck and V-neck officially united as one all powerful force.

Now, back to the matter at hand:

Comment

Rotflmao
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X