No announcement yet.

The Point Guard of the Future and Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd take Dragic, I've always thought he was very underrated and I think he would be a very good starter. Plus he should be cheaper than one of the bigger names.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
      Elsewhere cheap would mean vet min to $2M here I would be meaning $4-5M.
      We offered Bosh a max contract and he left to chase the ring...two million versus 4-5 million what would you do? at this point of his carreer,my guess is that he would play for a vet mimimum and try for a ring,his window is closing.I would love to have him stick around,great locker room guy,but at the end of the day its not always about the money.

Comment

d279 wrote: View Post
        We offered Bosh a max contract and he left to chase the ring...two million versus 4-5 million what would you do? at this point of his carreer,my guess is that he would play for a vet mimimum and try for a ring,his window is closing.I would love to have him stick around,great locker room guy,but at the end of the day its not always about the money.
        Don't forget Bosh essentially gave up $6M over 5 years on a $100M contract.

Jose, at $5M per year (MLE) vs $2M and assuming 3 years, would be looking at $15M vs. $6M.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
          Leaving out:

Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*

Just sayin'.

Not that we have a chance of getting him anyways.
          I think there's a chance. The only thing I don't like about Lin is that he's careless with the ball. But someone's gonna give him a HUGE dollar amount. From a Raptors standpoint, it makes a ton of sense. 23-year old seemingly budding star, and with Toronto having a sizable Asian community, it seems like a nice match.

Here's a question - not saying that I advocate it, but just throwing it out there... Should Lin continue his meteoric ascension, would you amnesty Jose to sign Jeremy Lin?

Comment

Lin has Rafer Alston's horrible $25M contract written all over him.

By the way Mango, I'm counting 30 turnovers in the past five games. He's averaging close on to 7 TO's per game in the last three. No self respecting coach with other PG options would let that go on.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              I think there's a chance. The only thing I don't like about Lin is that he's careless with the ball. But someone's gonna give him a HUGE dollar amount. From a Raptors standpoint, it makes a ton of sense. 23-year old seemingly budding star, and with Toronto having a sizable Asian community, it seems like a nice match.

Here's a question - not saying that I advocate it, but just throwing it out there... Should Lin continue his meteoric ascension, would you amnesty Jose to sign Jeremy Lin?

I'm not sure Lin is possible. He's an RFA, so NY has the ability to match any deal. But the most a team can offer Lin is the MLE, which is $5M. NY will use their MLE to sign him. The one thing is that NY does not have his Bird's rights, but in this case it shouldn't matter since NY is not in luxury tax territory.

(1/2) Lots of confusion out there. To repeat: Lin will be restricted FA. No Bird rights. But Knicks can match any offer.
              http://twitter.com/#!/HowardBeckNYT/...07340946182144

(2/2) Under "Arenas" rule, no team can offer Lin more than avg player salary, approx $5 mil. Knicks can match using midlevel exception,
              http://twitter.com/#!/HowardBeckNYT/...07476644511745

Source: @HowardBeckNYT

Comment

Well, right there, at 5 mil per, the Knicks will more than gladly match any offer. It might also squash the Nash to NY rumours.

Comment

2012 simply to not have to over pay for an restricted free agent in 2013. I'd look at someone like Aron Brooks whom is restricted but I wouldn't anticipate a huge bidding war for his services. Good 3 point shooter and has leadership qualities..super quick as well. He might not be the pg of the future for this team, but there shouldn't be too much of a drop off from Jose.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    2012 simply to not have to over pay for an restricted free agent in 2013. I'd look at someone like Aron Brooks whom is restricted but I wouldn't anticipate a huge bidding war for his services. Good 3 point shooter and has leadership qualities..super quick as well. He might not be the pg of the future for this team, but there shouldn't be too much of a drop off from Jose.
                    I personally don't like the idea of moving Jose if we're not looking to shore up the PG void long-term. I'd rather keep Jose, than borrow Brooks for 2-3 years, and start the PG search again in 2015.

The guys on the lists who intrigue me are Augstin, Jennings, Dragic, and to a lesser extent, Beaubois.

Comment

Unless the Raptors can get a lottery pick without taking any salary back, I would NOT trade Calderon this season/offseason.

I would love to see Calderon playing with Valanciunas, a healthy Bargnani, another lottery pick and hopefully at least one big name free agent addition - that is essentially a completely different (and significantly improved) team than the one we're seeing right now.

I could even envision Calderon re-signing after next season for a cheaper contract, to continue as the starter for a couple more seasons, since pass-first PG tend to have longevity in this league (ie: Nash, Kidd). Whether we sign a young PG this upcoming offseason or next, or we draft one, I really like the idea of Calderon being the mentor who can eventually make the transition to veteran backup PG.

Besides, most players on the free agency list fall into one unfavourable category or another:
                      - no chance of signing in Toronto because they want to play in a big US market
                      - no chance of playing in Toronto because their team will match (or they will just re-sign stright up)
                      - bidding war will cause them to be overpaid and hopefully Toronto won't be that unfortunate team
                      - player is overrated and/or not a pass-first PG, which is what I'd like the Raptors' PG-of-the-future to be
                      - player is too old to be considered long-term solution for Toronto
                      - player just isn't that good

The only player on the list that seems a legit possibility and doesn't fall into one of these unfavourable categories, is Dragic. However, he'll be 26 next season and has not proven he can be a starter, let alone an above-average player who is a true leader on the court. For me, I'd rather look to either the 2012 or 2013 draft, than pin my hopes on Dragic. Stick with Calderon.
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Feb 15, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Unless the Raptors can get a lottery pick without taking any salary back, I would NOT trade Calderon this season/offseason.

I would love to see Calderon playing with Valanciunas, a healthy Bargnani, another lottery pick and hopefully at least one big name free agent addition - that is essentially a completely different (and significantly improved) team than the one we're seeing right now.

I could even envision Calderon re-signing after next season for a cheaper contract, to continue as the starter for a couple more seasons, since pass-first PG tend to have longevity in this league (ie: Nash, Kidd). Whether we sign a young PG this upcoming offseason or next, or we draft one, I really like the idea of Calderon being the mentor who can eventually make the transition to veteran backup PG.

Besides, most players on the free agency list fall into one unfavourable category or another:
                        - no chance of signing in Toronto because they want to play in a big US market
                        - no chance of playing in Toronto because their team will match (or they will just re-sign stright up)
                        - bidding war will cause them to be overpaid and hopefully Toronto won't be that unfortunate team
                        - player is overrated and/or not a pass-first PG, which is what I'd like the Raptors' PG-of-the-future to be
                        - player is too old to be considered long-term solution for Toronto
                        - player just isn't that good

The only player on the list that seems a legit possibility and doesn't fall into one of these unfavourable categories, is Dragic. However, he'll be 26 next season and has not proven he can be a starter, let alone an above-average player who is a true leader on the court. For me, I'd rather look to either the 2012 or 2013 draft, than pin my hopes on Dragic. Stick with Calderon.
                        I have been an advocate of the raptors trade ideas in the past, but Calderon is proving me wrong. He is playing great basketball, I like Bayless too.

So, I agree with this post. I would only trade Calderon for a lottery pick and salary relief. The main purpose of any trade of calderon would be to free up salary for a big name FA acquisition and a draft pick.

The idea of resigning calderon when his contract expires at a lower rate is also a good idea at this point.
                        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Unless you're getting a clear upgrade I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't say guys like Felton or Augustine are clear upgrades. Didn't Felton just lose his starting job?

Anyways, I'd throw good money at Holliday or Jennings but that's about it. Sincerely doubt the Sixers let Holliday go, but I could see Jennings coming here as a FA after his recent TO comments.

If Jose gets traded though, then a guy like Felton or Augustine or even Dragic makes sense.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Felton has struggled in Portland at times this year but I don't think that should discredit his past performances. You could chalk it up to a mix of a new system, virtually no camp and limited practice.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Felton has struggled in Portland at times this year but I don't think that should discredit his past performances. You could chalk it up to a mix of a new system, virtually no camp and limited practice.
                              .... and showing up horribly out of shape.

Comment

I agree, I'm just saying Felton isn't a upgrade at the position. Why would I amnesty Jose to sign him?
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X