Cap Eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    Brandon Jennings. History with Demar. Big time player. I would take up any contract and offer everything except for Val + current first rounder to get him.

Again I don' think that particular trade with Philly is bad. In fact I fear we will have good competition in the unlikely event of Philly selling Holiday. I am just opposed to the idea of taking up bad contracts.
    Jennings is barely 6'1", hardly a defensive stopper at PG or SG like Holiday, and known to take highly questionable shots. His on/off court point differential with Milwaukee are startling: the Bucks are -1.9 with him on the court and +5.3 with him off. In other words they are 7.2 points better with Jennings on the bench.

Despite that, Jennings is a player and he has considerable talent. Do you think you are getting Jennings without taking back a bad contract or not giving up JV or current first rounder? There is no way Milwaukee parts with Jennings without attaching Udrih and/or Gooden to the deal. I'd rather have one year of Brand than 4 years of Gooden at a much less salary.

I understand not wanting to take a bad contract. However, I don't think 1 year of an overpaid Brand is a bad thing. He is 100% professional, mature, experienced, and a banger on defense. In terms of the type of players Casey is looking for, Brand would be it.

Comment

how bout Calderon + Amir + both 2nd round picks for Holiday and Brand ?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        how bout Calderon + Amir + both 2nd round picks for Holiday and Brand ?
        Why do the Sixers do that deal? It gives them absolutely nothing. Calderon and Brand both have 1 year remaining after this one with Brand having the larger contract of the two, but trading a young point guard oozing with potential just to get rid of the Brand contract is simply not worth it for them - at least not for Calderon, Amir and 2 second round picks.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
          Why do the Sixers do that deal? It gives them absolutely nothing. Calderon and Brand both have 1 year remaining after this one with Brand having the larger contract of the two, but trading a young point guard oozing with potential just to get rid of the Brand contract is simply not worth it for them - at least not for Calderon, Amir and 2 second round picks.
          idk i just thought it would benefit the Raps. I know the sixers wouldn't do that deal, unless of course their GM was high that day, or ed stafanski convinces them to do it

Comment

Cap eating? (with a draft twist)

Personally, I'm a big Brad Beal fan. He is the player I hope is handed the Raps jersey at the press conference. A lot can happen between now and May 30 (and then June 28) but as of now it appears he will not be available should the Raptors pick where they are 'suppose' to.

Regardless of who BC has his eyes on, lets say he wants to move up. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, what are some possible opportunities for Toronto to move up by using the approximately $12M in cap space they have available to them until July 1st. (The following assumes that the team is not picking #1).

Charlotte:
            Toronto pick for Charlotte pick and Diop.
            Why? Charlotte can then save the amnesty for Tyrus Thomas.

Washington:
            Toronto pick and Gary Forbes for Washington pick and Rashard Lewis ('only' $13M guaranteed for next year).
            Why? Amnesty then used on Blatche and the Wiz are working with a clean slate.

New Orleans:
            Toronto pick for Charlotte pick and Ariza or Okafor.
            Why? Saves NOH a tonne of money, creates significant cap space to resign Gordon and another free agent, and opens minutes for development of youth.

Sacramento:
            Toronto pick for Sacramento pick and Francisco Garcia.
            Why? Money saved for cash strapped Sacramento and helps clear the log jam on the wing. Amnesty still available for one of the worst contracts in the league: John Salmons.

Cleveland:
            Not going to waste the pixels. They have spent $30M in the last 2 years to get more 1st round picks and they could have up to $30M in cap space this summer. They are not trading down. Next to Mark Cuban, who would a fan not love more to have as an owner of their team?

Portland:
            Toronto pick/Ed Davis or DeMar DeRozan for Wesley Matthews and pick.
            Why? I can't justify this. Portland would not do it.

If New Jersey gets in to the top 3:
            Toronto pick for NJ pick and Morrow or Farmar
            Why? Decent role players with just one year left each at $4M.
            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:39 PM.

Comment

i dunno about portland. if they're doing a full reboot i think a contract like matthews is one they'd want to shed.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                i dunno about portland. if they're doing a full reboot i think a contract like matthews is one they'd want to shed.
                He is a really good player, a real glue guy, 3 and D. He is very much respected in the organization. Also, not counting resigning Batum and first round picks, the Blazers are sitting on nearly $30M in cap space. Shedding money is not a worry unless they are going to offer Batum $10M and a max contract to someone else.

Comment

wasn't he moved to the bench at the end of the season?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    wasn't he moved to the bench at the end of the season?
                    More towards the middle and then started again once Wallace was traded.

Comment

What if someone falls to us and we draft them regardless of the position.

Then package them for someone else. Just a thought. You never knoe.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                        What if someone falls to us and we draft them regardless of the position.

Then package them for someone else. Just a thought. You never knoe.
                        Sure. I was just trying to keep in the spirit of the thread and parameters Apollo had originally laid down.

Comment

Toronto eating some Dallas cap space

Dallas sends Marion, Beaubois, Jones, #17, and the rights to Calathes to Toronto for 2 second round picks?

That is $10.4M off the 2011-12 salary cap number for Dallas and takes them under the luxury tax.

More importantly, it is $12.1M off the books for 2012-13. Using the amnesty on Haywood, that leaves the Mavs with basically Dirk on the roster and under $25M in committed salary - which is supposedly what they want.

So what do you think? Would you help Dallas help the Raptors with the above trade?

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                            haha, it's an example, but what if it was Luke Walton. Would you still take his contract for a first rounder?
                            Yes, but for at least 10 UNPROTECTED first rounders.

Comment

Working...
                            X