No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly this is the best thing for raptors,sure nash would give raptor a jolt,rating,sellouts and all the other crap,but honestly does his signing help us compete for championship,not really,go after Kyle Lowry. Very underrated pg.
    I still would use the amnesty jose calderon or trade him even if we dont get steve nash,which looks like more a more that raptors wont get him..
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
      With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way

very interesting... if true
      Good.
      Can't BC go for Batum too?

Comment

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
        With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way

At least we are cultivating other options.. but I don't want Lowry for big money. I'd rather stick with Jose this year.

Comment

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein

My bad for posting this Tweet in the Nash thread, though it relates to Nash's potential signing...

Nilanka posted the same Marc Stein Tweet in the "Plan B" thread (http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...3-Plan-B/page5), where the Lowry, etc... discussion is raging on. Lets keep this thread dedicated to Nash.

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            We expect BC to lure good American players to Toronto when the guy can't get a 38-yr old Canadian to come over for massive money. Not that I really wanted Nash here, but the fact that this makes the Raptors look like total jackasses hurts me.
            I hesitate taking you on, Arse. You are as close to God on this site as anyone. And yet, I must speak truth to power. First of all, I assume you meant to say: "How can we expect BC...", right? It does not make us look like jackasses that we gave it our best shot, but that Nash wanted to play at home (his adopted home; Toronto is not home, btw) and for a contending team that has (with Nash) a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs, all for only a few mill less than what the Raptors, a horrible franchise, were able to give him. The Raps look like (and are) jackasses not because of this unsuccessful wooing, but because...well, because we stink! And until we stop stinking, we'll be considered jackasses, and deservedly so. Nothing at all to do with Nashgate (patent pending). Arse, please don't revoke my membership.
            ;-)

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
              At least we are cultivating other options.. but I don't want Lowry for big money. I'd rather stick with Jose this year.
              We would be trading fro Lowry based on his existing contract, so it will cost assets. Not sure Lowry is available now given how much dragic wants.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                We would be trading fro Lowry based on his existing contract, so it will cost assets. Not sure Lowry is available now given how much dragic wants.
                Aha, you're correct. Still not sure I'm a fan of going after him.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
                  Right, Lowry under contract for 2 seasons.

Also, Rockets going hard after Lin and might look to move Lowry regardless - emphasis on might as I don't know.

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                    I hesitate taking you on, Arse. You are as close to God on this site as anyone. And yet, I must speak truth to power. First of all, I assume you meant to say: "How can we expect BC...", right? It does not make us look like jackasses that we gave it our best shot, but that Nash wanted to play at home (his adopted home; Toronto is not home, btw) and for a contending team that has (with Nash) a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs, all for only a few mill less than what the Raptors, a horrible franchise, were able to give him. The Raps look like (and are) jackasses not because of this unsuccessful wooing, but because...well, because we stink! And until we stop stinking, we'll be considered jackasses, and deservedly so. Nothing at all to do with Nashgate (patent pending). Arse, please don't revoke my membership.
                    ;-)
                    LeeZ, I think you're missing the point that Arsenalist, myself and others are trying to make. We're not questioning Nash's motivations and respect his decision (even if we don't agree with it).

The negative impact on the perception of the Raptors franchise will be two-fold, as a result of Nash choosing not to sign here.

1. If anybody was destined to sign with the Raptors, it was Steve Nash - Kid Canada, Captain Canada, GM of the Canadian National Team, Canadian hero, possibly future GM of the Raptors, limitless personal marketing/sponsorship opportunities - yet he said no. The reasons behind his decision don't matter, when it comes to how his decision will be perceived by his fellow NBA players. If the one player most likely to sign with the Raptors says "NO", that is definitely going to make other players think twice.

2. You are absolutely right that a winning culture, winning identity and winning record play a large part in attracting free agents; success begets success. What better way to ensure success, then to bring in a two-time MVP, savvy veteran floor general PG, to help lead this talented group of youngsters? The addition of Nash, on top of the additions of Valanciunas, Ross, Acy, Fields and whatever other players may have been added after Nash, would very likely make this Raptors team a playoff team next season. The presence of Steve Nash on a Toronto Raptors team that made the playoffs, would be the ultimate turnaround for the image of this "jackass" franchise, into that of a legitmate, up-and-coming, winning NBA franchise.

Nash has earned the right to sign anywhere he wants and I will absolutely respect his decision, regardless of his motivations. Nash NOT choosing Toronto will absolutely have negative ramifications on the franchise's image and perception among NBA players though, make no mistake about it.

Comment

• imaginelino wrote: View Post
                      looks like even BC has thrown the towel in. he was quoted as saying

“We gave it our best shot,”
                      The funny thing is, that was tweeted with the line that he is still hopeful saying that

Comment

LeeZ, I think you're missing the point that Arsenalist, myself and others are trying to make. We're not questioning Nash's motivations and respect his decision (even if we don't agree with it).

The negative impact on the perception of the Raptors franchise will be two-fold, as a result of Nash choosing not to sign here.

1. If anybody was destined to sign with the Raptors, it was Steve Nash - Kid Canada, Captain Canada, GM of the Canadian National Team, Canadian hero, possibly future GM of the Raptors, limitless personal marketing/sponsorship opportunities - yet he said no. The reasons behind his decision don't matter, when it comes to how his decision will be perceived by his fellow NBA players. If the one player most likely to sign with the Raptors says "NO", that is definitely going to make other players think twice.

2. You are absolutely right that a winning culture, winning identity and winning record play a large part in attracting free agents; success begets success. What better way to ensure success, then to bring in a two-time MVP, savvy veteran floor general PG, to help lead this talented group of youngsters? The addition of Nash, on top of the additions of Valanciunas, Ross, Acy, Fields and whatever other players may have been added after Nash, would very likely make this Raptors team a playoff team next season. The presence of Steve Nash on a Toronto Raptors team that made the playoffs, would be the ultimate turnaround for the image of this "jackass" franchise, into that of a legitmate, up-and-coming, winning NBA franchise.

Nash has earned the right to sign anywhere he wants and I will absolutely respect his decision, regardless of his motivations. Nash NOT choosing Toronto will absolutely have negative ramifications on the franchise's image and perception among NBA players though, make no mistake about it.
                        Bingo. The LA Clippers have been a joke of a franchise ever since I can remember. Chris Paul last year put them on the map. Nash could have done that to Toronto. Him saying no is a serious setback for our franchise.

Comment

• Not entirely true. If nash wants to go to knicks he could sign with them for 3mil. Its up to pho to utilize s&t. Therefore raps can offer better s&t making pho not willing to do s&t with knicks. Leaving nash the choice of knicks for 3mil or raps for 36mil

Comment

• I'm getting sick of waiting...I'm gonna go out...get drunk...sing karaoke....and leave any twitter source behind
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• RaptorTy wrote: View Post
                              Not entirely true. If nash wants to go to knicks he could sign with them for 3mil. Its up to pho to utilize s&t. Therefore raps can offer better s&t making pho not willing to do s&t with knicks. Leaving nash the choice of knicks for 3mil or raps for 36mil
                              True. According to rumors, it seems like Phoenix is hot for Shumpert, likely moreso than any players Toronto would want to offer, unfortunately. So if Nash prefers NYK and Phoenix's top target is Shumpert, then Toronto really has no hope. If that's the case, a deal will get done eventually between Pho/NYK.

Comment

I disagree with this 100%. I love the idea of Nash in TDot but it never made sense beyond the money. It is not "home" for him (that'd be NYK or Victoria) and his NBA career is an entirely separate entity from his National Team duties. Always has been, always will be. Why is he the "one player most likely to sign with the Raptors"? Because of a passport?

The Raps are have not fielded an important team since VC/Tmac and that was for about 2.5 seasons. If you go into any sports store in the US you will not see raps gear anywhere because they are not and have not ever really been relevant. That changes in a heartbeat once the wins start to pile up but as it stands no one is lining up to go to Charlotte, SAC etc for the exact same reason. Nash is not a guarantee to make this team a winner on his own nor is he the ONLY option in building a winner and was, at best, a stopgap solution.
                                Last edited by minks77; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 05:33 PM.
                                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X