Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from Marc Stein, via Twitter:

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    Raps still meeting w/Steve Nash in NYC as we speak. Also: Told Raps already trying to trade Calderon so amnesty not needed on expiring deal

Comment

• S & T Nash for Calderon. It makes a lot of sense to me! Sign and trade negotiations have to go hand in hand at this point.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
        S & T Nash for Calderon. It makes a lot of sense to me!
        I agree. I think Calderon would be great veteran mentor for Marshall, if only for one season.

If not Phoenix, I would expect several teams to be interested in Calderon. I wonder which teams would want him and be able to afford him, without Toronto taking any/much guaranteed salary back in return?

Comment

• without Toronto taking any/much guaranteed salary back in return?

I am thinking that we must be operating above the cap limit as of now. As such we do not have the cap room to use at this point, unless we start relinquishing our exemptions or cap holds.
          Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I am thinking that we must be operating above the cap limit as of now. As such we do have the cap room to use at this point, unless we start relinquishing our exemptions or cap holds.
            But if Toronto wants to be able to offer Batum $10M per season, they'd need to clear Calderon off the books without bringing any salary back, even after all RFA have been renounced (assuming this is done after signing Nash).

Comment

• ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
              If Raps manufacture Calderon trade it'll be w/team with space or exception to take Spaniard w/no outgoing $ just like Utah did w/Mo Williams

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                But if Toronto wants to be able to offer Batum $10M per season, they'd need to clear Calderon off the books without bringing any salary back, even after all RFA have been renounced (assuming this is done after signing Nash).
                Unless a sign and trade for Nash is done... with Calderon going the other way.
                “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                ― John Wooden

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  Man considering what Nash would do for the franchise, it's not overpaying at all.
                  In a vacuum your point is correct but who are we bidding against for that kind of money? Dallas has got their eyes on DWill. Does he want to play for the Nets (but they are preoccupied with Dwill too)? If that is the starting offer how much further is his agent going to push? I guess I am feeling a bit miserly today lol.

Comment

• I am thinking that we must be operating above the cap limit as of now. As such we do not have the cap room to use at this point, unless we start relinquishing our exemptions or cap holds.

I had to go back and edit. Adding the word not

What I am trying to say is that I think we have to operate in the above cap world with its restrictions on how you have to trade( ie within a certain $ amount)

Comment

I am thinking that we must be operating above the cap limit as of now. As such we do not have the cap room to use at this point, unless we start relinquishing our exemptions or cap holds.

I had to go back and edit. Adding the word not

What I am trying to say is that I think we have to operate in the above cap world with its restrictions on how you have to trade( ie within a certain $ amount)
                      If we renounce/trade Bayless & Weems, the Raps would have $12M cap space. If that goes to Nash and Calderon is traded/amnestied, than the $10.5M value of his contract could be given to Batum and the Raps would be right on the salary cap.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        In a vacuum your point is correct but who are we bidding against for that kind of money? Dallas has got their eyes on DWill. Does he want to play for the Nets (but they are preoccupied with Dwill too)? If that is the starting offer how much further is his agent going to push? I guess I am feeling a bit miserly today lol.
                        We may be bidding against Phoenix. I f they don't cooperate at this point without a sign and trade we have only the mid level of 5 mil to offer.

I think?
                        Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• If we renounce/trade Bayless & Weems, the Raps would have $12M cap space. If that goes to Nash and Calderon is traded/amnestied, than the $10.5M value of his contract could be given to Batum and the Raps would be right on the salary cap.
                          Agree with this.

I see this as our two options . With the Nash deal having to be completed first and foremost

I also think?? that if we make room for Nash without the sign and trade we lose our exemptions
                          Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• TSN joins the party: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399676

Rumor is that Toronto has offered Nash 3yr/$36M, as had been previously rumored.

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post
                              Unless a sign and trade for Nash is done... with Calderon going the other way.
                              and if this is the scenario, we would still have to relinquish our exemptions and cap holds ( to make an offer above the mid level or through a sign and trade) as I believe we would be acting above the cap.

I guess my point through all this is that I am looking for ways not to amnesty Calderon. He has to have value throughout the league that I would not want to see us lose.

I also think the system is set up so that a team either acts within under OR over the cap rules not a combination of the two
                              Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• 3yr/36M is great if we can ship Jose out for exception without taking back salary. Follow up with amnesty of Amir (sucks but has to be done) Package up some assets for Pau (straight up with LA or with others teams if needed)

Comment

Working...
                                X