• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal the deal boys!

(And get us a swing!)
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• It's funny when you read all these "experts" going on about how the raps reached for Ross but they never mention who they should have drafted instead or that Houston was willing to trade for them.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Say No To Nash

Ok, let me be devil's advocate here and say that giving 36 million for the next three years to a 39 year old player who can only play 25-30 min. a game for us is not a great idea.

First of all he is a great player but I don't think it is the right time to give up all of our "flexibility" this early in the rebuild. Despite what many people on this forum believe, I am not one of those that subscribes to the belief that we are weak at the PG position. I hate to say it but Nash's numbers last year are comparable to Calderon's, and Nash is not getting any younger. I just don't see it being such a HUGE upgrade.

What would I do instead? Sign Ersan Ilyasova he broke out last year 13 pts/9 reb a game while shooting 45% from the 3PT line. This actually addresses a NEED that we have at this moment, not just a fantasy about "Captain Canada" which can be compared to mental masturbation. Ilyasova is a great defender, he can spread the floor, he brings toughness and rebounding.

Toronto management would love to sign Nash, because it will fill seats. (And he happens to be a very good player)

Let's not do the Hakeen Olajuwon thing again please.

Say No to Nash.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
          Ok, let me be devil's advocate here and say that giving 36 million for the next three years to a 39 year old player who can only play 25-30 min. a game for us is not a great idea.

First of all he is a great player but I don't think it is the right time to give up all of our "flexibility" this early in the rebuild. Despite what many people on this forum believe, I am not one of those that subscribes to the belief that we are weak at the PG position. I hate to say it but Nash's numbers last year are comparable to Calderon's, and Nash is not getting any younger. I just don't see it being such a HUGE upgrade.

What would I do instead? Sign Ersan Ilyasova he broke out last year 13 pts/9 reb a game while shooting 45% from the 3PT line. This actually addresses a NEED that we have at this moment, not just a fantasy about "Captain Canada" which can be compared to mental masturbation. Ilyasova is a great defender, he can spread the floor, he brings toughness and rebounding.

Toronto management would love to sign Nash, because it will fill seats. (And he happens to be a very good player)

Let's not do the Hakeen Olajuwon thing again please.

Say No to Nash.
          Any arguments based on cap space aren't really applicable, because Calderon will either be traded or amnestied. Even if the rumored $12M per season is true, that's only $1.5M more than Calderon is making this season, so it's not a huge hit to the team's cap space / roster flexibility.

Having Nash under contract for 3 seasons just gives the team more time to find the true pass-first floor-general PG-of-the-future, rather than having to reach for one this season or next. Even if Nash declines over the next 3 seasons, it's not as though he's going to go from all-star to scrub overnight, especially since his game is predicated more on brains/vision than athleticism. If we were signing a wing in his mid-late 30s, I'd being yelling "NO" from the top of my lungs, but PG is the one position that I feel safe going with a grizzled veteran.

The off-court benefits cannot be denied. The building will be packed to the raftors with ravenous fans for every single home game, creating an atmosphere that will fuel the team. Merchandise sales should increase as well, provind ownership with even deeper pockets to fund future spending (they better!). Bringing Nash in also gives the franchise increased credability around the league, should gain traction in American markets with additional games being broadcast, and should improve the the team's ability to lure top name free agents.

Yes he's older than Calderon (who's well into his 30s too), yes he's likely to decline while he's here and yes he is going to be making big coin... but I still firmly believe the positives outweight any negatives (real, perceived or expected).

Comment

• Insane money for a 38year old if the rumors are true. Surely he cannot keep it up at this level for 3 more years.

Having said that don't be surprised if Brookyln matches our offer.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Any arguments based on cap space aren't really applicable, because Calderon will either be traded or amnestied. Even if the rumored $12M per season is true, that's only $1.5M more than Calderon is making this season, so it's not a huge hit to the team's cap space / roster flexibility.
              It does effect our flexibility going forward because Calderon is an expiring contract this year, and now we are essentially adding another 1.5 million to this contract and rolling it over for another 3 years.

Don't get me wrong I love Nash, I think he is a great player, I would be down to get him for the 6-8 million range. But 12 million a year for 3 years, No thanks. He does not address any need that we have at this point, money can be spent wisely on an OJ Mayo/Ilyasova free agent in my opinion.

Comment

It does effect our flexibility going forward because Calderon is an expiring contract this year, and now we are essentially adding another 1.5 million to this contract and rolling it over for another 3 years.

Don't get me wrong I love Nash, I think he is a great player, I would be down to get him for the 6-8 million range. But 12 million a year for 3 years, No thanks. He does not address any need that we have at this point, money can be spent wisely on an OJ Mayo/Ilyasova free agent in my opinion.
                They can get both (Nash + another FA). There's also the trade route; now and/or approaching the deadline. While $12M might be 'unpalatable', a Nash contract alone will not hamstringing this team's cap flexibility seriously at all for the short or long-term future. They've worked the past 2 years to create this pile of money to use, and now they've got a scenario where they know the money out will be far exceeded by the money in (organization-wise). They'd be idiots not to do whatever it takes to sign Nash. And while it will make millions for MLSE, it will also pay dividends on the court. The guy just makes other players better. He turns mid-tier players into all-stars and bench guys into solid contributors. He builds camaraderie. He commands respect. What more do you want for $12M a year?
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

It does effect our flexibility going forward because Calderon is an expiring contract this year...
                  Actually, the contract doesn't expire till June 30, 2013. So they would have money tied up in Nash for two extra years. If the contract was front end loaded, for two years, with a player option for the third year, it might be enough. $12, 10, third year for $8 at Nash's option. He might be offered that somewhere else for the third year, or even be offered more money by another team. then it's only an extra one year beyond Jose's contract.

Comment

Calderon's expiring contract would do little for the Raptors next off-season. They're signing JV and Ross, plus next years' pick and the free agents this season. Then consider that guys will be coming up for new contracts soon. It's now or never on the cap space. Calderon expiring is worth nothing to us fans because it won't help move the roster forward.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                      They can get both (Nash + another FA). There's also the trade route; now and/or approaching the deadline. While $12M might be 'unpalatable', a Nash contract alone will not hamstringing this team's cap flexibility seriously at all for the short or long-term future. They've worked the past 2 years to create this pile of money to use, and now they've got a scenario where they know the money out will be far exceeded by the money in (organization-wise). They'd be idiots not to do whatever it takes to sign Nash. And while it will make millions for MLSE, it will also pay dividends on the court. The guy just makes other players better. He turns mid-tier players into all-stars and bench guys into solid contributors. He builds camaraderie. He commands respect. What more do you want for $12M a year?
                      From a business stand point, it makes total sense for the organization, they will definitely fill a lot of seats. Nash is a great player no doubt about it, it is an attractive option, but I would rather target a SF, and rebuild slower. Not bust our free agent load so early lol.

Comment

• crazy times indeed. Has anyone else see the m grange tweet that says part of the nash promotional video has the great one helping to make the pitch. How do you say no to 99?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          crazy times indeed. Has anyone else see the m grange tweet that says part of the nash promotional video has the great one helping to make the pitch. How do you say no to 99?
                          If Gretzky can't get it done, no one can.

They should have made it public that they want him. They could have easily organized some sort of fan event to show support for Nash to Toronto. Anyway, whatever they do you have to think Nash is going to have some interest.

Comment

• i just find this process hilarious. In two hours from now, is Colangelo really sitting in Nash's building's lobby twiddling his thumbs in his wedding tuxedo waiting to get buzzed up all while at the same time Prokhorov is giving him the death stare? If only youtube could get this.

Comment

• ok to go to bed. apparently no meetings until the morning

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                crazy times indeed. Has anyone else see the m grange tweet that says part of the nash promotional video has the great one helping to make the pitch. How do you say no to 99?
                                How fitting, one guy who left his longtime team for greater fortune and fame is trying to sell another guy to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X