No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash on the current roster is a major improvement. Will make everyone better, and will do it better than Jose Calderon. Plus the injury risk isn't there..

I think attracting stars would be nice, but BC isn't stupid to go out and run for players who are past their prime unlike before, for it will only stunt the growth, development, & future plans of the team. I.e. Jermaine O'neal trade, Turkoglu signing.

Nash helps the team short-term and long-term. We saw the effects he had in Pheonix now and in the past, he made everyone around him better, and they were able to get success year to year. Not only would he end his career here in T. dot, but would really expand on Canadian basketball..

Make it happen BC.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• If Nash can make Channing Frye, Marcin Gortat and Jared Dudley look good and compete for a playoff spot in the Western Conference, I can only imagine his impact on Jonas Valanciunas, Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan; ironically enough, I sincerely believe that the aforementioned Raptor players are better than what Phoenix has.

He mentioned in the interview that maybe he wished he had a defensive centre in his glory days in Phoenix; this is where BC can pitch -- hey, we have this talented 7 footer from Lithuania who could have easily been the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Nash also mentioned that he wants to be in a situation where he wants to be able to contribute to the growth of the organization, where he feels he would be relevant in a winning situation; paraphrasing.

I think that Nash could easily go to Miami, L.A., New York, etc. -- but he wouldn't necessarily be Mr. Relevant since these teams already have established superstars. Ie: In Miami, Nash wouldn't be anything more than a spot-up shooter who occasionally runs the pick and roll. In L.A., the team is constructed in a manner where isolation based sets showcase the individuals' talents (Bynum, Kobe). New York would be the other contender because Nash would bring stability to the franchise. Of course, it all depends on whether Melo accepts more of an off ball role, instead of the notorious hero ball.

Nash, at the end of the day, is an old school point guard. He likes having the ball to make things happen. I think he enjoys bringing the best out of players. What better situation than harnessing the many lottery talents that the Raptors possess, with 2 more (Ross & JV) coming in. Never mind the fact that he can do it in Toronto, Canada.

I really think that it would come down to Toronto, New York and Dallas; with the Knicks and Raptors as front runners. However, signing Nash means a lot more to Toronto for obvious reasons. He's a smart guy and he knows it. If he does not sign with the Raptors and chooses a city like New York or Dallas or Brooklyn, what message does that send to the franchise and the rest of the basketball world? That even a Canadian superstar prefers the glamour of playing in an American city (big market city) over a Canadian one? It means a lot more for Toronto and that is an understatement. It could make or break the franchise for years to come.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
        , what message does that send to the franchise and the rest of the basketball world? That even a Canadian superstar prefers the glamour of playing in an American city (big market city) over a Canadian one? It means a lot more for Toronto and that is an understatement. It could make or break the franchise for years to come.

i agree with everything said before this. i don't think it changes the perception of toronto in the league if he signs elsewhere. i think that if he signs with us, maybe others see toronto in a different light but signing elsewhere wouldn't tarnish the rep at all. with luck a big improvement happens next year and then a real image change can happen. i think 1-10 toronto is already a 1 so we can't really get worse.

if nash does sign somewhere else, i hope no one goes ballistic on him.

Comment

• Listen brother, all the Hulkamaniacs want Steve Nash to sign with Raptors Republic. What the Hulkamaniacs want, the Hulkamaniacs get. Remember Hulkamaniacs, take your vitamins and say your prayers.

Comment

• Knicks, Suns talk sign-and-trade for Nash, but Raptors can offer more
            Knicks Blog
            Berman on TwitterBy MARC BERMAN

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...#ixzz1zT4IOLSb

The Knicks opened free agency yesterday with a little more hope after coach Mike Woodson, owner James Dolan and their front-office contingent had an audience with Steve Nash and the club got the Suns amenable to working out a sign-and-trade to get the two-time MVP more money.

During a three-hour meeting, they brought him up to their practice facility in Greenburgh, N.Y., for a tour and told him of sign-and-trade scenarios in which they would be able to offer the point guard up to $8 million per year. Otherwise, the Knicks would have only their $3.09 million midlevel exception to attempt to lure Nash.

Tom Meinelt / Splash News
            N.Y. SKATE OF MIND: Veteran point guard Steve Nash, who lives in the West Village in the offseason, skateboards around Tribeca on Friday, two days before he had free-agent meeting with the Knicks and Raptors, with Toronto suddenly a favorite to sign the native Canadian.
            But a large Raptors contingent also invaded the Big Apple yesterday morning, meaning business, and Toronto is ready to offer Nash $30 million-plus in a 3-year deal, leaving the Knicks as longshots. The Nets plan to meet with Nash this morning.

The Knicks know they will need to add more salary to a sign-and-trade package to lift their offer, but still feel they have “a little shot,’’ as one person put it.

An ESPN report stated the Raptors offered Nash a 3-year, $36 million package yesterday, but a source close to the situation said that was “false’’ and the sides hadn’t gotten “that far.’’ The Raptors’ leaking of the $36 million offer could be by design to scare off the Knicks, Nets and Mavericks.

Still, Nash would make at least $10 million a year with Toronto in exchange for giving up any hope of winning an NBA title. The Raptors are trying to clear more cap space by dealing point guard Jose Calderon.

The next two point guards on the Knicks’ free-agent board are Jason Kidd and former Knick Raymond Felton. At least the Knicks have sign-and-trade possibilities as their ace in the hole if their $3.09 million midlevel exception doesn’t do it for Kidd or Felton, who plans to meet with the Suns.

Kidd is close friends with Tyson Chandler, his former Dallas teammate, and they share the same agent. Kidd is intrigued by the Knicks if he doesn’t join Deron Williams in Brooklyn or Dallas as a package.

The Nash sweepstakes is drawing to a close after yesterday’s back-to-back meetings — first with the Raptors, then the Knicks. Saturday night, Nash and agent Bill Duffy sat in the popular Aurora restaurant in Manhattan when both their cell phones nearly exploded at midnight, starting with the Knicks’ call.

The Knicks can’t offer as much money as Toronto, but offered better than their mini-midlevel as The Post reported yesterday after having talks with the Suns on a sign-and-trade.

One sign-and trade piece would be late-season signee Dan Gadzuric, who still has a non-guaranteed $1.7 million that can be waived by Phoenix. Free agent Landry Fields, guard Toney Douglas and center Jerome Jordan are other assets that can be used in the sign-and-trade.

But the allure of playing in his home country, for a lot of Canadian money, is expected to sway Nash, who lives in the offseason in the West Village.

“I definitely feel I want to be validated monetarily to an extent,” he said at his soccer event. “It’s still very important. I think money in many ways represents respect. For example, if you sign with a team and take half or less money, six months later, they trade you. It isn’t everything but it is important and will be one of the factors involved.’’

The Knicks sold Nash on the idea of being the final piece to a championship run and the slew of money that can be made as a star in New York. It was the same schtick they laid on LeBron James.

As for the Nets, Nash is point-guard insurance in case Williams leaves, or could be used as a starting backcourt pair. At the soccer event, Nash said, “Brooklyn is beautiful.”

Felton, meanwhile, is intriguing because the Knicks already know he has chemistry with Amar’e Stoudemire and can handle the pressure of New York.

Andre Miller, low on the Knicks’ point-guard wish list, reportedly will re-sign with the Nuggets.

The Knicks are in no rush to offer free agent Jeremy Lin the maximum early-Bird offer of 4 years for $24 million , as they will see what the market bears for him. Toronto figured in the Lin mix

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...#ixzz1zT4VnFfY

Comment

• Raptors go all-in for Nash,

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1zT53Wjfb

The Steve Nash sweepstakes heated up as expected Sunday, when the Toronto Raptors made their elaborate and aggressive pitch to bring the Canadian back to his homeland.

A Raptors source confirmed that Toronto offered the two-time MVP a three-year, $36 million deal, though a source close to Nash called that figure "premature." While offers can't be signed until July 11, it's clear that Toronto is all-in trying to make the 38-year-old point guard the face of its franchise.

Why would a team that was 23-43 last season, and is developing a young core, invest so heavily in a player of such advanced age, you ask? Because it's about basketball and business.

When the Bell and Rogers groups -- respective owners of rival sports television networks TSN and SportsNet -- agreed to buy majority interest of the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment company in December, their shared interest was rooted in a fear that MLSE was going to create a mega-network that would force their loss of Raptors and Leafs programming. The two companies, whose majority ownership is expected to be formalized within the next three months, decided that partnering with a competitor was better than being obliterated by a larger station that would likely have been built in the mold of the Knicks' MSG network. Nash's role in this business equation now, of course, would be to play the part of the Knicks' Jeremy Lin by driving up ratings and re-energizing a fan base that is still reeling from the loss of Chris Bosh to Miami two summers ago.

The Raptors could also use a spike at the gate. They've fallen into the league's bottom half in home attendance since Bosh's departure. Toronto ranked 17th last season (average crowd of 16,835) and was 19th in 2010-11 (16,566) after ranking as high as ninth overall during the Bosh era (19.435 in 2007-08).

2012 NBA Free Agent Tracker: Follow all the offseason moves

All of which helps explain the lengths the Raptors are going to beat out teams like New York, Phoenix, Brooklyn and Dallas in their pursuit of Nash. Beyond the contract offer that is likely to far surpass any others, Nash is also being sold on the chance to become even more of a local legend in Canada while possibly even using this as a segue to his post-playing career.

There is a growing belief by some that Nash could eventually have a role in the team's front office if he finished his career there, though sources said that topic was not discussed during the Raptors' pitch. Coincidentally, Nash -- who played under Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo in Phoenix after Colangelo persuaded him to sign there in 2004 -- was named the general manager of the Canadian national team in early May.

While the Raptors would appear to be the front-runner for Nash, there's a reason he told them Sunday that he would make a decision in the "next couple of days," according to one involved source. The Knicks, who also visited with Nash on Sunday, are known to be exploring sign-and-trade options that would allow them to pay Nash more than the three-year, $9 million mini midlevel he'd be limited to now in New York. According to ESPN.com, Nash will meet with Brooklyn on Monday. As for Phoenix, a return to the Suns continues to appear unlikely. They are not among the teams aggressively pursuing him in the opening days of free agency and, according to the Arizona Republic, have instead been focusing on free agents like Michael Beasley and Eric Gordon.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1zT5XYc00
              Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• "Still, Nash would make at least $10 million a year with Toronto in exchange for giving up any hope of winning an NBA title."

hate seeing this garbage. no way the knicks and nets are closer to a title then us. in the interview on truehoop tv they were talking new york as a title contender as well. garbage

forgot to thank you for the find. good article
                Last edited by Miekenstien; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• 36 million reasons for Rap fans to cry

I love steve Nash but 36 million to a 38 year old? WWWW TTT FFFF?

Yes they (MLSE/ROGERS/ BELL) will:
                  1) Pull in western Canada therby further justifying themselves as Canada's team
                  2) Sell a whack of jerseys - likely eclipsing ol' #15
                  3) increase their chances of getting in to the playoffs in 2012-2013

see a pattern here? $$$$

The downside?
                  1) all that cap flexibility/options BC has been bragging about over the past 2 seasons GONE
                  2) core players are under 25 Nash does not fit
                  3) Nash is not a great defender of the point so why hire Duane Casey?
                  4) whatever guard they try to get is not going to develop behind Nash so in a couple years you are back to square 1
                  5) for roughly the same money you could get Sessions and Johnny Flynn.

A move like this ensure the Raptors will remain in the cycle of lottery-to-average (maybe 7th/8th seed) First round fodder for a couple years and then back to the lottery.

These assholes want to make money nothing more - and yes they do think we are stupid.
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    "Still, Nash would make at least $10 million a year with Toronto in exchange for giving up any hope of winning an NBA title."

hate seeing this garbage. no way the knicks and nets are closer to a title then us. in the interview on truehoop tv they were talking new york as a title contender as well. garbage

forgot to thank you for the find. good article
                    Nash, with Melo, Amare, Chandler and guys like Novak and Shumpert could easily compete for tops in the east. Couple of bounces and they might be in the finals.

Nets are awful, so agree in that count.

Comment

• How? Melo likes to dominate the ball. You think he's going to defer to Nash so that Nash can do what he's known to do best? I don't.

Comment

• There's nothing new about New York's we're-better-than-everyone view.

Comment

• I'm surprised Nash would even consider NY after what they did to D'Antoni.

Brooklyn may get better too.. they are after Joe Johnson, and could get Dwight even if DWill leaves town. Not much room for improvement there but Nash/JJ/Wallace/Howard could be lethal.

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post

see a pattern here? $$$$

The downside?
                            1) all that cap flexibility/options BC has been bragging about over the past 2 seasons GONE
                            4) whatever guard they try to get is not going to develop behind Nash so in a couple years you are back to square 1

A move like this ensure the Raptors will remain in the cycle of lottery-to-average (maybe 7th/8th seed) First round fodder for a couple years and then back to the lottery.

These assholes want to make money nothing more - and yes they do think we are stupid.
                            Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there multiple conflicting sources regarding the offer?

I know I have read that it was 36 for 3 years (ESPN), and I have also read that the offer was not that, and the actual offer has not been leaked yet. The offer did look rather high.

So, I am not even sure this is the offer, it could just have been leaked by the Raptors to discourage other teams from making offers, if they know they are no where near as serious as the Raptors are, they might not even touch Nash. So, for the sake of this thread, let's say it is.

There is this misconception that bringing in Nash is all about the present. Win now, pay for it later. I disagree with that statement. I think having Nash is more about ushering in the future. What Nash does is make all the players around him better. JV, Demar, Ross, Bargs, and even ED/Amir, will get better playing with Nash. I think this is something that is being rather undervalued when people say we should not pursue Nash (even with an expensive price tag).

Now, I think the most important thing the Raptors need to do if or when they sign Nash, is get a solid young backup. Whether they trust Bayless (which I think will be the case) or they go out and get another young PG (through a trade, I am guessing), then we may be set for the future. If Nash can mentor this player into being a solid past first point guard (whoever this player might be), then I think we would be in a far better scenario for the future then we are without signing Nash. You say this guard will not develop, am I curious to why not.

Last year we talked about "changing cultures". Going from a bad defensive team to a good defensive team. What about the cultures of winning and losing? Derozan has never been on a team that has went .500 or above. Last time Bargnani was on a winning team, he was a rather different player. We have this young core that has never been in a winning culture. Maybe is is important we start to change that now.

Finally, think what it will do to the franchise financially. Bill Simmons claims that Nash signing with the Raps would be the "story of the year" (in a year where the Heat go for a repeat, Anthony Davis is a rookie, and Dwight Howard/ D-will could team up). This team would really get all of Canada behind it (you do not seem to be very happy about that since it also benefits MLSE, Rogers, and Bell).

So, in short, I respect your comments and opinions, but I strongly disagree.
                            Last edited by Red and White; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Doug Smith

The heavy lifting is done. Now all the Raptors can do is sit and wait for a decision from the most significant free agent the franchise has ever pursued.

Armed with what ESPN.com said was a three-year offer worth about $36 million, the Raptors made their pitch to Steve Nash in New York on Sunday.

Nash, who also met Sunday with the New York Knicks, is seen as the key ingredient to an accelerated building process the Raptors are trying to implement.

No one connected with the team would speak on the record about the meeting, which took about two hours. Nash’s representatives did not return a text seeking comment.

There is no firm indication of when Nash may make up his mind. Other serious suitors besides the Raptors and Knicks would include the Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks, both of whom are waiting on free-agent point guard Deron Williams to decide where he’s going. But according to league sources, Nash isn’t going to wait too long. A decision could come by the middle of the week.

Toronto’s contingent included minority owner Larry Tanenbaum, president/GM Bryan Colangelo, head coach Dwane Casey and former Raptor and Canadian national team coach Jay Triano. Michael Grange of Sportsnet.ca reported the Raptors also enlisted the aid of hockey icon Wayne Gretzky as part of their video presentation to Nash and his agent, Bill Duffy.

But it is going to take more than a glitzy presentation to entice Nash to a team that’s missed the playoffs for four straight years. It’s nice to think the tug of his home country and a chance to be part of a building process that will cement his Canadian legacy would be important. There are still games to be played, and wins and losses will play a role.

Meanwhile, the one current Raptor who will be most affected by Nash’s decision remains philosophical about his fate.

“I’m still a Raptor. Don’t know what’s going to happen,” Jose Calderon told the Star on Sunday. “When (something) happens, if (something) happens, my agents and myself will see what are the options, amnesty or trades. So I’m just thinking about the Olympics and my national team. And waiting for news.”

The Raptors may need to move Calderon’s salary — just over $10 million for one more season — to get to the financial commitment they’re prepared to make to Nash.

While they could do something like move or amnesty another player with a smaller deal, they may need to maximize their cap room to attract free agents other than Nash.

The Raptors aren’t flush with talent or experience, something Nash and his agents have to be aware of, and Colangelo has already said he wants to upgrade the team’s small forward position.

But all other moves have to be on hold until Nash makes up his mind. Free agents can verbally commit to contracts now, but nothing can be signed or finalized until July 11

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post

see a pattern here? $$$$

The downside?

i think that the back up guard can probably get near 20 minutes a night while learning and playing with steve nash everyday. it could literally be anyone. i also don't see nash breaking down physically and he isn't an injury risk. and we won't be signing nash to play defense

Comment

Working...
                                X