No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NBA is littered with financial casualties, like Allen Iverson and Antoine Walker, who both blew through more than $110 million in career earnings on gambling, shaky investments and large entourages. Steve Nash is not your typical NBA player or investor. The South African-born, Canadian-raised Nash is known for his uncanny court vision and is one of just 10 NBA players to win back-to-back MVP awards. He is fifth among the league’s all-time assists leaders.

His eye off the court is just as daring, as he has built a portfolio of nine investments that are mostly sports and health-centric, including Liquid Nutrition (juice retailer), OneBode (supplements), the Vancouver Whitecaps Major League Soccer club and a string of gyms that bear his name. “I want to build something special and be a part of exciting growth with different companies and at the same time not impact my kids’ chances of going to college,” says Nash.

Nash likes to integrate the companies in his portfolio, where OneBode’s supplements are available in LiquidNutiriton locations, as well as the 17 Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Clubs in Canada. His film production company does work for companies in the portfolio in addition to corporate gigs with the likes of EA Sports, Nike, Toyota and VitaminWater. Nash hopes “the sum is greater than the parts” when it comes to his investments.

Another venture is a marketing consultancy and venture capital firm, Consigliere Brand Capital, which he launched in 2010 with former Deutsche advertising executive, Michael Duda. The two became close when Nash did a three-month internship (unpaid) at Deutsch’s Manhattan office in 2008. “It is a great concept to merge venture capital and ad agency capabilities, so you can help grow a business with more than just your investment,” says the 38-year old point guard. Nash leaves the day-to-day work to Duda and his team, but looks to get more involved when his playing career is over.

Nash typically trades his time and endorsement for equity stakes in these businesses or gets a significant discount on his initial investment. If he likes what he sees after working with the company, he’ll invest more of his own money. Brandon Kou, who heads up Steve Nash Enterprises, says he looks at a couple of deals a week for SNE, mostly in the health and wellness, digital and mobile spaces. “The goal of Steve Nash Enterprises is to find interesting companies that are extensions of Steve’s passions and who he is,” says Kou.

Nash owns 8% of Liquid Nutrition, which went public last year and is a thinly traded micro-cap on the TSX Venture Exchange in Canada. He owns 10% of the sports club business and roughly 20% of OneBode. Dividends from his equity investments, along with traditional endorsements with the likes of Bridgestone, Dove and Sprint, generate $4 million annually for Nash—a sweet supplement to his NBA salary which was $9.4 million this past season (the NBA lockout cost him $2.3 million of his $11.7 million salary).

Nash is a free agent this summer and says he wants to play three more years before retiring and taking a more active role in SNE. His role model is another transformational NBA point guard. Says Nash, “Magic Johnson’s ability to network and partner with people and add value to brands he is involved with is a model I want to replicate.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...the-boardroom/
    LiquidNutrition - mainly through Quebec and expanding in to GTA and Vancouver (in addition to LA)
    OneBode - through larger Canadian markets
    Steve Nash Fitness World and Clubs - all in British Columbia

I could see a lot of business opportunities for Nash to expand his brand and business throughout Canada playing for the Raptors. In playing for the Raptors he suddenly becomes not only a household name to the basketball fan but also a household name to casual fans and non-basketball fans throughout the country.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      ...I could see a lot of business opportunities for Nash to expand his brand and business throughout Canada playing for the Raptors. In playing for the Raptors he suddenly becomes not only a household name to the basketball fan but also a household name to casual fans and non-basketball fans throughout the country.
      No doubt. The tie-in with fitness centres for a guy famous for his off-season regimen is a no-brainer. I could see him adding 15 centres in TO, no problem. And given the GTA, out to Oshawa in the east and Oakville in the west, maybe twice that.

Comment

• http://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/sta...67100109438976

Hearing that Nash won't want to come to NY. We can likely kiss that notion goodbye.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
          http://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/sta...67100109438976

Hearing that Nash won't want to come to NY. We can likely kiss that notion goodbye.
          And what does that have to do with the Raptors exactly?

Comment

• He's GM of that national team now as well. People keep mentioning how he has a condo in NYC. That's fine but look further, his roots seem to be firmly planted in his home land and him playing in Toronto could be gigantic for life after basketball. The kind of free marketing he would get would be invaluable.

The more I've been thinking about Nash in Toronto the more I like it. It goes against my basic logic because he is old and he will retire in the near future but on the other hand he brings so much to the table right now and I think it would be a great capstone to his career if he's know for helping pull the Raptors out of the basement and off on the right track. If they get him here I feel the Raptors need to have the right understudy behind him or there will be a huge lost opportunity.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              He's GM of that national team now as well. People keep mentioning how he has a condo in NYC. That's fine but look further, his roots seem to be firmly planted in his home land and him playing in Toronto could be gigantic for life after basketball. The kind of free marketing he would get would be invaluable.

The more I've been thinking about Nash in Toronto the more I like it. It goes against my basic logic because he is old and he will retire in the near future but on the other hand he brings so much to the table right now and I think it would be a great capstone to his career if he's know for helping pull the Raptors out of the basement and off on the right track. If they get him here I feel the Raptors need to have the right understudy behind him or there will be a huge lost opportunity.
              Totally agree. For me, it comes down to asset managment/maximization as well. Calderon and Nash are similar players and each likely only have a few years left (at least on the Raptors). On one hand, you keep Calderon until his contract expires or he re-signs for cheap and retires. On the other hand, you sign Nash as a free agent and use Calderon as good, $10M expiring contract trade chip. For me, signing Nash could effectively be a way of maintaining a veteran floor-general starting PG for the next 1-3 seasons, while ALSO adding another piece of the puzzle via a Calderon trade. As much as I like Calderon and fear Nash will breakdown more quickly away from Arizona, I'm warming to the idea, more for the residual benefit that would come from trading Calderon.

Comment

• Going into this weekend, the Suns view the Knicks, Raptors and even the Nets as their biggest competitors for Nash’s services. They are operating under the assumption that Nash will not go to a contender, although he has interest in Miami, where he would have to accept a lot less money than he will get to stay in Phoenix.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1wjubAw37

Comment

• This is for all the "Nash To Toronto Peeps":

LINK:
                  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

I would never pay him more than what the Suns are offering him. Especially at his age. Now I wanna see who's gonna say it's worth it, now. 1....2....3...
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

• GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                    This is for all the "Nash To Toronto Peeps":

LINK:
                    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

I would never pay him more than what the Suns are offering him. Especially at his age. Now I wanna see who's gonna say it's worth it, now. 1....2....3...
                    I could potentially see it being a worthwhile move for the Raptors. Calderon is over 30, injury prone and has an expiring contract worth $10M. Financially, the Raps would be no worse off if they offered Nash a contract worth $10M max. Plus, they could then trade Calderon for another asset (player, pick, cap space, etc). I think that would then make a Nash signing beneficial, which doesn't even take into account the off-court benefits (increased media exposure for the team, increased Canada-wide fan support and increased attendance numbers and jersey/clothing sales).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I could potentially see it being a worthwhile move for the Raptors. Calderon is over 30, injury prone and has an expiring contract worth $10M. Financially, the Raps would be no worse off if they offered Nash a contract worth $10M max. Plus, they could then trade Calderon for another asset (player, pick, cap space, etc). I think that would then make a Nash signing beneficial, which doesn't even take into account the off-court benefits (increased media exposure for the team, increased Canada-wide fan support and increased attendance numbers and jersey/clothing sales).
                      Don't forget the benefits for Nash to sign with Toronto.

Post 241 talks about his off-the-court Canadian business ventures that could really flourish with Raptor exposure.

Comment

• It's a nice thought to have (to have Nash in the fold), but the Raptors are just being used as pawns. Nash has made millions over his career, so it's a it difficult to believe when some are saying that he's just looking solely for one big payday. One's gotta think that he's gonna sign a contract to chase something that has elluded him his whole career - a ring.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          It's a nice thought to have (to have Nash in the fold), but the Raptors are just being used as pawns. Nash has made millions over his career, so it's a it difficult to believe when some are saying that he's just looking solely for one big payday. One's gotta think that he's gonna sign a contract to chase something that has elluded him his whole career - a ring.
                          There are a lot of media reports and quotes from Nash to the contrary. He has also said he is looking for market value.

Nothing is guaranteed in chasing a ring. There are many former great players who chased a ring only to fail.

Nash has made millions but it is obvious he has a lot of off court endeavours that are funded by his on court salary. $9-15M over 3 years to sign with a contender above the cap or $30M to sign with Phoenix or Toronto? That is a significant difference.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            There are a lot of media reports and quotes from Nash to the contrary. He has also said he is looking for market value.

Nothing is guaranteed in chasing a ring. There are many former great players who chased a ring only to fail.

Nash has made millions but it is obvious he has a lot of off court endeavours that are funded by his on court salary. $9-15M over 3 years to sign with a contender above the cap or $30M to sign with Phoenix or Toronto? That is a significant difference.
                            We're totally the pawns. We're the old-Clippers of the East. The Clippers would have all the cap room in the world and free agents would use the Clippers' offer in contract negotiations with other teams to get better terms in their salary. The biggest one that comes to mind is Kobe Bryant using the Clippers to get a better termed contract from the Lakers.
                            Like you said, he has business endeavors that makes him money. I don't think he wants to be remembered as a guy to be one of the best guys ever to play the game and not to win a ring.
                            You're right in the sense that he's not guaranteed to win anything going to a particular team, but he's got a better shot going to a team like the Heat or Lakers than the Raptors. He already planted the Miami seed earlier in th year.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              We're totally the pawns. We're the old-Clippers of the East. The Clippers would have all the cap room in the world and free agents would use the Clippers' offer in contract negotiations with other teams to get better terms in their salary. The biggest one that comes to mind is Kobe Bryant using the Clippers to get a better termed contract from the Lakers.
                              Like you said, he has business endeavors that makes him money. I don't think he wants to be remembered as a guy to be one of the best guys ever to play the game and not to win a ring.
                              You're right in the sense that he's not guaranteed to win anything going to a particular team, but he's got a better shot going to a team like the Heat or Lakers than the Raptors. He already planted the Miami seed earlier in th year.
                              I don't think Nash planted a seed. I think he answered a hypothetical question in a politically correct manner:

The hypothetical of LeBron James asking Nash to join up in Miami for one last push at a championship was brought up.

"I would listen," Nash said. "He's phenomenal. I love what they're doing there. A lot of people don't like them because they put all that talent there. But they're professional, they play hard, they play together. Their coaching staff has done a great job, so I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

"I would definitely listen."

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...eat-free-agent
                              Nash to the HEAT makes little sense to me. If they played with 2-3 basketballs on the court at one time, maybe. I can't see having 3 players on the court (Nash, LBJ, Wade) who need the ball in their hands to be most effective to be a recipe for success.

The beginning of the above has this statement regarding the Suns:

"I'm not coming back to the Suns if there isn't improvement," Nash told "The Dan Patrick Show".

Nash explained he's expecting the Suns to try to make those improvements, but that he's looking forward to becoming a free agent and deciding where to continue his career.
                              The rumour of the Suns offering Alonzo Gee 4 years/$16M does not sound like the kind of talent upgrade Nash would be looking for (should be noted this is nothing but hearsay).

I

Comment

• You're setting yourself for a lot of heartachce, man. A lot.

The fact that he mentioned Miami is pretty significant. Nash on the Heat means that it takes a lot of pressure off of Lebron (and Wade) to create. I think Nash to the Lakers makes more sense. They would have more of a need for him than the Heat.

Comment

Working...
                                X