No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally, I believe Toronto is the bottom of that list. That whole thing about "hitting the ground running" will be put to the test - and that means acquiring a solid 3. Maybe the Iguodala to Toronto rumours might have some legs.
    Portland has better pieces in place and I think they'd be the front runners. I think Phoenix is in second place on that list because he's been there for majority of his career and he's comfortable and familiar with the organization and city.

Comment

• I'd be shocked if he chose Portland. Nash will want a stellar training staff, and Portland has arguably the worst in the league.

Comment

• Nash will end up here in a sign and trade.

Comment

• If these teams are indeed the short list, then it's painfully obvious that winning a championship is not even on Nash's radar. So other than the proximity to Vancouver, Portland has nothing to offer. "Yay, I play in a city 400 km from my home town, in a profession where I'm not home half the year!". Portland doesn't make any sense at all.

As for Phoenix, what is there to think about? Nash already knows the system, the coaching staff, the players, the owner and the fan base. If his heart was set there, you'd think he'd already know it.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            If these teams are indeed the short list, then it's painfully obvious that winning a championship is not even on Nash's radar. So other than the proximity to Vancouver, Portland has nothing to offer. "Yay, I play in a city 400 km from my home town, in a profession where I'm not home half the year!". Portland doesn't make any sense at all.

As for Phoenix, what is there to think about? Nash already knows the system, the coaching staff, the players, the owner and the fan base. If his heart was set there, you'd think he'd already know it.
            I think you summed it up pretty nicely. Let's also note that while Portland is 400 km form his home town, it is a continent away from his current home, while Toronto is an hour and a half plane ride.

Besides, Matt said "Nash will end up here in a sign and trade." I rest my case.

Comment

• Portland's roster is much better than Toronto's - and that's not an overstatement. He could be surrounded by better talent, play closer to his home town and be closer to one of his business ventures (Vancouver White Caps). I can't see him wanting to come here unless Colangelo pulls off a deal to acquire a solid SF among other things ( but that's the big one)

Comment

• I admit Portland has the better roster, but it just doesn't feel like that matters much to Nash based on the fact that none of these 3 "finalists" are playoff threats of any kind.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  Portland's roster is much better than Toronto's - and that's not an overstatement. He could be surrounded by better talent, play closer to his home town and be closer to one of his business ventures (Vancouver White Caps). I can't see him wanting to come here unless Colangelo pulls off a deal to acquire a solid SF among other things ( but that's the big one)
                  No argument, but how much better? In the sense of "Are they going to contend for a championship or just sort of 'be good' for a few years?" I think that the question is important. Nash strikes me as the kind of person that wants to make a difference, not just hang out. I think his presence could have a much greater impact in Toronto than in Portland. Both teams finished 11th in their respective divisions. Portland is drafting a couple of spots ahead of TO this year, but the Raps have JV coming. And TO has the flexibility to make a major move ahead of the draft. The quality of their respective rosters could be much different by the start of the season in November. I think TO has a much better chance of improving their standing (with Nash here) and Steve might be interested in having that added to his list of accomplishments (and successfully integrating 2-3 new players into the Raps roster would be credited to him in large measure).

I'm just saying. I believe he would have a bigger impact, and get a lot more credit for his impact in Toronto. that would not hurt him in either his business interests or in his new position as GM Canada Basketball.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    No argument, but how much better? In the sense of "Are they going to contend for a championship or just sort of 'be good' for a few years?" I think that the question is important. Nash strikes me as the kind of person that wants to make a difference, not just hang out. I think his presence could have a much greater impact in Toronto than in Portland. Both teams finished 11th in their respective divisions. Portland is drafting a couple of spots ahead of TO this year, but the Raps have JV coming. And TO has the flexibility to make a major move ahead of the draft. The quality of their respective rosters could be much different by the start of the season in November. I think TO has a much better chance of improving their standing (with Nash here) and Steve might be interested in having that added to his list of accomplishments (and successfully integrating 2-3 new players into the Raps roster would be credited to him in large measure).

I'm just saying. I believe he would have a bigger impact, and get a lot more credit for his impact in Toronto. that would not hurt him in either his business interests or in his new position as GM Canada Basketball.
                    Portland will have a healthy Aldridge, a re-upped Batum, Wes Matthews, 2 lotto picks and a boat load of cap space. However, they have quite a few roster spots to fill. They're drafting a few spots ahead of Toronto because it's Brooklyn's pick from the Gerald Wallace deal (their own pick is 3 picks after Toronto at #11). If The Blazers weren't decimated by injuries, they would have made the playoffs. The Raptors couldn't have made that claim. Just having Nash alone in the lineup without significantly upgrading the roster isn't going to do much for this team. They *might* make the playoffs, but it'll be a gong show against Miami/Chicago/Indiana in the first round. I think the Blazers could go further with Nash in the lineup. However, with that being said, Portalnd does have a lot of roster spots to fill, so it remains to see how everything falls into place.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Toronto in the Nash sweepstakes - i think they do stand a good chance, but my gut instinct isn't so sure about it.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      Portland will have a healthy Aldridge, a re-upped Batum, Wes Matthews, 2 lotto picks and a boat load of cap space. However, they have quite a few roster spots to fill. They're drafting a few spots ahead of Toronto because it's Brooklyn's pick from the Gerald Wallace deal (their own pick is 3 picks after Toronto at #11). If The Blazers weren't decimated by injuries, they would have made the playoffs. The Raptors couldn't have made that claim. Just having Nash alone in the lineup without significantly upgrading the roster isn't going to do much for this team. They *might* make the playoffs, but it'll be a gong show against Miami/Chicago/Indiana in the first round. I think the Blazers could go further with Nash in the lineup. However, with that being said, Portalnd does have a lot of roster spots to fill, so it remains to see how everything falls into place.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Toronto in the Nash sweepstakes - i think they do stand a good chance, but my gut instinct isn't so sure about it.
                      I think Nash will be a Raptor at some point this summer... my source is my gut (my gut is fairly reliable, at least 50/50 on T/F questions). Just think he wants to finish in TO.
                      “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                      ― John Wooden

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post
                        I think Nash will be a Raptor at some point this summer... my source is my gut (my gut is fairly reliable, at least 50/50 on T/F questions). Just think he wants to finish in TO.
                        I hope you're right - and I hope Colangelo surrounds him with some talent. I'd like a Christmas in July.

Comment

• I think Toronto is at the top of his list. I think the appeal of playing in front of standing ovations night after night in front of his countrymen will be too difficult for him to pass up. Plus Colangelo will end up swinging for the fences if Nash signs. I'm not sure the other two have the potential to put exactly the team Nash needs around him right out of the gate.... I'm not necessarily saying I agree with this approach but it's sure as hell interesting.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Nash will end up here in a sign and trade.
                            Geez that snuck in there, eh? Almost missed it, and yet it was so BOLD. hahah

I love it; I was going to say, if Nash ultimately signs here, then we might have Matts unabashed Optimism to thank for it.
                            He's been on this before day one.

Comment

• It calls us a state. wtf

One of the most coveted free-agents this NBA off-season is Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash. Nash, who is 38 years old, is one of the very few players who, steroid or performing enhancing drug-free, has gotten better as he has gotten older. Nash averaged 12.5 points, and 10.7 assists per game last season while shooting 53% from the floor and 39% from the three point line. The .532 field goal percentage is the same that Nash shot during the 2006-2007 season, one season after he won back-to-back MVP’s.

So with Nash rejuvenating his career it is no surprise that many teams, including championship contenders like the Miami Heat,Oklahoma City Thunder and Los Angeles Lakers among others, are interested in Nash’ services. But those same teams, who will almost assuredly be in the NBA playoffs next season, may not evenhave a chance at acquiring Nash. Rumors are being floated around, via legitimate sources, that Nash has narrowed his list of possible destinations to three teams, the Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, and Phoenix Suns.

Now seeing that list of possible destinations may have thrown you a bit of a curve-ball, solely because the three teams on Nash’ list aren’t exactly teams who are expected to be championship contenders next season. And at the age of 38, going on 39, how much time does Nash really have left? But at the same time the list of possible teams is not that much of a surprise for a guy like Nash.

The Suns, for instance, are the team that Nash finished last season with, staying with them for another 2-3 years would make sense as Nash is a very loyal guy. The Raptors currently play in Canada, the same state where Nash grew up, and going back to your home roots is always an intriguing factor for guys at the end of their careers. The Portland Trail Blazers, although not as bad as the Raptors or the Suns, are the one surprise team on Nash’ list. There’s no real locational connection, as Nash currently lives in New York. The only thing I could think of is that Portland, located in the state of Oregon, is just a state away from Canada.

Whatever team does wind up with Nash, whether it be the Raptors, Suns, or Trail Blazers, they will get a player who is dedicated 110% to basketball, and who never stops working to improve his game."
                              http://www.rantsports.com/blog/2012/...eams-to-three/

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Geez that snuck in there, eh? Almost missed it, and yet it was so BOLD. hahah

I love it; I was going to say, if Nash ultimately signs here, then we might have Matts unabashed Optimism to thank for it.
                                He's been on this before day one.

Sneaky, sneaky sir.

Anyways....

If Nash was to leave Phoenix, Toronto is by far the front runner. I've littered reasons why throughout the thread but here is the rundown:

1) JT, BC
                                2) Canadian and instant national hero
                                3) the majority of his business ventures are Canadian based and what better way to expand and promote
                                4) money
                                5) Basketball Canada position
                                6) ALEX McKECHNIE
                                7) Toronto has expendable assets (Bayless, Weems, Forbes, 2nd round picks) to make it worth Phoenix's wild to make a trade happen giving the Raptors an opportunity to use cap space and bolster the roster BEFORE Nash were to join.

I think #6 cannot be emphasized enough. I feel that given how important training is to Nash, the only person in the league he would trust is

Comment

Working...
                                X