Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    If we sign Nash, I hope we can also sign Machado.
    As third string? Sure.

I'd want someone with some more experience playing the primary backup (Augustin, Hinrich, etc. or even Bayless).

Nash should only play about 30-32 minutes per game. That is a lot of backup time for an undrafted rookie.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I was and am a big proponent of signing Nash.

HOWEVER, I always thought around $10M per year. $2M is not a HUGE difference but it is a difference (20%).

If the Raptors do this, I hope it is via sign and trade. If not, the off season is over unless someone is amnestied and say good-bye to the Barbosa TPE, MLE, Bayless' rights, Gray's rights, and Weems' rights.
      They would have to renounce the rights to Bayless, Gray and Weems to make the offer if no one is amnestied?

I don't know the numbers but I'd hate to see Jose amnestied as he is a really nice trade chip for teams looking for a PG or cap flexibility. Sure would be nice to see a Jose JJ and Davis for Deng type of deal if Nash was brought in.

Nash/Bayless
      Demar/Ross/Forbes
      Deng/Kleiza
      Dre/Amir/Acy
      JV

Sprinkle in some solid vets like Grant Hill (Nash connection), Jamal Maglore, Aaron Gray and a third string PG and that looks legit. No idea if it's even a possibility with the cap but it would be a nice roster for Casey to work with.

Comment

• i think it was earlier in this thread when somebody said colangelo should let us in on the plans so we could give fan support. Is anyone reading the tweets from Rockets GM Morey? He is a new age (or unwise) gm

Comment

• Way too excited about the idea of Steve Nash playing Toronto. I really feel we have a great chance of landing him. I also read somewhere that BC had Wayne Gretzky on speed dial to plead Nash to play for T. Dot?

They are really serious about going after the 38 year old, but he has so much game left, fitness level of a 24 year old, one of the best point guards today and ever.

Make it happen BC. If this goes through, I see a contract extension.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Who to believe?

Sam Amick: Source confirms Toronto has offered Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million deal with no options attached. @ESPNSteinline had first. Twitter
            Marc Berman: Source repeats $36M offer to Steve Nash is "untrue.'' Won't say what offer was. Raptors may want the $36M number out there. Twitter
            I hope Berman is right.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Way too excited about the idea of Steve Nash playing Toronto. I really feel we have a great chance of landing him. I also read somewhere that BC had Wayne Gretzky on speed dial to plead Nash to play for T. Dot?

They are really serious about going after the 38 year old, but he has so much game left, fitness level of a 24 year old, one of the best point guards today and ever.

Make it happen BC. If this goes through, I see a contract extension.
              Unfortunately the decision might be made on the profitability of the club over the win/loss record.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Unfortunately the decision might be made on the profitability of the club over the win/loss record.
                Well, I mean, wheeling in Steve Nash is no easy feat. I just really hope this goes through.

Comment

• TICKET SALES, that is all.

Comment

• Raptors raising stakes.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/0...s=iref:nbahpt1

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – If you thought three years and $34 million was too much for the Boston Celtics to offer Kevin Garnett at 36, you’re going to cringe at what the Toronto Raptors are reportedly offering Steve Nash, 38, to return home to his native Canada to continue his career.
                    But if you feel the way we do about both of these NBA elder statesmen, the three years and $36 million the Raptors put on the table to Nash, per ESPN.com‘s Marc Stein, is right on the money for a player that could make the Raptors a factor in the Eastern Conference playoff chase as well as revive a franchise.
                    The Raptors are just one of several teams believed to be in the running for Nash, who is also being courted in free agency by the Suns, Mavericks and Nets. But they are the only one of the four capable of offering the two-time MVP the chance to come home and put more than just his face on Canadian basketball for generations of fans both old and young.
                    Nash playing for the home team would cause havoc, the good kind, for the Raptors. He would also be reunited with Raptors boss Bryan Colangelo, who as an executive in Phoenix years ago acquired Nash in free agency and set him on the path to those two MVPs.
                    But there is work to be done if the Raptors want to make this hoop dream a reality:
                    It has been widely anticipated that Phoenix would offer him a new two-year deal worth at least $20 million, but it remains to be seen how far Suns owner Robert Sarver will go when the bids start coming in.
                    The Arizona Republic reported Friday night that the Suns “do not appear willing to meet (Nash’s) wish for a three-year deal” and Suns officials are already fighting the perception that they selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick in Thursday night’s draft as the first step in dealing with Nash’s eventual departure.
                    Nash earned nearly $12 million last season and averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for a team that, with no 20-point scorer, nearly snagged the last playoff spot in the West.
                    Nash was born in South Africa but is a Canadian citizen and was even hired in May as general manager of the Canadian men’s basketball team.
                    This process will take better shape Monday, after Deron Williams meets with the Mavericks and Nets. If he makes an immediate decision about his future it should clear things up considerably for Nash, who has not set a timetable for finalizing his future plans.

Comment

• Steve Nash - Offer analysed.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...pen-everything

Some interesting quotes here that can really assure he is fit in Toronto.

Nash said he worries about the possibility of taking less money to play for a team he believes is a contender, only for one of its top players to be injured -- or worse, for him to be traded.
                      "The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is," Nash said. "You play against them so many times in the playoffs, and I just use them as an example, and I have the utmost respect for them and their organization.
                      "I kind of have that tendency (to try to beat the best teams), so it is strange, but as a free agent you're free to go where you want, so I'd have to consider everything regardless of the past or the future."
                      Really open minded guy, but a video also stated that Toronto is in the driver's seat, with the money, story-line, roster, management, connections, the want for a three-year deal.. Everything looks good right now. Only thing we really don't have, is assurance of competing for a championship, one thing people feel Nash needs more than just, "playing basketball." BUT, the analysts mentioned, Toronto to be a probable playoff team, and stated "Now, keep in mind, you're in the Eastern Conference, with that talent and Steve Nash, you put Steve Nash with just about anybody, you're probably a playoff team in the Eastern Conference. I would say the Toronto Raptors are in the drivers seat...."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...al-sources-say

Comment

• i am really hopeful for nash. i know it can't be officially announced until the 11th but it can be leaked right? the infamous sources can let us know it's a done deal?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          i am really hopeful for nash. i know it can't be officially announced until the 11th but it can be leaked right? the infamous sources can let us know it's a done deal?
                          OH what?! Announcements of signed players have to be waited upon the 11th?! Bull-shit! C'mon, haha, I've been reloading my NBA webpage over and over to see if the "Hang Time: Raptors offer Nash three-year deal" turns into "Hang Time: Raptors sign Nash to a three-year deal." :P

Comment

• Let's not assume at 38 Nash will be able to play all 3 years of his contract, so the urgency to find a long term solution to the pg spot should be here now....if we are able to sign him at all.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Let's not assume at 38 Nash will be able to play all 3 years of his contract, so the urgency to find a long term solution to the pg spot should be here now....if we are able to sign him at all.
                              Sign Nash, draft a point guard in the late first, assuming we make the playoffs. Or have faith in Bayless, or sign an undrafted point guard like Machado, or trade for one. Lots of options, but I think next season is where we can live well with a Nash/Bayless combo.

Signing Nash and filling the 3 spot are the biggest priorities right now. Re-signing Gray & Magloire, finding a way to use Jose as a trade asset, deal one of Ed/Amir, the qualifying offers of Bayless and Weems are going to be things thought of afterwards. This team will be built well for now and the future.

Comment

• At 38, I don't see Nash playing max. minutes even this year. A 3 year contract does not make any sense. If the Mavs offered him 20million/2 year he will be tempted to take it. Even if 36 million/3 year contract is true it doesn't really affect his net worth that much.

But I can agree to the sentiment of bringing Nash here at all costs. We need a couple of big time players like Nash and Gasol. Even if it turns out to be bad experiment. Its not like we have a roster loaded with young talent who are competing for playoffs. The way I see it, its either overpaid Steve Nash in a raptors jersey who will give us some credibility and might even make it attractive for some free agents or another wtf season.
                                Last edited by draftedraptor; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X