The battle of first pick (1) versus last pick (60) in 2011 draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The battle of first pick (1) versus last pick (60) in 2011 draft

There was a surprise winner to this individual matchup of rookie starting PG's:

Kyrie Irving (1): 23 points (8-21fg, 2-4 3pt, 5-5 ft), 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 steals, 2 blks, 4 to's

Isaiah Thomas (60): 23 points (8-16fg, 3-7 3pt, 4-5 ft), 8 rebounds, 11 assists, 0 steals, 1 blk, 2 to

More importantly for Irving, his team got the win, with Kyrie hitting 2 free throws with 0.4 seconds.

Why I would take Thomas over Irving:

He had a pretty solid college carrer playing amazingly in the Pac-10. No idea why he went last in the draft. Hes been playing well since the start of the training camp. Kings fans love him. He plays well under Smart. Hopefully he has a great career.

No doubt that Kyrie is more talented then Thomas but Thomas has some things that are just not teachable. He is a tough kid and he wants to win.

I will take him over Jimmer any day.

Comment

The number 4 pick, Tristan Thompson, also had a great game against the Kings last night. 15 points and 12 rebounds in 30 minutes.

Comment

Kyrie Irving could easily had 6-8 assists had Casspi, Jamison, or Gee made wide open shots so I would not read too much into the 1 assist for the game. Despite the 2 blocks, Kyrie played terrible defense once again; he just cannot keep quick guards in front of him. Kyrie is very good at playing the angles and he will be an offensive force to reckon for years to come. He's a better passer than his stats shows.

Isiah Thomas is very quick, fearless, and has a quick release. I was surprised to read he had 11 assists as I thought he looked for his shot first in half court set. Does very well passing when pushing the ball.

DeMarcus Cousins impressed me with his passing skills. He recognized the double-teams very early and made good decisions. His shooting around the rim needs to be improved but I think he will be a force if/when he does. Not interested in playing defense most of the evening.

Tigger made a great play in the second half when he drove from the top of the key in a half court set and converted the layup. It's the 4th or 5th time I have seen him drive like that; he's got a pretty good handle for a big man and I have seen him do spin moves a few times already. Already better than average defensively; he strong enough to push his man and quick enough to recover. He also jumps straight up and rarely fouls jump shooters. Needs to develop a 8-12 jumper and be better at recognizing the double and triple team.

Comment

jimmer is over hyped garbage. What have you seen him do this season besides throw up 3 point bricks? Isaiah Thomas is better than him and he was picked last.

Comment

I remember saying around here somewhere that the Raptors should try to make a play for Isiah Thomas on draft night. Most said he was too small and would be a liability on defense. While they may turn out to be right about that, for where he was taken he was a man among children from the talent standpoint. I'm glad that he's working out so well.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I remember saying around here somewhere that the Raptors should try to make a play for Isiah Thomas on draft night. Most said he was too small and would be a liability on defense. While they may turn out to be right about that, for where he was taken he was a man among children from the talent standpoint. I'm glad that he's working out so well.
              Yah do you think the Lakers are smacking their heads against the wall for drafting Ater Majok(!!!) instead of Thomas considering their PG woes?

Comment

Working...
              X