Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbihis wrote: View Post
    I dont know why they have to be diplomatic about it, i think it hurts the players even more if there indeed was an offer and the trade was consummated. I guess they wouldnt really care how the player feels coz, well, the player is no longer with the team. But i think withholding any potential transactions does more damage than good.
    But there is no deal consummated. His spin on the rumours as I read it is that he is complimenting Jose on his play, admits there have been contacts as a result.... but that there is nothing on the table. Thats the diplomatic part. What he does not reveal (and possibly not know) is how close they might be on a deal for one party to put an offer on the table which is how it should be for the public's consumption. We of course have no idea if Jose has been advised about the nature of any discussions. We'll know in the next day or so or wait till Mar 15. Excuse the long winded explanation.

Comment

• i wonder if its a ploy by casey to keep everyone focused.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        i wonder if its a ploy by casey to keep everyone focused.
        Sure, definitely. On a human level, Jose went thru this last year and has been amazingly professional about it all. The other player Barboza has also been traded before and knows for sure that he is likely to be moved.

Comment

• Chisholm: Calderon could be useful trade bait for Toronto

Tim Chisholm looks at trading Calderon in a good read here. In case you are too lazy to read the whole article, here is what I consider the money shots:

The idea is that if the Raptors could get a good (even if not great) young point guard in return they should seriously consider moving Calderon. If they can get cap space without having to waste their amnesty on Calderon, they should consider it. If they can improve their draft position or acquire a top-20 pick, they have to at least take the offer seriously. The point of the recent posturing is to see if the Raptors can shake loose the kind of assets that they would want from a team looking to acquire Calderon. If they can, then great for them. If the cannot then they can act as though they were never considering moving him, keep him feeling loved and respected in the locker room, and know that they did their due diligence on his market value and couldn't get anything done. It happens.

It bears mentioning, of course, that the idea of trading Calderon just to trade him is not what we're talking about here. With each day that goes by his contract gets less and less onerous as it inches towards completion, which makes his trade value all the more potent. His value to the club, as stated by Casey and as evidenced by watching him play, is real and should not be taken for granted. Also, there may be one huge reason to keep him around for not only this year but all of next year as well, and his name is Jonas Valanciunas.

The Raptors have so much invested in Valanciunas that they are going to do whatever they can to ease his transition to the team and the NBA next season. One easy way to do that? Exploit the things he can already do well while you try and teach him all of the things that he can't yet do at the NBA level. That means taking his stellar pick-and-roll abilities and pairing them with one of the best pick-and-roll point guards in the NBA. You know how Calderon makes Amir Johnson look like a passable offensive player by running the pick-and-roll with him? Imagine that play run exponentially more effectively with Valanciunas and you get an idea of how valuable Calderon could be to Valanciunas' transition next season.

Just don't buy the line the team is selling about his availability. They are doing exactly what they should be doing, playing the trade deadline game exactly like it should be played, and if a deal comes around that makes sense for the team to execute, they're going to execute it. It's impossible to assess the advisability of any potential move without knowing all the factors involved, but know that the team is as aware of what Calderon offers as any team in the NBA and they are thus uniquely positioned to measure him relative to their own future as well as to potential trade offers.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Tim Chisholm looks at trading Calderon in a good read here. In case you are too lazy to read the whole article, here is what I consider the money shots:
            Good piece. Wonder if he got any help from the Raps pr people

Comment

• Pretty much what some of us have been saying all along - trade him if it makes sense for the team long term, but not simply for the sake of trading him.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

You guys think the blazers make a move for a big with oden out for the year? i know the news is shocking to everyone, but clearly they can't bank on him and i read rumors of the blazers cutting him outright.

amir/ed for batum maybe?
                I would make that sign and trade in a HEARTBEAT. Forget all this talk about Chandler. Batum is who we should be after. He can play the 2 or 3. Can jump right out of the gym, shoot the three, attack the rim and play defence. What's not to like? And if it takes trading DD for him, I'd do that too.

Comment

• Anyone else think there won't be any trades? If there was something for Barbosa or Jose we would've heard by now. Barring a minor trade (Butler for a years subscription to Maxim) I don't see anything happening.

Usually wherever there's smoke theirs fire but it's looking more like hot air.

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

Anyone else think there won't be any trades? If there was something for Barbosa or Jose we would've heard by now. Barring a minor trade (Butler for a years subscription to Maxim) I don't see anything happening.

Usually wherever there's smoke theirs fire but it's looking more like hot air.

I think it all comes down to Howard. Not only are the Raptors directly tied to his situation (rumored 3-way trade and possible cap space to make offer to Chandler), but I think the entire league is indirectly tied to it, as he is the first domino to potentially fall. I think there are several teams that have him as their top priority (LA, NJ, Dallas, Golden State, etc...) and they won't move onto secondary options until the Howard situation is resolved. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams have a lot of deals quite far along (if not actually agreed upon already), that are dependent on various outcomes for Howard's situation.

BC has actually confirmed rumors that there is significant interest in several of his players, which I think is big for a guy who typically plays it extremely close to the vest. BC and Casey are both saying all the right things in the media, that simultaneously set the team up to be happy with the group they have or to make substantial changes. I'd be a little suprised if nothing happens to the Raptors roster at/before the trade deadline.

Comment

• I also wouldn't be surprised if the deadline comes and goes without anything in Raptorland happening (much like the overhyped NHL trade deadline).

Chisolm makes a good point about keeping Calderon for Valanciunas' development. But on the other hand, if a top 20 pick is offered, that provides much more value to this team than 1 year of Calderon passing to a rookie.

Comment

Interesting read. This same thinking might have Colangelo looking at selling Steve Nash on finishing his career as the "hometown hero" in his homeland.

Comment

Pretty much what some of us have been saying all along - trade him if it makes sense for the team long term, but not simply for the sake of trading him.
                          So NOT trading him to the Lakers for nothing more than a Draft pick and Cap Space? Haha

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Chisolm makes a good point about keeping Calderon for Valanciunas' development. But on the other hand, if a top 20 pick is offered, that provides much more value to this team than 1 year of Calderon passing to a rookie.
                            Calderon for a Top 20 pick is not worth it in my opinion.
                            We'd need something besides the pick coming back our way I'd imagine.

And its not just 'Jose passing to a rookie and making him look good'.
                            Its Jose being the Consumate Floor Leader that he is and helping transition a young Big Man into the NBA the BEST way possible.
                            And thats by teaching him on the floor. And Jose does that better than almost anyone in the league.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Calderon for a Top 20 pick is not worth it in my opinion.

And its not just 'Jose passing to a rookie and making him look good'.
                              Its Jose being the Consumate Floor Leader that he is and helping transition a young Big Man into the NBA the BEST way possible.
                              And thats by teaching him on the floor. And Jose does that better than almost anyone in the league.
                              True.

The only person I could think who would be better than Jose would be............... (hint: a Canadian).

Comment

The only person I could think who would be better than Jose would be............... a Canadian.
                                Haha Touche.

Whether or not Jonas is enough to sell Nash on playing here, I have no idea.
                                I'd guess not, though.

Now if you were talking about Kabongo, his Pick and Roll isn't nearly as polished. haha

Comment

Working...
                                X