Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I don't know if using DeRozan as a measure of efficiency paints the most accurate picture. He's been pretty inefficient too, with the exception of the recent stretch of games.
    I used him because Derozan plays the same position for us.

He also has a higher FG% then:
    Carmelo Anthony
    Danny Granger
    OJ Mayo
    Deron Williams

And is just behind: (by.006 at most)
    Kevin Martin
    Luol Deng
    Kyle Lowry
    and Joe Johnson

Comment

How can you say "5 more years" with such confidence knowing Calderon's injury history? He ain't getting any younger.
      Kobe's in his 16th year and still going strong. He's had a couple of consecutive injury plagued seasons and he's still going strong.

Ray Allen had a couple of injury plagued seasons in Seattle and is now in his 17th year and still playing 34mins a night.

Steve Nash had some 40,50,70 game seasons in Phoenix and Dallas and is now in his 17th year and still playing 32mins a game.

Why can't Calderon have another 5 years?

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
        Kobe's in his 16th year and still going strong. He's had a couple of consecutive injury plagued seasons and he's still going strong.

Ray Allen had a couple of injury plagued seasons in Seattle and is now in his 17th year and still playing 34mins a night.

Steve Nash had some 40,50,70 game seasons in Phoenix and Dallas and is now in his 17th year and still playing 32mins a game.

There are exceptions to every rule but those players are not the norm nor do they play international ball every summer. They are all well-known fitness fanatics - like freaks. They train like few other NBA players have ever done before or do now. I'm not talking skill development either - strength, core, flexibility, cardio - they do the total package.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          There are exceptions to every rule but those players are not the norm nor do they play international ball every summer. They are all well-known fitness fanatics - like freaks. They train like few other NBA players have ever done before or do now. I'm not talking skill development either - strength, core, flexibility, cardio - they do the total package.
          hahaha i kinda knew somebody was gonna present an "exception to the rule" type thing. or maybe that its not all the same injury, etc, etc.

my point is, if every player is forecasted to "not play efficiently for the next 5 years" because of age and history, every player will already be retired by the age of 25.

Comment

Like Matt eluded to, it's the same reason why I don't look at Steve Jobbs and Mark Zuckerberg and say to myself, "if they can be billionaires, why can't I?" They're exceptions to the rule. There are far more people who don't become billionaires than those that do.

This example is obviously exaggerated, but you get the idea. There are far more NBA players whose bodies begin to breakdown on the wrong side of 30, than those that don't.

If you're a gambling man, you might stick with Calderon and hope he stays healthy. If you prefer not to take that risk, you move on with your next PG.

Comment

hahaha i kinda knew somebody was gonna present an "exception to the rule" type thing. or maybe that its not all the same injury, etc, etc.

my point is, if every player is forecasted to "not play efficiently for the next 5 years" because of age and history, every player will already be retired by the age of 25.
              With rebuilding teams, there is no reason to hold onto aging players who eat up large portions of the cap.

The Spurs run with Duncan because they're championship contenders. The same with the Lakers and Kobe, or Dallas and Dirk/Kidd.

But it makes very little sense for the Raptors to hold onto Calderon today if they can get good pieces in return. This rebuild is far from one or two moves away from completion. The PG spot is a hole that will eventually need to be filled.

If the Lakers were in the lottery the past 3 seasons, I guarantee they'd be looking to move Kobe as they begin the rebuild too.

Anyways, back to the original point. It's entirely possible that Calderon might play at a high level for 5 more years. But how can anyone confidently say it'll happen?
              Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Mar 5, 2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Like Matt eluded to, it's the same reason why I don't look at Steve Jobbs and Mark Zuckerberg and say to myself, "if they can be billionaires, why can't I?" They're exceptions to the rule. There are far more people who don't become billionaires than those that do.

This example is obviously exaggerated, but you get the idea. There are far more NBA players whose bodies begin to breakdown on the wrong side of 30, than those that don't.

If you're a gambling man, you might stick with Calderon and hope he stays healthy. If you prefer not to take that risk, you move on with your next PG.
                hahaha yeah, that is a bit exaggerated. I dont know you personally, but im guessing the only thing you have in common with those two you mentioned, is you live on the same planet.

But Calderon, compared to the "exceptions to the rule" is not far off. They all go through the same regiment every season, training, conditioning, etc. Calderon has been injured, but it was never career threatening. And he was never rushed back coz they had TJ and Jack backing him up so im guessing, lets say in the 15 games he missed, only 8 or 9 was really because of the injury, and 6 were precautionary. And in FIBA, he averaged what, 20-25 mins a game for 8-10 games? i really dont think thats very much. And like i said, with Navarro and Rubio, he's lucky to even play 15mins from now on.

Comment

hahaha yeah, that is a bit exaggerated. I dont know you personally, but im guessing the only thing you have in common with those two you mentioned, is you live on the same planet.

But Calderon, compared to the "exceptions to the rule" is not far off. They all go through the same regiment every season, training, conditioning, etc. Calderon has been injured, but it was never career threatening. And he was never rushed back coz they had TJ and Jack backing him up so im guessing, lets say in the 15 games he missed, only 8 or 9 was really because of the injury, and 6 were precautionary. And in FIBA, he averaged what, 20-25 mins a game for 8-10 games? i really dont think thats very much. And like i said, with Navarro and Rubio, he's lucky to even play 15mins from now on.
                  Ok, we'll agree to disagree on Calderon's perceived injury risk. But let's simplify the discussion a bit.

Why does a rebuilding Raptors team need to hold onto a 30 year old player who isn't considered a superstar?

I can't think of one reason that outweighs the benefits of cap relief/draft picks that we'd gain in a Calderon trade.
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Mar 5, 2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

The exception to the rules was actually an afterthought. Here was my main point as it was clearly lost:

They are all well-known fitness fanatics - like freaks. They train like few other NBA players have ever done before or do now. I'm not talking skill development either - strength, core, flexibility, cardio - they do the total package.

Kobe Bryant:

MF: Can you give us some insight into your training routine, both off-season and during the season?
                    Kobe: During the season, I focus a lot on weight training, obviously building up my strength level as the season progresses. In the off-season, it's about getting stronger as well, more agile. Also, conditioning plays an important part in that, because you want to make sure you come into the upcoming season in tip-top shape. Then, obviously, you want to get on the basketball floor and work on your skills.

MF: In the off-season, you probably spend many more hours training, is that right?
                    Kobe: During the season, it's probably about four hours or so a day, with practice and extra work.

MF: So specifically though, in the off-season, what kind of weight lifting are you doing? Is it explosive movements, like plyometrics?
                    Kobe: Not really, it's all Olympic lifts. I do a lot of track work.

MF: So like snatches, things like that?
                    Kobe: Yeah, clean-pulls, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, back squats, things of that nature.

MF: One of the most impressive aspects of your game is your stamina – your ability to play so many minutes per night at such a high level. If you could pass along some tips on how to get bigger, obviously, but also to stay agile and have extra energy, would you recommend Olympic lifts?
                    Kobe: That helps tremendously. I think it's a combination of lifting weights and doing a conditioning program. Whatever your program is, the key is to push yourself to a level where you're hurting. You can't gain conditioning without going through it. You're going to have to feel some pain, you're going to have to feel like your lungs are burning, and you know, you want to spit up blood, that sort of thing.

MF: Sure. So what kind of cardio do you have to do – I'm imagining that during the games and practice, you get plenty –
                    Kobe: No, but I do a lot more. When I get on the basketball floor, it's about fine-tuning my skills, it's not about conditioning. My conditioning comes from just running, whether it's on a track, or on a field, or on the court itself, just doing suicides, or sprints.

MF: So it's just a technique thing, shooting jumpers, things like that?
                    Kobe: Yeah, it's something I can do over and over, so I'm in great shape.

MF: How many do you shoot in a day?
                    Kobe: It's between 700 to 1,000 makes a day.

MF: How has your training program changed over the years? You're already becoming a veteran of the league.
                    Kobe: It's become more efficient. I'm not just doing a whole bunch of things. I think when you first come into the league, you kind of figure out what works best for your body, what wears down your body, what doesn't, recovery, what works best in that area. I've been in the league 10 years, 11 years now so I know exactly what works and what doesn't work for me.

MF: Do you have any training tips, aside from Olympic lifts, that you'd recommend to younger basketball players?
                    Kobe: The thing that I tell them all the time is consistency. If they watch me train, running on a track, it doesn't look like I'm over-exerting myself. It's a consistency with which you do it, in other words, it's an every-day-thing. You have a program, and a schedule, and you have to abide by that, religiously. You just stick to it, and it's the consistency that pays off.

MF: If you could pinpoint one part of your game – and this would really be nitpicking – what would it be?
                    Kobe: It depends – I usually make those evaluations at the end of the season, along with Phil (Jackson) and the coaching staff, and break down the season and how I progress, and how I evolve as a player, go into the summer with a plan, exactly what I need to work on.

MF: So that's every summer? You break your game down?
                    Kobe: Oh yeah. You have to.

http://www.mensfitness.com/leisure/e...nt/kobe-bryant

Steve Nash:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

The second point which was lost is Nash doesn't play basketball in the off season - let alone international ball! Allen doesn't play international ball. Kobe has played - exception to the rule who is also the youngest of players mentioned.

Comment

With rebuilding teams, there is no reason to hold onto aging players who eat up large portions of the cap.

The Spurs run with Duncan because they're championship contenders. The same with the Lakers and Kobe, or Dallas and Dirk/Kidd.

But it makes very little sense for the Raptors to hold onto Calderon today if they can get good pieces in return. This rebuild is far from one or two moves away from completion. The PG spot is a hole that will eventually need to be filled.

If the Lakers were in the lottery the past 3 seasons, I guarantee they'd be looking to move Kobe as they begin the rebuild too.

Anyways, back to the original point. It's entirely possible that Calderon might play at a high level for 5 more years. But how can anyone confidently say it'll happen?
                      Very good point. But i dont think salary was the initial issue. If the Raps can get a GUARANTEED 11/3/8, floor leader, locker room leader for less than 10mil a year then by all means, yes. Do it.

But if youre trading Calderon because he "might" not perform efficiently for the next couple of years, then IMO, thats wrong. He's started in all 37 games this year at 33mins a night, with a number of back to backs and back to back to backs. Looks like he's just fine.

Comment

All NBA players go through the same regiment every season? Are you serious? And even if they did go through the same training program, do you think they all work at the same intensity and with the same focus?

Calderon's injuries have been nagging and persistent muscle and joint tweaks that are classic overuse injuries. If Calderon doesn't play international ball and does the Steve Nash off season program with the same drive and intensity that Nash does it, then sign me up for 5 more years of Jose. But he is not going to stop playing international ball and because of that he will never do the type of off season training and conditioning that Steve Nash does.

I didn't realize we had a Raptor training/medical staff person posting here. You guess? With what experience and expertise? Lets assume you were correct they were precautionary, that still didn't help explain the numerous other games when he was not 100% and we had to listen to announcers and coaching staff tell us how banged up he is and read about his ongoing struggles. How soon the faithful forget.

Yes, Calderon is only going to play 20-25 minutes in 8-10 games. Never mind all the other practice and sport-specific training that goes in to playing for your national team - plus tune up tournaments and friendly games.

If the Raptors keep Jose and he is injured next year, I have numerous comments in mind I will go back and find. And if I am wrong, then I will certainly eat my share of crow. I do feel more comfortable with the probability heavily weighted to my side though.

Comment

Very good point. But i dont think salary was the initial issue. If the Raps can get a GUARANTEED 11/3/8, floor leader, locker room leader for less than 10mil a year then by all means, yes. Do it.

But if youre trading Calderon because he "might" not perform efficiently for the next couple of years, then IMO, thats wrong. He's started in all 37 games this year at 33mins a night, with a number of back to backs and back to back to backs. Looks like he's just fine.
                          It is well noted that Jose is not a locker room leader - great guy, great teammate, yes; leader, no.

He also had a 4 month layoff in between EuroBasket and starting an abbreviated training camp and season.

The thing you have not addressed in any posts is his national team commitment.

Comment

Ok, we'll agree to disagree on Calderon's perceived injury risk. But let's simplify the discussion a bit.

Why does a rebuilding Raptors team need to hold onto a 30 year old player who isn't considered a superstar?

I can't think of one reason that outweighs the benefits of cap relief/draft picks that we'd gain in a Calderon trade.
                            No doubt, and i dont think i've ever lobbied for Calderon staying because of his salary. Like i said, my only issue is, trading Calderon if it is "assumed" that he will not play as efficiently within the next 5 years.

Comment

Because he makes other players -- esp. young ones who otherwise struggle to find their place in the offense -- better, and his talent for doing so is a very rare commodity in the NBA. This aspect of his abilities is what makes him a really good fit for the current Raptors team, a better fit than the vast majority of current NBA PGs.

I'm not ignoring "injury history", I'm just not putting a premium on it for a guy who, if he stays in Toronto past this current contract, is destined to be making in the $6-7M range and be playing no more than 25 minutes a game by the 2013-14 season. If he misses 10 games next season, that's not really a concern. If he misses more than that, then they better have a good backup -- but that's the case right now, too, isn't it?

It seems to me the worry about the PG position shouldn't be Jose, who is clearly among the top 5-10 game managers in the league, but rather whoever is stepping in for him when he needs a break. Fill THAT spot first, worry about your "future backup" later...
                              Last edited by jimmie; Mon Mar 5, 2012, 05:53 PM.
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                All NBA players go through the same regiment every season? Are you serious? And even if they did go through the same training program, do you think they all work at the same intensity and with the same focus?

Calderon's injuries have been nagging and persistent muscle and joint tweaks that are classic overuse injuries. If Calderon doesn't play international ball and does the Steve Nash off season program with the same drive and intensity that Nash does it, then sign me up for 5 more years of Jose. But he is not going to stop playing international ball and because of that he will never do the type of off season training and conditioning that Steve Nash does.

I didn't realize we had a Raptor training/medical staff person posting here. You guess? With what experience and expertise? Lets assume you were correct they were precautionary, that still didn't help explain the numerous other games when he was not 100% and we had to listen to announcers and coaching staff tell us how banged up he is and read about his ongoing struggles. How soon the faithful forget.

Yes, Calderon is only going to play 20-25 minutes in 8-10 games. Never mind all the other practice and sport-specific training that goes in to playing for your national team - plus tune up tournaments and friendly games.

If the Raptors keep Jose and he is injured next year, I have numerous comments in mind I will go back and find. And if I am wrong, then I will certainly eat my share of crow. I do feel more comfortable with the probability heavily weighted to my side though.
                                hahahaha if Tim is to Bargnani, Matt is to Calderon staying in Toronto!

Im not sure if i need to apologize, but i figured none of us here is really an expert on the Raptors, or player's conditioning or what not, so everything that gets posted is pretty much an "In my opinion" type thing. I thought it was a given.

Its pretty much the same argument with Bargnani, if he sustains improvement, then we're all happy, if he regresses, trade him. And that always been my contention, you cant predict the future, and there's always a possibility the future is not written by history. Calderon maybe injured next year, he may play another 8 years like Nash.

In my personal opinion, my personal belief, Calderon can still play efficiently with minimal to no games missed within the next 5 years. But i could be wrong. Im no expert! hahaha just kidding matt.

Comment

Working...
                                X