X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Midseason Report Card: D

NBA.com

Frontcourt:
    Andrea Bargnani was off to a strong start, but has missed 18 games with a calf injury. Amir Johnson and James Johnson have provided defense, but not much offensively. GRADE: D

Backcourt:
    Jose Calderon is having another efficient season, leading the league in assist/turnover ratio and shooting much better than he did last year. But DeMar DeRozan has been inconsistent. GRADE: C

Defense:
    After two straight seasons as the worst defensive team in the league, the Raptors have found a way to get stops under Dwane Casey. They're the third-most improved defensive team, behind Minnesota and New York. GRADE: C+

Bench:
    Leandro Barbosa, Jerryd Bayless and Linas Kleiza are all averaging double-figures off the bench, but none of the three has been all that efficient. They've combined to shoot just 41 percent. GRADE: C

Coaching:
    Casey immediately began repairing the Raptors' biggest problem: defense. He'll need more talent to get them functioning offensively again. GRADE: B

Summary: D
    The Raptors have started over. This season is about establishing a new system and new culture in Toronto, with wins and losses coming after player and team development on the priority list.

The future includes No. 5 pick Jonas Valanciunas and a 2012 lottery pick, as well as a handful of young players already in uniform. Two of those are DeRozan and Ed Davis, both just 22 years old.

DeRozan and Davis have had up and down seasons thus far. And for the sake of the Raptors' future, they need to show more consistency and progress over the next two months.
    -John Schumann
    NOTE: These are according to NBA.com.

What do you guys think?

Agree? Disagree?

I personally think its probably one of the more balanced and insightful summaries of what this team is right now.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:27 PM.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    What do you guys think?

Agree? Disagree?

I personally think its probably one of the more balanced and insightful summaries of what this team is right now.
    I suppose I agree in principle to your grading here, but I think we need to grade the team not against the other teams in the league, because there is no doubt that we have less talent. I think we have to grade them against what the expectations for them at the beginning of the year. I think they have done well against the preseason expectations with a few notable exceptions.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
      I suppose I agree in principle to your grading here, but I think we need to grade the team not against the other teams in the league, because there is no doubt that we have less talent. I think we have to grade them against what the expectations for them at the beginning of the year. I think they have done well against the preseason expectations with a few notable exceptions.
      Beat me to it. I never know how these things are graded: against expectations or NBA-wide curve. In this case, I'm not sure it matters. Bargs has played well and deserves a B+ (damn injuries). I'd give Calderon a B- cause of the consistency issues. Everyone else is no better than a C. Derozan deserves an F. Davis a D. James Johnson and Barbosa get Cs. Bayless is INCOMPLETE. Everyone else is irrelevant. The offense is an F. The defense, I'll go C for a middle of the pack team. Coaching is an INCOMPLETE.

Comment

Seems like a pretty good assessment to me, at least Schumann seems to get what this season is all about for the Raps unlike most of his American counterparts.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Beat me to it. I never know how these things are graded: against expectations or NBA-wide curve. In this case, I'm not sure it matters. Bargs has played well and deserves a B+ (damn injuries). I'd give Calderon a B- cause of the consistency issues. Everyone else is no better than a C. Derozan deserves an F. Davis a D. James Johnson and Barbosa get Cs. Bayless is INCOMPLETE. Everyone else is irrelevant. The offense is an F. The defense, I'll go C for a middle of the pack team. Coaching is an INCOMPLETE.
          he's not marking individually genius. So you can't give 2 different back court players 2 different marks. And you sure as hell can't give DeRozan a F for being inconsistent thats just bullshit. Thats pure hate, DeRozan will be here a long time so deal with it. Offense is definitely not an F either considering we kept up with the likes of LA, SA, NY and almost won all those games. If you were grading these you would get fired after this article. You literally just underrated every part of this team.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            he's not marking individually genius. So you can't give 2 different back court players 2 different marks. And you sure as hell can't give DeRozan a F for being inconsistent thats just bullshit. Thats pure hate, DeRozan will be here a long time so deal with it. Offense is definitely not an F either considering we kept up with the likes of LA, SA, NY and almost won all those games. If you were grading these you would get fired after this article. You literally just underrated every part of this team.
            Completely agree. If you have an opinion or something to say. Make sure its illegible.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I'd give the coaching a B+ or A- but yeah otherwise, sure.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If you get: B, C+, C, C & D ... why does that equal an overall D?
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                  Math is hard?

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    Cause they suck at math

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Completely agree. If you have an opinion or something to say. Make sure its illegible.
                      why?

Comment

My initial take was that the overall grade given was too low, based on what expectations were coming into this season. I figured the Raptors should have earned about a C, since the record was more or less on par with the average expectation.

However, after thinking more about it, I think a failing grade (since when did a D become a fail?) is fair, for the following reasons:

1) Despite Bargnani's improvements, it would be scary if this calf injury becomes a recurring problem for the rest of his career. Also, having him out so long has hindered the development of chemistry between the core players that are expected to be the cornerstone of the franchise moving forward

2) Most fans and experts agreed that the team's record wouldn't be the defining factor of this season for the Raptors, but rather the individual development of the young players would be. Given the lack of improvement, or even regression, of several young core pieces (ie: DeRozan, Davis, Amir, Bayless), there is reason to view the season as a disappointment for the long-term prospects of the franchise.

3) For a team looking beyond this season, none of their tradeable assets have been turned into anything useful for the draft/offseason to help further the rebuild (so far). I think it's safe to say that if Barbosa and possibly any of Bayless, Calderon, Amir/Davis or any of the vets (Butler, Carter, Magloire), who aren't perceived to be part of the long-term core of the team, are NOT turned into draft picks, young players or cap space ahead of the draft/offseason, there will be at least some margin of disappointment.

Obviously there is still lots of time this season to change any/all of these factors but, at the moment, I think a failing grade is fair for this franchise this season.

Comment

CNNSI has now done their mid-season report card, with the Raptors receiving a C.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ml?eref=sircrc

Comment

NBA.com gets in incomplete grade for an incomplete report card. I'm at work but this is how I see it:

Not that anyone asked for it but here's my Report Card:

Back Court: Overall C
                            JC: B+ off/C Def — Jose has been superb at moving the ball and has picked up Casey's defensive system which limits his exposure and lack of lateral quicks. He's still a little passive at times on both ends to the detriment of the team.

DD: C+ off/D- Def — DeMar has struggled with inconsistency but has really improved his range. Unfortunately he still gets into trouble slashing due to terrible handles, his court awareness is still subpar and his ability to finish through contact or use body control and creativity at the rim are non existent. Defensively he loses focus, loses his man, gets caught ball watching and generally makes Jose look like a shorter Shane Battier. What's most frustrating is you can see he CAN D up when he's focused, he just doesn't get it yet.

LB: C/D — does what he does, just not as consistently and often seems disinterested. Playing for next year.

JB: N/A — been too banged up to really tell but he's pretty much the same guy, fearless, tunnel vision and a shaky Jumper and sometimes good effort on D.

AC: D/D — exactly what we've come to expect from 70 year old 3rd string pgs that we'd ever heard of before

Forbes: C-/D — He's a D League/10 dayer IMO. Still young enough to figure it out but not much upside. Needs to carve a niche. Has had a couple of semi decent games as a fill in Point.

FORWARDS: B/C
                            AB: A+/B- — In the half of a (shortened) season he's played he's been a man on fire. Active on both ends, talking on D, mixing it up on the post. Not much to say to take away from his effort and the results other than he could still stand to see his rebounding numbers increase somewhat. DC set a target of 2/q, 8/game and he's often no where near that goal despite playing much closer to the rim this year. All that aside how much do I love the baseline drive reverse layup/dunk that has become a major weapon for the Don Drea this year? Gets me outta my seat every time. And, yes, I'm a hater.

JJ: B-/B- — a pleasant surprise this year. Started off erratic, rebuilt his jumper on the fly, has put in more strong efforts than not, cut down on the boneheaded plays and has made himself a valuable piece going forward. Defensively he's been a real bright spot. Active, hustles, hedges hard, sets solid screens and talks a lot. Plays the passing lanes well, closes out under control and rotates well. Has a few issues that I'm willing to chalk up to youth/inexperience like foul trouble and consistency but for JUST his active defence and hustle I'm willing to live with it.

RB: F/F — Has all the tools but, well, is a mess. He should be better, he has been better but for whatever reason he's been playing so far below his ability and talent that I'm actually shocked. I didn't expect a ton but this is the worst possible scenario for him with the raps. Unfortunately he's playing himself out of the league and he knows it.

LK: B+/C+ — back from a major knee injury and Linas has been killin it. Better most nights than not, posting, playing the power game when he has that advantage and stepping out for mid range and 3's whenever they lay off him. He's also brought some Reggie like swagger to the second unit getting under other guys skins while avoiding getting t'd up himself. I love watching other guys lose their shit playing Linas. Defensively he's like Jose where DC's system has done a good job of limiting his exposure off the bounce and he's played hard and smart in the zone. He's still too slow to man up 3's and too small to lock down long post players, but he tries AND gets in their heads. LK has been a very pleasant surprise. I expected a rusty shot, terrible D and lots of TO's hence the good grades.

Special Ed: D-/C+ — Ed Davis could be and should be a walking double double yet he looks like a project more often than not. Gets out of position at both ends, has Aaron Grey range, too weak and too robotic to be a threat in the post and seems lost and unsure in DC's system. I have a lot of faith in him but it'll take another year or two before we know what we have with this kid. This year has been a disappointment but he still has great instincts and a nose for the ball. Time to put it together.

Centres: D/F
                            Amir: D/C- — Amir WTF? Hasn't figured out how to stay on the court, still makes mind blowingly stupid fouls 40 feet from the basket and has actually regressed on both ends. He's not taking to DC's system well and seems to be playing soft which for Amir isn't something we're used to. Is he hurt? Is his heart broken? Is he being blackmailed by an ex? who knows but something is clearly not right with Amir.

Aaron Grey: F/B- — Big, slow, strong as an ox and about as talented offensively as one too. Dude gets some HARD picks and generally plays well on the defensive side but is 100% a liability on offence and this team really can't afford to play 4 on 5 against another teams starters.

Jamaal: D/C — Big, slow, strong as an ox and about as talented offensively as one too. Dude gets some HARD picks and generally plays well on the defensive side but is 100% a liability... at the free throw line! How many times has he aired a FT? holy hit the basket support batman! GO GLASS! IT'S EASY!!!! damn. That said Jamaal is doing more than I thought he would when signed. He plays chippy, takes opposing bigs out of their flow and is good for 6 fouls. In 2 minutes.

Alabi: N/A — D League 4 life, represent, represent.

Coach: D-/A
                            Casey has gotten his players to buy in and has tailored and adjusted his system to, gasp, SUIT THE PLAYERS ON THE ROSTER! What an out of the box thought! An NBA coach who isn't just going to hammer a square peg into a round hole (ahem, Mark Jackson). As great a revelation he's been at one end it's kinda, well, ugly on the other. Injuries have played a part but the team doesn't really have much of an identity at that end. They aren't much good in the half court, guys aren't moving without the ball and the fast break isn't all that effective. Maybe an offensive guru the way Doc Rivers needed Thibs on D or how Carlisle did with Casey.

Front Orifice: N/A
                            BC et al have built us a team that is exactly what he said it would be: built for next year. No albatross contracts, bunch of one year rentals that have zero chance of being here in the long term. Loads of cap room. An extremely intriguing big man stashed over seas and a good to great pick in the worlds deepest draft. This team is cheap, flexible and on a path that is generally considered to be the safest way to build a relevant team in the NBA. That being said the trade deadline is coming up so he could go mental and screw up what is currently a good thing because Brian loves to go all in and swing for the fences. How long can he play the patience game?

OVERALL: N/A
                            who the hell cares? like I said above: this team is built for next year. We have a good coach, some decent rotation players who are young enough to become solid, cap space and friendly contracts. The team is mostly playing hard and smart but are really only reaping Tdot because there is no option to forfeit a season in advance. During games they generally give themselves a chance to win but don't because of a lack of talent and you have to believe that the rental tag on so many guys makes it hard to always think team first. I don't hate anyone on this team but don't love any of them either.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Ed davis does not have aaron gray range. Robotic is not even close to what he is in the post. He's an excellent post player and probably has the best post moves on the entire team. He just does not have the strength to back that up. He will improve over time and I'm not ready to give up on him

Comment

Working...
                              X