Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN: "Lots of teams are calling Toronto about Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny Ainge, who was part of the Celtic legacy years of the 90's, has also came out and said that the Celtics of the 90's held on to their core of old players to long and should have rebuilt earlier. That's a huge statement! He's not afraid to move the big three, I just don't think he is getting offered enough to justify the moves.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Bargnani is young and he was having a breakout season but he doesn't have a long track record of high performance though. That means Colangelo more than likely isn't getting what he feels is full market price for a guy of Bargnani's talents and production. It's not even about bias, it's about the affect of perceived risk by the market. It's probably also about deviating from the plan and I think Bargnani is probably all over the blueprints of what Colangelo wants to build. This brings me back to my last post. To trade a big piece of the plan he would probably need an offer that would knock his socks off but how is he going to get that when Bargnani doesn't have a large window of history playing at his current level? He's played like an all-star this season but what team is going to trade a star for him who isn't an older vet? I'm sure the Celtics would ship out Garnett or Pierce today for him but what sense is that?
      You're destroying my dreams of pairing Val and Thomas Robinson.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        You're destroying my dreams of pairing Val and Thomas Robinson.
        I think Bargnani is going to be safe until after the draft. If the Raps win the lottery and get Davis, then Bargnani could be on his way out - assuming Bryan doesn't think JV/Davis/Bargnani could work.

However if the BPA is a PF (like Robinson - who I like too), then I think Bryan will open up his phone lines for a Bargnani discussion - but he may end up just trading Amir and Ed instead.

My point is that Bargnani is not going anywhere this season. If he was moved at the trade deadline then a super star would have to be coming our way - which I don't see happening.

Comment

If Colangelo never mentioned "hitting the ground running" as his intention for next season then I would argue that moving Bargnani for another first round pick might be a move he would make, but it seems like he's only interested in moving forward and is done with rebuilding.

Robinson is Amare-esque and I think he and Val would be a great tandem going forward.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            If Colangelo never mentioned "hitting the ground running" as his intention for next season then I would argue that moving Bargnani for another first round pick might be a move he would make, but it seems like he's only interested in moving forward and is done with rebuilding.

Robinson is Amare-esque and I think he and Val would be a great tandem going forward.
            I honestly like the way Bargnani has bought into Casey's system, and plays very well on both ends..

But I wouldn't be angry if they traded Bargnani for a pick to grab Thomas Robinson or Anthony Davis. I would be a little unhappy, I would love to see an inside/outside threat with 2 very good potential big men. They way these two play could really fit, and they can flourish together.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Calderon to LA for Diaw?

Total speculation on author's part and noted:

The Los Angeles Lakers have a large enough trade exception ($8.9 million but the rules allow for $100k of flexibility) to acquire Diaw outright although he doesn’t fit their need either positionally (point guard) or age (Diaw is almost 30). In theory (and completely speculatively) LA could line up two-straight moves, Diaw for the trade exception and then a second, separate deal – Diaw out to acquire Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon who is also rumored to be available.

Calderon is on Toronto’s books for $9.8 million this season and $10.6 million the next. The Lakers have no means to acquire Jose given his salary is larger than their exception but Diaw, along with a first-round pick might appeal to the Raptors.

Toronto, like Charlotte, is rebuilding. While they would need a point guard to replace Calderon, the Raptors may be better served to that end getting Calderon’s eight-figures of the books next season.

Calderon also has a 10% trade kicker, which wouldn’t be an impediment in this theoretical exercise.

While Calderon is not much of a defender, he is one of the better play-making point guards in the league. He’s a strong shooter and has a close relationship with Lakers forward Pau Gasol.

LA has flirted with trading Gasol but that decision hasn’t been made. If the team can acquire a suitable point guard while keeping the existing core together, they may choose to do so. Certainly the Lakers won’t deal Pau unless the return is tremendous.

Whether they’d be willing to take on Calderon’s sizable salary is a bigger question but Calderon’s contract expires before the dreaded “supertax” kicks in as part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
              http://www.hoopsworld.com/diaw-as-trade-pawn

This is very similar to the idea I had of LA trading for Hinrich and sending him back to Toronto. I don't think the trade would work straight up, which it would have to, due to Calderon's trade kicker. However, players are free to waive that if they agree. To play for a contender and with Gasol in LA, I wonder if Calderon would do such a thing? This is obviously speculation on my part.

Comment

Just curious, why would we want Diaw? We just looking to give away Calderon, or? Just doesn't make sense to me.. Bayless blows, so we have no starting pg.. A team run by Bayless and AC? That's enough to give you nightmares.

Comment

Trade for D collison!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Total speculation on author's part and noted:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/diaw-as-trade-pawn

This is very similar to the idea I had of LA trading for Hinrich and sending him back to Toronto. I don't think the trade would work straight up, which it would have to, due to Calderon's trade kicker. However, players are free to waive that if they agree. To play for a contender and with Gasol in LA, I wonder if Calderon would do such a thing? This is obviously speculation on my part.
                    Interesting idea. I hope Toronto would get more than just LA's 1st round pick, since that wouldn't seem like enough in return for Calderon.

Diaw is an expiring contract and I assume Charlotte would cover a good portion of his contract anyway, given that they are rumored to be considered buying him out. If Toronto were to pay even a portion of his contract for the remainder of the season, I'd love it if we made Charlotte include their 2nd round pick for taking Diaw off their hands (would likely be pick 31-35).
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Mar 6, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                      Just curious, why would we want Diaw? We just looking to give away Calderon, or? Just doesn't make sense to me.. Bayless blows, so we have no starting pg.. A team run by Bayless and AC? That's enough to give you nightmares.
                      The Lakers have two first rounders. One happens to be the 20th overall pick right now. Diaw has an expiring contract. If they opted for this they would clear Calderon's contract so that they have more money to play with in free agency and they add a second 1st rounder. With that they could totally revamp their point guard spot signing a guy like D.J. Augustin and then drafting a PG prospect with thier second 1st rounder. They would also have to option of resigning Diaw, who is a highly effective multidimensional player when motivated. His next contract will be a fraction of his current. He can play both forward spots and center by the way.

This is not me supporting the rumor, this is me making sense of it.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        The Lakers have two first rounders. One happens to be the 20th overall pick right now. Diaw has an expiring contract. If they opted for this they would clear Calderon's contract so that they have more money to play with in free agency and they add a second 1st rounder. With that they could totally revamp their point guard spot signing a guy like D.J. Augustin and then drafting a PG prospect with thier second 1st rounder. They would also have to option of resigning Diaw, who is a highly effective multidimensional player when motivated. His next contract will be a fraction of his current. He can play both forward spots and center by the way.

This is not me supporting the rumor, this is me making sense of it.
                        Yeah, that makes more sense and I'm not hating on Diaw, just doesn't fit our needs right now. I wouldn't mind what you're proposing but I wouldn't wanna overpay for a guy like Augustin just because we're in need of a pg, so there does appear to be some risk in that sort of deal. Obviously another first rounder wouldn't hurt, and having a little more money to throw at guys in the offseason would help. I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, and I guess it does open things up a little in case we did trade Amir or Ed. Let's see what happens.

Comment

OK, this one I could potentially get behind, especially if Charlotte does throw in a pick so that we get 2 picks and an expiring contract who can still play a bit. I still hate to lose Jose, but this is a pretty decent deal, and seems to satisfy all parties. It would mean an ugly last 30 games, with Bayless or point-forward Diaw running the O, but it provides a lot more return/cap flex for Calderon than some of the other ideas thrown out there...
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Can this work? Isn't there restrictions on moving players back to back like that. Like after trading for a player you can't just move him right away.

*EDIT*

I answered my own question

"For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player's salary is aggregated with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player either by himself (not packaged with other players), or without combining his salary with other salaries to acquire a more expensive player, immediately. This restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap. "
                            Last edited by saints91; Wed Mar 7, 2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Diaw? Barf.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                Diaw? Barf.
                                Nothing wrong with Diaw as an expiring contract. He might even come in handy during the final 25 games if Kleiza's knee explodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X